Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Amen to that, Thanks for the thread, it's great to be able to share.
It might be painful to remember but I think its good to remember how valuable these people were and still are in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,561 times
i am 12 years old i lost my grandma 2 years ago on October 16 2008 between the hours of 8-9 am i miss her ssssoooo much its ssssooo hard 2 write this im crying i wish she was here with me. i even had a nickname binkus she was like my best friend. she was very ill a lot of stuff happend 2 her. i really mis her the day she died i was going 2 the bronx zoo with my class i was ssssoooo cheerfull when i got home but i new somthing was up with my mom she was crying and asking me how my day was on. that day binkus(grandma) told my mom that she was going 2 die 2day but she always said that i just really miss my grandma i crul up im my moms arm asking y was it he, y that day just really y . im just a lost girl with somthing missing in life and thats her i really miss my binkus!:'(

Old 03-27-2010, 09:32 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
I only have one dead grandparent, was scared my grandmother was going to be gone a few weeks ago. I never met either of my grandfathers, one died before I was born and the other walked out on the family and is still alive.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:32 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
My grandma was awesome, and she is dearly missed!!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,431 times
Granma was cool. Really. She had this way about her.
She never walked in a straight line, but side to side, I liked that about her.
She could play you a mean game of Trouble, and blame you for cheating!
On New Years Eve, she always had her entire house spotless cleaned, even her linens ironed, ALOT of food cooked, cuz she believed what you did on the eve, was how you lived all year.
I loved the smell of her kitchen downstairs, kind of like wooden matchsticks and hot peppers on the skillet.
She always had a stack of fresh tortillas for every meal and would insist even if you weren't hungry - "EAAAAT EAAAAT".
I loved it when we were allowed to go upstairs, I'd sit on her couch and she'd play the piano, odd, I remember the curtains there, they were paisley. There was a hallway that I called secret since it wrapped around the house in a weird manner.
We'd go outside in the back yard and eat sour grapes till they were coming out our ears.
We'd sit on the bench in the front, and I can still smell her roses.
She loved bingo and I always said: 'she died doing what she loved'....
She was born in 1900 and died in 1977.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:43 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Thursday was the 26th anniversary of my Grandma's passing and I miss her just as much as today as I missed her then. She was my best friend and dear ally. She made my mother let me be a "big girl": I insisted I could walk myself to school and my Grandmother drove all the way across town and followed me to school. (I never knew she was there) Our special times were early in the morning about 5:00 am. She would cook us a bowl of oatmeal and I'd have toast with jelly. She make me a cup of coffee (more milk than coffee). She always made me feel special. Every Thanksgiving she would make me stuffing without green peppers and onions and tell everyone that no one could eat the stuffing in the neck except me. She handmade all of my costumes for school plays. And when I turned 12, she introduced me to Soap Operas.

I was only 15 when she died and unfortunately I witnessed her last moments just prior to her death. To me, the way she died was the greatest testament of her love for me. When she realized she wasn't going to make it, she made a show of strength so that my sister and I wouldn't be scared.

I miss my grandmother terribly and thank you all for sharing your grandmothers.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

Why do you miss your Grandparents?
I never got the chance to know them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,561 times
im 11 years old and i lost my grandma at 10 yeears old the day i went 2 the bronx zoo with my grade. she died Oct 16 between 7-10 am. my grandmaa lived with me my whole life i didnt call her grandma or nanna i called her binkus idk y but thats the word i think of every day. i think about her every day off my life some night i cant sleep and i just cry and run into my my moms room and cry. my grandma was a very ill lady we needed a nurse 2 come in every day (she was the 1 who found her) my grandma only had 1 leg and well im not going 2 say everything but.i still remember he wakes and funirel srry im just cant really write about this its sssooo hard well i was the last 1 out 2 see her i was standing write next 2 my cuz jen i still feel her waxy skin and i can hear her last words were 2 me was "I luv u" i was rushing out because i didnt want 2 miss the bus and her last word to my mom and aunts was (im going 2 use my moms name) "kim im going 2 die 2day" she aways said that but she did. when i get home i new somthing was wrong because my mom was crying and my cuz jen came over. when my mom told me i was shocked askeing my mom is this a joke r u kidding me and when i looked at her i new, i droped on 2my knees and was getting sick i couldnt breath i ran 2 my aunts house were she lived after me and my mom moved out and my aunt had 2 stop me from pushing down her. it felt good letting this out this and i just want 2 say from a youtube video hat helped me a little a boy said god also lost a son and i also want 2 say is R.I.P binkus i will miss and i will c u again. I love u :') and miss u :'(

Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I miss my Grandmother because she would sew anything for me, barbie clothes, clothes for me, curtains, costumes whatever I needed.

In her eyes I was always a good child.

She was the only one who would allow me to have just a LITTLE Dr. Pepper.

She took me to KFC as a treat.

She would allow me to sleep with her when I was young because she understood that I was affraid of the dark.

She never yelled at me once, never.

She was the only patient and truly caring person in my family.

My Grandmother was born in 1898 in Texas. She remembered so many things isn her life. She was like an animated history book. She even saw Haley's comet twice in her life.
That kind of life span made her a wise woman, like no one else I have ever met.

Why do you miss your Grandparents?

Well, I feel very strange reading this. Because I do everything on this list with my kids, except for "never yelling" haha. I think it's because I had kids at the age when in 1898 you'd become a grandparent. I do let the kids eat ice cream and I don't have to say "don't tell your mom" because I am the mom. I love having kids later in life, - precisely because of the OP's list. I wouldn't be that kind of a mom in my 20s, - the kind that is implied in the OP, that a real mom would not do things on the list.

And yes, I loved my Grandma, she was born in 1917 and died in 1995. She became a Grandma to me at 45, which I find very strange now, being 46 and having 5 and 6 year old kids.

Last edited by nuala; 04-18-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
One of the most amazing songs Ive ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5PvCe4xrq0

Think I'll call or visit my grandma this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships