Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:48 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

I am not nor have I ever been a kissy face huggy type person....I must get to know you first, before showing you affection....and I wear my heart on my sleeve. Not a good trait, but it's who I am.

So, this woman comes up to me at work, not introducing herself, slamming down her computer on my desk, and saying to me, "I'm going to pick your brain".

And I'm like... ok.....

So, when she is finished asking me how to do something, (apparently she is new) and she's an older woman, she moves in and says, I'm going to give you a hug...and I put out my hand, to stop her while saying, "I'm not into hugging at all". and she says, "Well I AM and she continues to hug me.

Now, that makes me so super uncomfortable. First, I have a compromised immune system....so hugging is off the table with most folks.

Second, to me, this is a real good example of "how not to act with others". If someone says, "I'm not into hugging others". Then please respect that. Of course I didn't push her away, but, my reaction to an unwanted hug was stiff as a board....lol

Have you ever encountered this? This to me is unacceptable behavior in the work place.
Now believe me, there are people at work who I've known for a long time and I hug, but whoa, first meeting....she never even told me her name or introduced herself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 06:58 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Rude, inconsiderate, and definitely inappropriate in the workplace.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Rude, inconsiderate, and definitely inappropriate in the workplace.

Where I work, that could get a person written up.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:23 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Yeah, that was not a great move on her part.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
I never hugged anyone at work, nor did I get hugged. It was hand shakes or high fives or just words of thanks or appreciation. Some people, yes usually older women, are like that though. They don't really see those personal boundaries and think they are being nice.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
This is a person who doesn't want to keep their job. There's huggers everywhere and even some at work but if you say no and they still do it, I'd report it. It's rude, wrong, and weird.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:32 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
There are a few people I work with who I've been known to hug (or they hug me) but these are people I've worked with for almost 15 years, and we've traveled together, hung out together, and developed friendships outside of work. Many of them work in different cities, so we don't see each other frequently, and when we do, we usually hug.

But for a random person in my office to hug me when I've expressed that I'd rather not? Hell no.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I never hugged anyone at work, nor did I get hugged. It was hand shakes or high fives or just words of thanks or appreciation. Some people, yes usually older women, are like that though. They don't really see those personal boundaries and think they are being nice.
Every once in a while, there are a few ladies, who we've known each other for years, they hug me....and they know I'm not really fond of it, but still do so and I tolerate it b/c I know them and like them very much, nice women, there are 3 of them, that I can think of, but I am not a hugger and they know it and respect that.

But this really surprised me, and yes, very unprofessional....

so much so, that if she comes around again, I'm going to tell her straight out....it might be nice for you to introduce yourself....and it's extremely unprofessional to give hugs to a stranger....especially in a work place environment.

That to me was quit rude and pushy....

Old 05-07-2019, 08:07 AM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
What she did was extremely unprofessional. She might have come from a work environment which fostered such actions and therefore did it because it's a known factor, but someone should tell her that it was way out of place.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What she did was extremely unprofessional. She might have come from a work environment which fostered such actions and therefore did it because it's a known factor, but someone should tell her that it was way out of place.
Yes, I agree, and will do so...when I find out what her name is....we'll talk....believe me..that is no way to start a new job....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships