Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well then, in an ideal world, what is your definition of experiencing a lot of fun and entertainment, and what is your idea of having a blast with your friends?

I feel that with our current culture, there is too much of an emphasis on us needing to experience "highs" as a definition of good times. So we're inundated with tv commercials of how wonderful Miller Time is at a clean looking non-smelly club or bar full of beautiful smiling people. And we all love that rush of caffeine or sugar from drinking coffee, sodas or candy. Or those cell phone commercials where everyone is constantly talking to or texting their friends. And if I were in college now, I still wouldn't care about during that spring break thing and going with friends to some beach to get drunk and pick up boys. Yuck.

And in real life, I find most clubs too loud and crowded and filled with rude shoving people who definitely aren't all that attractive. And I hate being pestered by phone calls and IM's of no substance. And for me, I love my quiet times. I love sitting in my yard looking at the river on a beautiful day with my dogs. And quality times with a friend is going to a good ethnic restaurant and talking with them about what's going on in our lives and our future plans.
My idea of having fun with friends is going on roadtrips, off roading trips, trips to the river, go boating, waterskiing, jetskiing, amusement parks and rock concerts, I know that I would've always feel excited and looking forward to getting together with those kind of friends and I also wanna make sure that those people are fun to be around and easy to get along with.

There are other activities I enjoy doing on my own and I like going out for bike rides around town and out in the country, go railfanning (watching the trains going by) and getting together with a group of friends and do various things such as swimming, watching movies together and dine out at our favorite restaurants.

I personally don't like being bothered by cellphones and all what I own is a tracphone and that is enough for me, I usually use my tracphone for emergency purposes only.

I don't like the people who hang out at bars and nightclubs either, alot of them are either rude, unfriendly, snobby and stuck up and I don't feel comfortable associating with those people, plus I always get afraid I might anger one of the drunks to where they'll start a fight with me.

There was one time at a friends wedding one of my old friends from high school had snubbed me off cause she wanted to hang out with her other friends and I've felt hurt and betrayed by it cause I thought we were friends and she was everything I wanted to be back in high school, I later realized that me and her didn't have much in common and we don't relate to each other very well and I am grateful for the friends I do have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I just want to be able to experience alot of fun and entertainment in life and to be able to have a blast with friends but I guess that I just wasn't cut out to live that lifestyle or to have the friends who can provide me with that kind of lifestyle....I am not the kind of person who wants to hurt anybody and I do try to take the good with the bad, I do believe that there is a good reason why I am friends with the people who I'm friends with and why I've gotten snubbed off by alot of people who I thought were my friends...
News flash: your friends are not responsible for providing you with a "kind of lifestyle" (your words, not mine). Again, are you aware of the fact that the world does not revolve around you? And that others are not responsible for providing you with jack sh*t?

And coming on the heels of your OP you again reference a "snub." You sound extremely thin-skinned and appear to perceive trivial slights as deep betrayals.

Here's my advice to you: grow up

Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 AM

169 posts, read 538,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
News flash: your friends are not responsible for providing you with a "kind of lifestyle" (your words, not mine). Again, are you aware of the fact that the world does not revolve around you? And that others are not responsible for providing you with jack sh*t?

And coming on the heels of your OP you again reference a "snub." You sound extremely thin-skinned and appear to perceive trivial slights as deep betrayals.

Couldn't have said it any better. LOL

Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post

I do know that the world does not revolve around me and that true friendships are not about them providing you the lifestyle that I wanna live.

I am really sorry that I've had to be so selfish and greedy over getting angry at my friends who didn't want to speak to me and those who have snubbed me off and those who couldn't provide me the lifestyle I wanna live.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
I do know that the world does not revolve around me and that true friendships are not about them providing you the lifestyle that I wanna live.

I am really sorry that I've had to be so selfish and greedy over getting angry at my friends who didn't want to speak to me and those who have snubbed me off and those who couldn't provide me the lifestyle I wanna live.
You just have to remember that people are independent souls just like you. Sometimes they get busy with other people and you have to learn to shrug it off and take it less as a permanent rejection of you and more as they are temporarily needed by another friend. Remember that variety is the spice of life. And if someone is a great person to hang out with, it's normal to have to share them with others. Also, don't smother your friends, give them some space and a chance to miss your company!

BTW, IMO the only source of unconditional love and devotion would be to get a dog or a cat. I'm serious about this one. So far, I've had four cats and five dogs in my life and each one brought me great joy and support. If you can't have a pet where you live or don't have time to give to a full time pet, consider volunteering for an animal shelter. You're in Austin, TX? I know that there is a Mopac Expressway in Austin. Anyway, if so, there's a great dog rescue group called Blue Dog Rescue based there. I'm sure that they always need volunteers to socialize, evaluate and train their dogs waiting for adoption.

Blue Dog Rescue

Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
You just have to remember that people are independent souls just like you. Sometimes they get busy with other people and you have to learn to shrug it off and take it less as a permanent rejection of you and more as they are temporarily needed by another friend. Remember that variety is the spice of life. And if someone is a great person to hang out with, it's normal to have to share them with others. Also, don't smother your friends, give them some space and a chance to miss your company!

BTW, IMO the only source of unconditional love and devotion would be to get a dog or a cat. I'm serious about this one. So far, I've had four cats and five dogs in my life and each one brought me great joy and support. If you can't have a pet where you live or don't have time to give to a full time pet, consider volunteering for an animal shelter. You're in Austin, TX? I know that there is a Mopac Expressway in Austin. Anyway, if so, there's a great dog rescue group called Blue Dog Rescue based there. I'm sure that they always need volunteers to socialize, evaluate and train their dogs waiting for adoption.

Blue Dog Rescue

I am starting to realize that she could've been really busy and didn't have time to talk to me or maybe she needed to catch up with her other friends, I do feel there was a good reason why she couldn't chat with me the other night and that there are many other people who I can be friends with and I do have plenty of other friends of all ages and walks of life.

I sometimes wish I can have a dog as my pet and I do think of them dogs as really friendly and loving animals and unfortunately our residence doesn't allow pets in our house but we do have a cat and she is a well behaved cat.

I'm actually from a small town in Washington State and I've gotten my name from the Missouri Pacific Railroad, that sounds like a really neat place for them to have a dog rescue group and I like how they would train the dogs for adoption, every dogs and animals need a good home that's for sure.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
I am starting to realize that she could've been really busy and didn't have time to talk to me or maybe she needed to catch up with her other friends, I do feel there was a good reason why she couldn't chat with me the other night and that there are many other people who I can be friends with and I do have plenty of other friends of all ages and walks of life.
I'm sure that she didn't mean to snub you. Considering your ages, there is so much more happening in life besides sitting at your computers. And if she is a good person, then maybe another friend needed her that night also.

If you are too needy seeming to her, she might start backing off from you. So just try to be more relaxed about your relationship with her. And as her friend, you should be only wishing the best life for her, even if that means her having a fuller social life off the internet and with the people in her local area.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that she didn't mean to snub you. Considering your ages, there is so much more happening in life besides sitting at your computers. And if she is a good person, then maybe another friend needed her that night also.

If you are too needy seeming to her, she might start backing off from you. So just try to be more relaxed about your relationship with her. And as her friend, you should be only wishing the best life for her, even if that means her having a fuller social life off the internet and with the people in her local area.

Me and her are close friends and we do chat with each other alot and she does think of me as a very good person with a heart of gold and she knows what I've gone through in life and to where I am coming from, I do feel that maybe she needed her own space and I do seem to think very highly of her and she has helped me cope with the situations and the turmoils I've gone through in the past and I kind of did expect alot out of her.

Right now as for the people who I wanted to be friends with so they could provide me the lifestyle I wanna live, I can care less about that cause it's not gonna make me any happier, I just wanna make the best of what I have in life and to do the right thing and to be happy with what I do have.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
...I just wanna make the best of what I have in life and to do the right thing and to be happy with what I do have.
Now this sounds like a formula for success. I urge you to drop the language of friends "providing you with a lifestyle," as if your buddies somehow frame your existence and serve as your own personal traveling road show.

BTW, "Mopac" is also the commonly-used name for a major highway in Austin, Texas (the name taken, of course, from the same Missouri Pacific railroad)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships