Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 03:38 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

I must be... although I don't mean to be. One day I was at the market, and this woman began talking to me as we were both standing in the cereal aisle, and she went into great detail for five minutes about the medication she was on, how miserable she was being married, how her mother was so sick and she couldn't help her, etc. I just smiled and nodded. She finally wound down and was apologizing left and right, but by then she was also crying. I told her, "No, it's fine - really." It's sad that some people feel so alone they end up unburdening themselves to a total stranger. She was neurotic but not insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 04:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
lol great topic and that was hilarious how he just blurted that out. Don't people have any shame?

Anyways, yes one of my guy friends kept telling me over and over again that he has a learning disability and so many learning problems....and he also seemed proud of it too.

there have been other situations with strangers that are like that too.....

one time in an English class a lady wrote an essay about her depression when her parents divorced and she kept talking on and on about how she couldn't eat for six weeks straight and just dumped it all out onto the class for her oral presentation......her speech lasted like nearly 20 minutes and the professor was too shy to tell her to take a seat and stuff a sock in it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have noticed that people say the darndest things to me sometimes...they are not being rude, just jumping the gun on information sharing in the course of a normal conversation.

Last night, we were at a party, I asked the security guard where the ladies room was, we talked for a second and I asked if he was retired from the police department and he said "No, I smoked too much weed in 1969 and drank too much hard liquor to go into law enforcement"

Too much information too fast... and people are ALWAYS doing this. It really cracks me up. My hubby says I should apply for Barbara Walters jobs because people just talk, talk, talk to me and fast. Strange.

Does this happen to you?

Old 10-18-2008, 04:53 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
It goes both ways. Im an open book if you give me an outlet and people find me approachable so they always tell me TMI

Old 10-18-2008, 07:04 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
I get that too. People have always told me way more than I wanted to know. I think its because we listen. Not everybody does ya know.

Personally I think people tell things to strangers cause its "safe". If you tell your next door neighbors all your husbands faults you know the next time they see you they will be wondering why the Hell is she still with that azzhole.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I get that too. People have always told me way more than I wanted to know. I think its because we listen. Not everybody does ya know.

Personally I think people tell things to strangers cause its "safe". If you tell your next door neighbors all your husbands faults you know the next time they see you they will be wondering why the Hell is she still with that azzhole.
I wish it were only strangers who tell me amazing amounts of private things but it is neighbors, employees, etc.

A neighbor that I knew for 10 minutes told me ALL about her divorce, her settlement, her husbands girlfriend and the lack of sex during the 3 years preceding their divorce YUCK!!

I don't tell anyone but my husband this stuff so maybe people know we are trustworthy...who knows

Old 10-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I wish it were only strangers who tell me amazing amounts of private things but it is neighbors, employees, etc.

A neighbor that I knew for 10 minutes told me ALL about her divorce, her settlement, her husbands girlfriend and the lack of sex during the 3 years preceding their divorce YUCK!!

I don't tell anyone but my husband this stuff so maybe people know we are trustworthy...who knows
Oh I get that too. My theory is we listen and dont interupt to tell our own tale of woe. A lot of peeps would be launching their own ship two minutes into the conversation. Me. I dont share. Ive learned the hard way. There really are seven layers of Kevin Bacon.

I was just commenting on why I feel some feel the need to unload on total strangers.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Oh I get that too. My theory is we listen and dont interupt to tell our own tale of woe. A lot of peeps would be launching their own ship two minutes into the conversation. Me. I dont share. Ive learned the hard way. There really are seven layers of Kevin Bacon.

I was just commenting on why I feel some feel the need to unload on total strangers.
I was not being adversarial about strangers...sorry if it seemed that way

The Kevin Bacon theory is very true! I am just waiting for my mother in law to mention some of the things I have written here

Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I was not being adversarial about strangers...sorry if it seemed that way

The Kevin Bacon theory is very true! I am just waiting for my mother in law to mention some of the things I have written here
Adversarial? Where did that come from. You been hanging with the wrong crowd for too long. Im very unadversarial not like some peeps who shall remain nameless

Dont laugh. Your MIL could be reading this as we type.
Ive been outed in Rl because of personal stuff I shared on a self help forum. I thought I was anonymous. Evidently not.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Adversarial? Where did that come from. You been hanging with the wrong crowd for too long. Im very unadversarial not like some peeps who shall remain nameless

Dont laugh. Your MIL could be reading this as we type.
Ive been outed in Rl because of personal stuff I shared on a self help forum. I thought I was anonymous. Evidently not.
As of right now my MIL is still computer illiterate...well, that's what she says!

That is terrible! Did a friend or neighbor recognize you from your posts???

Old 10-18-2008, 08:18 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
I have people discuss all of their problems with me, that has always been the case.
My husband says I should "hang out my shingle"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships