Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I couldn't care less about forging "real relationships," as you call them. I'm not a girl, that kind of thing doesn't interest me. The world doesn't revolve around relationships, that sounds like something a teenage girl would think up. I'm sorry, not all of us watch Grey's Anatomy, The Hills, and Sex and the City and gossip about each other's relationships. Who honestly cares? I have a great group of guy friends, and I have a lot more important things to do than spend all of my time on "relationships." Get real.
Um. I hate to break this to you, but "having a great group of guy friends" are RELATIONSHIPS. duh! Every interaction with any other human being on this planet is based upon some type of human relationship, whether it is casual, romantic, professional, etc. How old are we?????

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 09:00 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
See, what's interesting is that I'm probably only a few years older than Jonathan here - yet we are worlds apart in comprehending what's really important in life.

Go on now, your video game and a dark room await you.
Don't forget...the video game in the dark room in his mommy's basement

Old 10-18-2008, 09:01 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
See, what's interesting is that I'm probably only a few years older than Jonathan here - yet we are worlds apart in comprehending what's really important in life.

Go on now, your video game and a dark room await you.
What's really important? So what's really important to you? I rarely even play video games, but they are fun, especially when you're younger. I have no time for that kind of thing anymore, though.

What's really important is making a name for yourself, building a successful career, but not just successful, trying to achieve goals that are worthy of greatness. It doesn't mean you'll ever get there, it doesn't mean you'll be rich and famous and powerful, but that's the idea, that's the goal. THAT is what is really important! Not a life of hedonism, and not a life of mediocrity -- white picket fence, 2.5 kids, and some ordinary wife. If that's what you think is important, carry on, you'll be forgotten soon after you die. Nobody will care you even lived. But if you achieve greatness, your name will never die.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,939 times
Jonathan, there is more to life than electronic gadgets and video games. What was the last you made, from scratch, with your hands?

The craftsmanship of items from years gone by is barely replicated today - we are surrounded by mass produced junk. The old woodworking, the pottery, the steel & iron works, the building structures - no match for the crap we have now.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 PM

Who cares about making things with your hands? I don't. I have no interest in that crap. If you do, you can still do it! It's available to you. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean you can't do it. And just because most people don't care about that stuff anymore doesn't mean it's some sad loss. The knowledge is still there, as are the materials.

Electronic gadgets are pretty much what makes life great, really. I mean I wouldn't be here talking to you without this computer. I'm a filmmaker -- I need all of these "gadgets" to make movies. If they weren't around, I wouldn't be in the film industry. Even 20 years ago, it was nearly impossible to make indie films if you didn't have millions of dollars. Now you can make pro work with a setup of about $50,000 to $100,000 in tools, like highly professional work. It's a great world we live in, one that is more democratized than ever before.

Let's not forget that it wasn't that long ago when women couldn't vote and you'd never have a black man running for President. Now, even the highest office in the land is up for grabs for women, black men, etc. It's really a much fairer time, with a lot more people who are a lot more understanding.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:12 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post

I was asked many personal questions that in today's society most younger people would never ask a stranger. (Like: Where exactly do I work, am I married, do I have kids, what are my kids names, where did I grow up, etc) I think these type of conversations with strangers were much more common in their day but not anymore.
I honestly don`t think that those questions were out of line, especially coming from an elderly person.
If more people were neighborly like they used to be, in their "common day" then maybe the world wouldn`t be as bitter, distant, and cold, as it is today.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM

Eh, I'm not sure the world is bitter or cold, it's just people are cautious in who they interact with, they're smarter. You may say more cynical, but still it's necessary. Being too trusting is a weakness.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:15 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Eh, I'm not sure the world is bitter or cold, it's just people are cautious in who they interact with, they're smarter. You may say more cynical, but still it's necessary. Being too trusting is a weakness.
Buddy, go watch Sponge Bob or something...this forum is for grown ups...

Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Yes, go watch Elmo and Sponge Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Buddy, go watch Sponge Bob or something...this forum is for grown ups...

Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Like you? You're obviously not a grown up -- you have an immature sense of what's important in life, mediocre at best, and you seem not to understand the harsh realities of the REAL world we live in. Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships