Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 848 times

Advertisements

I have multiple social issues to say the least but this can easily be atributed to two main events in my life: I was married but my wife cheated on me and the baby I loved that I thought was mine ended up being someone else's so I became reclusive, the next event was a second traumatic brain injury which caused the damage of the first extremely severe head injury to rear its ugly head. Before I go any further, I do have brain damage and a few things that were most effected was my ability to spell, I'm now horrible with punctuation and I struggle with grammar while writing now and again so please don't dismiss my intelligence based off a run on sentence or ten. Now back to my point, the head injury caused amnesia of sorts where most of my memories were permanently erased and since your personality which is in my opinion primarily based upon the memories of your past that influence your personality in the present as well as your current social interaction with your friends and or those you want to be accepted by. Like I stated previously I became a recluse after I found out about the baby and I had lost much of my memory, I still remembered my family and who I was and what my job was and all that jazz, I simply couldn't remember most of my childhood as well as most of the people from my childhood. My memories were patchy at best and still are today, they are distant though and feel like I'm looking at a photograph of someone else living in my body. I obviously know it was me, I'm just explaining from an objective stand point because I have no emotional sentiment when remembering these patchy memories of which there is very few. I was this guy who was a blank slate essentially while I isolated myself, I went to work and didn't socialize and only talked to people if I had to. I wasn't mean or anything like that, I've always been a nice guy, I justed didn't want friends is all. During these years of social (personal isolation, obviously not professional) isolation I begain to learn about everything I could from learning about quantum physics to learning to crotchet and everything in between. I had no one in my life saying "That's not cool dude" or something like that preventing my ever increasingly enquisitive mind from growing and expanding. My mind develop in two differnt ways essentially: the logical side of my brain began to flex its muscles and then it started taking metephorical steroids as did the creative side of my brain. People generally speaking are either right side brain dominant or left side brain dominant because in many ways they are counterintuitive of each other. My only guess as to why this occurred was since your brain can circumvent damaged neurological pathways if they are properly worked out I guess you can say, so as my brain healed by me constantly working out both sides of my brain it allowed me to posses a neurological balance of both sides of my brain. This gave way to new abilities that I never possed before (not telekinesis or anything ridiculous like that) primarily it just gave me the ability to understand things on a macro level as well as an intrinsic understanding as well. I have no interest in sports as far as watching them, I don't care which team win, although I do enjoy playing them. The point is I don't need to brag about how smart I am because I constantly blow people away at feats I have accomplished, no I havn't cured cancer obviously I just mean feats on a micro level. I don't interact well with others and people think I'm weird because I don't have any of the same interests as them as far as pop culture, gossip or anything of that nature. I show love and kindness to every human being that I come into contact with and would literally give the shirt off my back to a complete stranger. One time I saw a kid begging for money and I told him I would buy him food so we went to the restaurant and I found out he was 18 and then I asked him about what it was like to be homeless (I was feeding him out of kindness but I wanted to learn about being homeless so that I could better empathize with his situation and learn from it) so he started talking about it and mentioned differnt types of begging and talked about the people with guitars and said he could play but didn't have one anymore. I was a regular at the place we were eating so I told them I was going home for a minute and I told him that I would give him a guitar so we went to my house and I loaded him up with clothes and jackets and the guitar as well as a new sleeping bag and then he saw that I threw knives so I taught him how to throw a knife briefly and then we went back to the place we were eating at. I only say this because I'm honestly that nice and that friendly to anyone who is in need. I get along amazingly with people 20+ years older than me but my own age group or those younger than me it's difficult to interact and half the stuff I say people just look at me like I'm a freak haha. I still don't care much for having friends, and the ones I do have would die for me (I spent 8 years in the Marines as an infantry machine gunner, so when I say they would die for me I do mean that literally). My brain is still healing and as it does it feels like it's harder and harder to interact normally with people. When I was in the 3rd grade I took a state assessment test and there were subjects I was scoring in nearly the college level and many were in high school, I think my worst score was 5th grade level, I scored high enough on the military entrance exam to do any job in the entire military, not just the Marines but there is a night and day difference between my intelligence then and my intelligence now. I honestly wish that I wanted to have friends sometimes, I wish sometimes that I wanted to be normal and I wish that I got lonely but honestly I'm not, I am every now and again but I prefer to be home reading, or building, something, or painting or whatever it is as long as it involves learning so that I can expand my mind further. I do wish all the time though that I was better at interacting because like I said I'm horrible and I don't blend in at all. I'm sorry if you think at any point I was bragging because I wasn't, that's my logical side of my brain presenting facts of my personality and its not something I go around telling people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 02:42 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
^^^^ What the ****

Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
He doesnt seem so smart after all if he cant figure out how to interact, especially if us mere above average people can figure out how to interact with so-called idiots.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
^^^^ What the ****
multiple social issues in a very visual format lol.

Last edited by brocco; 01-24-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
I think it would be up to the genius to try to reach the rest of us anyway they could.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Shane. One word: therapy.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I think it would be up to the genius to try to reach the rest of us anyway they could.
i agree with you. i've always felt that if i were better than most people in some way, i shouldn't use that to tear other people down. i should use it to try to bring them to my level. sometimes it can be hard on one's ego though.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
It is, and that's what makes things so difficult. It's akin to a teacher that's accustomed to working with 6 year olds. You have to put things in a way they understand, which is exhausting when you find yourself having to do it on a regular basis.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
It is, and that's what makes things so difficult. It's akin to a teacher that's accustomed to working with 6 year olds. You have to put things in a way they understand, which is exhausting when you find yourself having to do it on a regular basis.
i think this is why so many brilliant and successful leaders try to keep to themselves for the most part. they have to very carefully pick and choose who they have the energy to show their world to.

you wont find such types spilling all their "stuff" all over facebook for instance.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:58 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I have to assume that most of you have average or slightly above intellectual skills. How would you feel if you were thrown in a world where everyone you came in contact with was a certified idiot? They had a official IQ of about 60.

That is how one man I know who is a certified genius. He has a very- very- very- high IQ. He reminds me of Mr Spock and is very logical, unemotional and analytical. He does not interact well with the average person for the same reason you and I do not interact very successfully with an idiot.

They say most true geniuses have a constant struggle in an insane world where 99% of people interact, think and see things completely differently because of their intelligence.

Could a true genius learn how to interact effectively and even become friends with us idiots?
It's not a matter of "genuises vs. idiots". A "genius" is highly intelligent in a particular way - typically logically and analytically, as you mentioned. So, such a left-brained, unemotional person would most likely have trouble relating to someone who processes their world through a more empathic lens. That doesn't mean the "feeling" person is an idiot - it means their brain functions differently than that of a genius.

I have known a few people in my time who have very high IQs, and they were severely socially stunted. All they seemed to be able to care about was their point of view and their knowledge. It didn't come across as maliciously snobbish, they were simply one-track minded and weren't able to step outside of themselves into another person's shoes. In other words, no empathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships