Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

I have really enjoyed this thread. It is so funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
The reason MENSA and similar organizations exist is so high-IQ people can find other high-IQ people to interact with without having to meet 50 people to find one 98th %-ile one.

Sounds like your genius friend may have some Aspberger's stuff going on - it's pretty common although the relationship between high IQ and Aspbergers is not at all clear.

Just socializing with average to low average intellects is OK, although I would prefer to interact with higher IQ people. Working with average to low average people can be irritating to me though. Fortunately in the nuclear industry you don't find many average to below intellects.

Like Thoroughbreds, high-IQ people tend to be quirky. Not all are, but most.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times
I've seen some extremely smart people have trouble with "regular" people.....and I've also seen some extremely smart folks blend right in. I actually haven't seen too many of the the socially inept "high IQ" types and I work with a LOT of freaky smart people. I don't know that IQ is the kicker or not. It could be just that some of these folks have no social training, or don't want want to make the effort.

My wife is one of those extremely smart people but just talking with her you'd never know it. She doesn't let on at all about some of her incredible skills and academic achievements. She just fits right in with "the rest of us"

Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
shouldn't a true genius posess the ability to maintain an interactive relationship with all kinds of people? I mean, if they are a true genius would they not have this knowledge and ability??? just wondering unless, of course, they are a legend in their own mind...lol

Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Heatwave, you could be talking about my late wife. I've known a number of high powered people in various walks of life, but so far she was the smartest person I've ever known. I'm pretty average, and some people have made me feel a little inferior. Not so with her, however. She joked about her high IQ like I might joke about my bald head. "I have a steel-crap mind. Crap goes in and I can't get rid of it."

She was a writer and was a genius with words, but her real talent was understanding people and how they felt. The warmth of her poetry reflected that, but so did her relationships. When she died I had customers tell me she was like a sister to them. She was just that way with people -- smart people, average people, illiterate people. She cared about them all, and it showed. After visiting with someone for 15 minutes they'd feel like they were her best friend. My own mother, after chatting on the front porch with her for a half hour, said she finally had the mother-daughter relationship that she could never attain with my own sister.

So yes, geniuses can get along very well with all kinds of people. The thing is, most geniuses have superior intellect in certain areas and are weak in other areas. My late wife was a genius with her connections with people and in relating to them. Give her a checkbook to balance and she'd blow it. It was probably those shortcomings that kept her humble. I don't think she ever felt superior to anyone, and she spent a couple years working with the mentally handicapped.

Her IQ was 170.
She scored a perfect score on her SATs.
She was an all-state flutist in New Jersey.
She was a nationally published poet at age 15.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
As chances are good this type of people wouldn't be fun for me to be around, whether THEY want to be around me or not is kind of a moot point...

I believe men of this type can respond quite well to beauty, emotions, and physical incentives, though, because they're usually lacking them.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I'd say that I was above average in intelligence. I don't consider myself a genius, but I really enjoy using my brain for thinking and learning. I love hunting and collecting antiques. And if I like something, I find it easy to memorize all the important aspects of the best pieces, like the best silversmiths. But if I don't like a particular type of antique, like pattern glass, I can't retain the important details about it.

With people, I can converse with people of all levels, but the stupider the person, the less time I can tolerate their company. And I can't stand certain topics of conversation. The other night, some of the young women at work were dishing about their ex-boyfriends, and I just had to leave the room.

I find that as long as I have a few intelligent friends to converse and keep company with, I have a higher tolerance for being with those that are non-thinkers. I just can't bear to discuss mundane matters all day long. What a waste of precious life minutes and hours.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
A little Jack Daniels and some doughnuts should cure "the genius's" problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
A little levity wouldn't kill ya!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i was just going to post something about my intense dislike for groups of people and conversation when i spotted this post

I fit the description of the analytical, logical and unemotional person mentioned above, tho i don't consider myself a genius nor do i want to be considered one, yet i find myself avoiding groups of people conversing because i find many people boring, pathetic, sadistic and just plain nauseating and sekf serving. not EVERYONE, but it's just getting worse every day. i don't think i have had a conversation where i felt taken or had in over a decade. and i often get raised eyebrows when i choose not to attend company parties or take lunchbreaks with others.

I feel the same way as this mental deficiency has infected a large percentage of the American population but whats worse is that the people themselves don't even recognize there own ignorance. I'm sorry but it's not cool be a 30 year old plus individual still talking and acting like you did 10 plus years ago which is the common theme of today.

I don't mean you should be a tight $SS all the time but I don't see a level of progression of gradual sophistication and mannerisms in the general public.

Anyhow, so your mind does not atrophy rlrl you might want to consider the plethora of rare, scholarly lectures that are available on youtube. I have watched online lectures that were so interesting I could not go to sleep.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:45 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Plaean dub?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships