Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

ha ha are you saying those people are rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
What is the deal with people that give silence and then just hang up the phone after you say "Bye" or "good bye". Isn't it polite to say "bye" back-------

PLEASE EXCUSE THEM THEY WERE PROBABLY BROUGHT UP IN NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Saying "goodbye" when ending a phone conversation is like the period at the end of a sentence. It closes the thought and the action of the moment.

Notice that in the movies or on TV they almost NEVER say goodbye when they hang up the phone. That's for exactly the opposite reason, it holds the moment pregnant with the emotional content and lets the next scene transition without losing its dramatic continuity.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Thanks plus sized Freddy. You're the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Saying "goodbye" when ending a phone conversation is like the period at the end of a sentence. It closes the thought and the action of the moment.

Notice that in the movies or on TV they almost NEVER say goodbye when they hang up the phone. That's for exactly the opposite reason, it holds the moment pregnant with the emotional content and lets the next scene transition without losing its dramatic continuity.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:28 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,054 times
I can handle the nonverbal hang up... my thing is the "who is this!?" contest on wrong numbers. When I pick up the phone and say "hello" the first thing out someone's mouth should not be, "Who IS this?!!" I normally reply "I guess I don't know who I am will you let me know?!!" ( using the same voice tone really gets their goat).

Phone etiquette has gone in a landslide down hill. I work the phone line for 10 hours a day ( extremely hard work ). Well I can honsetly say rude converstationalist are country wide. Most nicest I have found normally come from outside the main states - Hawaii, Alaska, VI etc.

I get people talking while eating, flushing toliets, whispering, TV extremely LOUD, kids/baby screaming, the person I am trying to talk to is holding a confab with someone else which is normally an argument, and the ones who are sick ill coughing gagging pratically throwing up. Yep phone politeness has gone down hill.

Not saying good bye?... some people I just want off the phone! But It is very rude not to politely end the call when the call starts and commenses politely enough throughout.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That's what I thought. It's an anger thing.

[/b]
Sometimes it's anger, but after working a couple jobs where I was on the phone for 8 hours straight, I think some people just never learned proper phone etiquette and when they're finished speaking, they just hang up, no matter if the outcome was good or not. I was not a telemarketer; the people I spoke to wanted to speak to me, so they were either calling me or I was returning their call.

I personally find it rude--just like in face to face conversations, a phone conversation requires a closing.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 AM

159 posts, read 806,304 times
i think some ppl fell like if u say it then they dont have to. plus if ur on a cell phone sometimes u talk over each other. ???

Old 04-22-2009, 07:24 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
I do the complete opposite all the time to my kids, I'll finish the conversation and then say "bye" and then am like, wait, wait! LOL
I am one of those though that typically doesn't like talking on the phone but I always say good bye.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:44 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
If you don't hear me say bye when i hang up.. either A) the call was cut short by bad signal, or B) you pissed me off.
I think that is the point of the thread.. They do that all the time and it's like ????

By your logic, they are just pissed off at you all the time and trying to tell you something .

Old 08-02-2021, 07:14 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
If you don't hear me say bye when i hang up.. either A) the call was cut short by bad signal, or B) you pissed me off.
Last Activity: 07-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I think that is the point of the thread.. They do that all the time and it's like ????

By your logic, they are just pissed off at you all the time and trying to tell you something .
Curious as to how you came to dig up a 13-year-old thread and why you are specifically replying to someone who hasn't been on the forum in 11 years. I'm figuring you probably didn't even think to check whether the member was still around, but still. You had to have seen that the post was from 2010.

Yeah, I know, it says "update the thread with new information" at the end, yada yada yada, but still--WHY? I'm genuinely curious as to how it came about that you sought to pull up a thread that hasn't been posted in for 13 years in the first place. It had to take some effort to do this, and it's not an "evergreen" topic that one would seek to look up to see if a thread was already in progress.

I know that new posters often do this because they were out there googling and a thread popped up and they went and answered it without having the sense to see that it's ancient, but you are a regular member now and had to have looked up this thread deliberately.

I seriously want to know what prompted the action. It's not wrong, I'm just interested as to how this happens.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:34 PM

215 posts, read 127,162 times
I'm glad the thread was bumped as I found it entertaining LOL.

As far as how, I notice that at the bottom of the page other threads are suggested based on potential interest...not by date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships