Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that people say the darndest things to me sometimes...they are not being rude, just jumping the gun on information sharing in the course of a normal conversation.

Last night, we were at a party, I asked the security guard where the ladies room was, we talked for a second and I asked if he was retired from the police department and he said "No, I smoked too much weed in 1969 and drank too much hard liquor to go into law enforcement"

Too much information too fast... and people are ALWAYS doing this. It really cracks me up. My hubby says I should apply for Barbara Walters jobs because people just talk, talk, talk to me and fast. Strange.

Does this happen to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
No, but usually I'm the one who gives too much information too fast.
But I'm working on this one, since being too talkative can bring one a host
of problems, and beside I don't like strangers to know too much about my life.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Yes....

I dont know why with me...

But with you I think its because you seem so sweet and nice. It comes across in your posts. I bet its BEAMS out when you are in person.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yes....

I dont know why with me...

But with you I think its because you seem so sweet and nice. It comes across in your posts. I bet its BEAMS out when you are in person.
That's very nice to say

Don't get me wrong, it does not bother me, it is interesting to hear other people talk but when I tell my husband this or that about a situation or a person he says "How on EARTH did you hear all that???" and he laughs because he knows I just hear it all... at least I never feel left out

Old 10-18-2008, 12:56 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
People who know me well tell me I can sell know to Eskimos.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
People come out to me a lot. As in "I'm gay" or "I'm bi!". Followed by "I never said that to anyone before"... It's weird.

I'm kind of one of those TMI people though.... and I hereby apologize to all those in the past that have been uncomfortable or shocked by something I blurted. It comes from not giving a crap what others think for the most part... as long as they're not making assumptions about me based on the wrong info at least.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
People come out to me a lot. As in "I'm gay" or "I'm bi!". Followed by "I never said that to anyone before"... It's weird.

I'm kind of one of those TMI people though.... and I hereby apologize to all those in the past that have been uncomfortable or shocked by something I blurted. It comes from not giving a crap what others think for the most part... as long as they're not making assumptions about me based on the wrong info at least.
I have never had someone "come out" to me...you must be very easy to talk to! The stuff I hear is usually about their marriage, kid issues, health is a big one and their lives and choices. I also get the ones complaining about their neighbors and bosses

Old 10-18-2008, 03:24 PM

534 posts, read 1,595,035 times
Yes, this is everyone in the city I live in. New neighbors moved in in February. Not 2 days after I met them both, the woman tells me the whole story about the father of her daughter, how they aren't together, he lives there just because of the daughter..yada yada. I'm like, I've known you for 2 days. They are very nice, but man don't need to know your whole life..

The girl who I just started watching her kid did the same thing. Told me way too much already. Guys that work for my husband do the same thing. They feel the need to tell him everything.

Complete strangers will strike a convo with you in a store and before you know it, you have been told way too much.

It must be in the air here. Hubby and I are closed people. Share what we feel needs to be shared.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
In one word: YES.

I'll be sitting in a coffeehouse, or on the train, or wherever...and people start telling me all kinds of personal things.

I've often wondered if I should have opted for a career in psychology or psychiatry....at least I could have made money off of it.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I can't say I'm a trash can for other people's emotional garbage, but some do... They're usually the same ones I'd open up to. There has to be some connection and similar wavelength. Sometimes I tend to share some personal stuff with people I shouldn't have and then regret it. I used to do this more in the past, though. Not nearly as much anymore. It can be very dangerous in many ways to make yourself vulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships