Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 02:29 AM

1,159 posts, read 621,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My late husband's brother lives in CA. He's over 80 now, has emphysema and COPD and years ago he called DH and asked if we could send him cigarettes because the taxes are much lower in our state. They'd pay us back.

Well, they didn't- but then DH and I were very comfortable and he and DSIL were just scraping by, due partly to quitting paying jobs too early in life. I/we continued sending them, even after DH died 3 years ago, but for the last year or so they never asked for refills. DSIL had told me in our last conversation that DBIL was in very bad shape and not likely to last too much longer. Even years ago he couldn't walk out to the mailbox at the end of the driveway without needing time to stop and catch his breath again.

So... when I got a voicemail from her I expected the worst. No, it wasn't that- DBIL had quit smoking for awhile but now he started again Could I send cigarettes?

Yeah, I will. Must be a powerful addiction.

Just needed to vent. Thanks!
No you shouldn't. Not because it's illegal, but because you're making it worse. Enabling the issue. Say nope sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 02:59 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
My late husband's brother lives in CA. He's over 80 now, has emphysema and COPD and years ago he called DH and asked if we could send him cigarettes because the taxes are much lower in our state. They'd pay us back.
Sounds like the type of person who will light up while they're on oxygen. Every year there's someone in the news who blew up their house due to this special brand of stupidity.

But honestly, OP, I don't get you. You're clucking over their request ("Some people...") and yet enabling, too, even though the enabling puts the couple at risk.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:59 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,930 times
I returned SIL's call yesterday evening. Wow. Things were much worse than I thought.

DBIL is in full-blown dementia and DSIL is trying to take care of him at home. He was in a rehab facility 3 months after falling down the stairs and she wanted to keep him there but found it would cost $5,000/month. They make $150/month too much for Medi-Cal to pay his costs (military pension and SS disability so they can't "manage" their income stream). He's hit her at times, called her profane names and then doesn't remember it the next day. (Yes, I AM going to recommend the Caregiving Forum here.)

Anyway, the cigarettes- he's obsessing about wanting cigarettes and they're $17/pack in CA. And yes, she's aware that she'll have to watch him like a hawk when he lights up. The wildfires in CA last year stopped only a couple of miles from their house and they had to move in with family in San Francisco for months, so she knows about fire.

You never know what some people are dealing with till you talk to them. DSIL is 66, my age, and DBIL is 84. She's a trained RN and thinks maybe she should go back to work after he dies but she has multiple health issues. I almost feel guilty because my life is a walk in the park right now.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 AM

17,789 posts, read 9,233,277 times
Quote:
they're $17/pack in CA.
That doesn't sound right.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:30 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Quote:
I returned SIL's call yesterday evening. Wow. Things were much worse than I thought.

DBIL is in full-blown dementia and DSIL is trying to take care of him at home. He was in a rehab facility 3 months after falling down the stairs and she wanted to keep him there but found it would cost $5,000/month. They make $150/month too much for Medi-Cal to pay his costs (military pension and SS disability so they can't "manage" their income stream). He's hit her at times, called her profane names and then doesn't remember it the next day. (Yes, I AM going to recommend the Caregiving Forum here.)

Anyway, the cigarettes- he's obsessing about wanting cigarettes and they're $17/pack in CA. And yes, she's aware that she'll have to watch him like a hawk when he lights up. The wildfires in CA last year stopped only a couple of miles from their house and they had to move in with family in San Francisco for months, so she knows about fire.

You never know what some people are dealing with till you talk to them. DSIL is 66, my age, and DBIL is 84. She's a trained RN and thinks maybe she should go back to work after he dies but she has multiple health issues. I almost feel guilty because my life is a walk in the park right now.
Okay ...

At any rate, I hope you're not still shipping cigs to them.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:30 AM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That doesn't sound right.
It's not correct according to what I'm reading.

Map of Cigarette Excise Taxes & Price Per Pack It says NJ is $7.66 which is wrong, Marlboro box is $8.50

It says CA is $5.53 per pack. I'd assume it's also off by at least a dollar or so.

Quote:

Did you read the link posted that mailing cigarettes is illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Here is info from the horse's mouth. Be careful OP.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_025.htm

Old 09-22-2019, 08:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,393,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Map of Cigarette Excise Taxes & Price Per Pack It says NJ is $7.66 which is wrong, Marlboro box is $8.50

It says CA is $5.53 per pack. I'd assume it's also off by at least a dollar or so.

Did you read the link posted that mailing cigarettes is illegal?
Maaaaaybe - counties and cities can also add taxes to cigarettes, e.g. Chicago:

Chicago ($1.18) plus Cook County ($3.00) plus Illinois ($2.98) = $7.16 TAXES per pack (plus the actual cost of the cigarettes, ya know!)

So CA as a state is one thing but what it costs in LA might be quite another - not sure where the OP's BIL lives.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:33 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,776,705 times
A bit off-topic, but Athena is BIL a veteran of either Korea or Viet Nam (since you mentioned military pension)? He could be eligible for VA A&A which might give them another $1000 or so towards the cost of a care home. SIL should also look into a VA hospital possibly. At this point you just need to stop sending the cigarettes, the damage is done, but he needs to quit before he kills himself, and possibly SIL too if he's on oxygen. I know it's hard to deny them the help, but you can say that you just found out it's illegal.

17,789 posts, read 9,233,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

That website says RI is $8.87 and MA is $9.08. The price for Marlboros is actually $11 in both states.

I'd assume the website is either slightly outdated or they're averaging in the lower cost generic cigarettes.

There is no way cigs are $17 in CA.

13,285 posts, read 8,468,196 times
Or buy a compact rolling device and a list of tobacco shops. They can roll their own for far cheaper.

I worked medical and at this end stage that nicotine fix isn't going to change the outcome . If they stop entirely.

I cared for (25 yrs ago) a full blown alcoholic with liver damage. The person actually had a doctor's order to have 2 ounces of wine every few hours. The doc understood the reality. The person had passed the point of no return.

I personally do not "aide" though a person's addiction. I do though understand from the docs p.o.v. how pointless it is to put a bandaid on a slashed limb. Too little too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships