Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:06 AM

17,770 posts, read 9,215,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
I regret to say this but I am done with this message board. Very sad to see how mean and disrespectful people can be on this site. Just a small percentage of people who enjoy being miserable ruin eveything on this message board. Hard to believe someone would look up older messages and attack me personally on this site. I guess some people have a lot of idle time on their hand. I will never start a new thread on here ever again. Very sad because this is a great informative site.
It wasn't an attack. I thought it was solid advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 04:30 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Hello,
Many years ago back in 1975 I had an Aunt and Uncle who I cared deeply about and were special to me as I was growing up. I was only twelve years old at the time. They had one daughter who was eighteen, my cousin.
Unfortunately my favorite uncle was stricken with brain cancer and passed away within six months. I was very sad at the time but what made matters worse is my Mother decided it was best for me not to attend the funeral when he passed away. I did not even know my uncle had passed away until two months later. He is buried close by and I, with the help of my wife take care of his grave site.
During 1975, my cousin decides to move to Canada with her fiancee and my favorite aunt leaves and goes with the both of them. My family did not know what city they had moved to and unfortunately my cousin and aunt did not keep in touch with us. I was always confused about all of this growing up and even today at the age of 55 I am still confused and somewhat hurt. Why did they avoid keeping in touch with me when they knew I cared about them? My cousin married and of course I did not know her married last name so I did not know where to begin to look for them when I could research on the internet.
Recently, after tending to my uncles grave, my wife suggested trying to reach out and locate my aunt and cousin once again. I looked for obituaries online in the cities of Canada and actually located my aunt. She had passed away in 2009. I was never informed obviously and became sad hearing about her passing.
I was able to see my cousins last name after reading the obituary and decided to reach out to her. My wife thought it was a good idea too.
I wrote a hand written letter, four pages long to my cousin about how I felt about my uncle and aunt and congratulated her on having grandchildren and even enclosed pictures of my wife and i and our children.
(I gave my cousin my e-mail address, home address and my cell phone number.) I wrote this letter over a month ago and even tried to reach out to her on the linked in career site. For some unknown reason to me, my cousin has not replied to any of my messages or the hand written letter I sent to her. I even mentioned how we take care of her fathers grave but that did not even get a response. (My aunt was buried in Canada.) I am surprised, disappointed and hurt by this occurring and have a hard time dealing with it for some reason. I have to ask the obvious questions, should I just move on from trying to connect with my cousin? I know deep down I did nothing wrong but I feel she could have at least sent me a reply. I would appreciate any helpful advice you have about this issue. Thank You!
I can't tell you why you didn't a get reply.

I can tell you, though, from experience, that very often long letters intimidate people. Replying seems like an impossible task. If you wrote it by hand, sometimes even reading seems impossible.

Here's my suggestion. On December 1, mail them a lovely Christmas card, and mention that you'd love to re-connect, and that you'd sent them a long letter in the fall, which you hope reached them. Add something about your fond memories - and tell them that if they didn't receive the letter, you can send them a copy (I hope you made a copy!).

Old 10-15-2019, 05:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Thank You very much for the thoughtful sample letter( thinkalot post) That was very thoughtful!
That wasn't me. I am against contacting them again. As I said before they didn't tell you when your uncle died and you never heard from them again. Let it go before you find out something you don't want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships