Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 05:59 PM

6,865 posts, read 4,860,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

This thread is from 2009. /sigh
I wondered when someone would notice.

I wish they would just delete threads once they turned about a year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 06:02 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,432 times
Are you all ignorant of the fact that when you click on an old thread it ASKS you to add to it (and that is highlighted). It's not a crime to resurrect an old thread. "They" want you to do that for clicks.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:23 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Yes, but when posters refer to the OP and the OP’s post is 11 years old, the comments aren’t relevant to that situation anymore.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:48 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
As a 60 year old, I would have nothing in common with someone 30 years old.

My neice and nephew are 30 and I can't relate to a single experience they have. It is a chasm. We don't like the same music, movies, books, TV shows, etc. Our politics are different. Our upbringing was totally different - latch key kids vs raised by in home mom. They were raised during participation trophies. I was raised on playing outside, they were raised on video games.

It is just night and day.

I could be civil with a 30 year old. I could coexist with a 30 year old in my orbit. But friends? There is just far too little common ground on which to base a friendship. You have to share some common elements in order to be friends. Having massively different life expeirences is too difficult to overcome to form true friendships.

There is no way, or at least a very low likelihood, that I could be friends with your average 30 year old today. We just have nothing in common.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:39 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Are you all ignorant of the fact that when you click on an old thread it ASKS you to add to it (and that is highlighted). It's not a crime to resurrect an old thread. "They" want you to do that for clicks.
That's at the bottom of the thread, and only seen by the first person who responds to the old thread.
If you respond from the 'post reply' at the top of the thread, if you quote a post, or if you come into the thread after someone else resurrects it chances are pretty good you won't immediately realize it's a zombie thread. Definitely a "D'oh!" moment when you do.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:43 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Yeah I just wish that maybe there could be a popup the first time that one goes to submit a reply to a thread that is more than a year old, that says:

"This thread was started in 2009, are you sure you want to continue?"

Just a head's up before we post replies that refer back to an OP if it's not relevant. But I don't know how much programming hassle that would be to set up, or if it's even possible. Oh, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
As a 60 year old, I would have nothing in common with someone 30 years old.

My neice and nephew are 30 and I can't relate to a single experience they have. It is a chasm. We don't like the same music, movies, books, TV shows, etc. Our politics are different. Our upbringing was totally different - latch key kids vs raised by in home mom. They were raised during participation trophies. I was raised on playing outside, they were raised on video games.

It is just night and day.

I could be civil with a 30 year old. I could coexist with a 30 year old in my orbit. But friends? There is just far too little common ground on which to base a friendship. You have to share some common elements in order to be friends. Having massively different life expeirences is too difficult to overcome to form true friendships.

There is no way, or at least a very low likelihood, that I could be friends with your average 30 year old today. We just have nothing in common.
And I get that, but I think there could be some variance depending on how much willingness a person has to interact with others who are UNLIKE themselves. Some people are more comfortable when they are just in company of those who seem to be very like them...and some prefer to expand their horizons by connecting with others who are unlike them, or finding the humanity and common ground even in those who seem unlike them in many ways.

It's like...some people never leave the town in which they were born, and some people go traveling all over the world. Why do different people choose these kinds of different paths? Well...we just aren't all the same.

I have always, even as a little kid, loved older people far more than my own peers. But as an adult I'm aware that this is very likely because my main caregiver until she died when I was 5, was my great grandmother. In her house, we didn't watch TV, I had no siblings or other kids to interact with, it was me and her. I learned to be quiet and careful, we cooked together and did word puzzles, she taught me to read (at a very advanced level for my age) and we worked in her garden. She had sunflowers. To this day, I love sunflowers.

So when she passed and I was put into daycare situations, I was scared and horrified of other kids. They were loud, sticky, mean and savage. They could not be talked to or reasoned with. I didn't even know how to be around them.

I always sought out adults to spend my time with, whenever I could. I was just more comfortable with them. And old people are the best....they have the best stories. It always made me sad when older people assumed that younger ones had no interest or desire to listen to them. I feel that humanity used to do a lot more in terms of elders sharing wisdom with the young, and the young giving it the proper reverence and respect. Though surely I've met a few stubborn older people who were as flawed as anyone, but...we are all human.

Anyways. I think that this whole thing is why I'm so happy with a husband who is 20 years my senior. Though we do have a lot in common, actually. He did not freeze in his youth on the kind of entertainment he enjoyed growing up, he likes a lot of modern music, TV, movies, etc. He's actually introduced me to a lot of things new and old that I never would have found without him. But I also feel that 42/62 isn't really such a gap that we are in two totally different worlds, and it also makes a big difference (to his perspective) that he never had kids. I think that raising children heightens a lot of people's awareness of generational gaps.

Old 12-23-2021, 01:10 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's at the bottom of the thread, and only seen by the first person who responds to the old thread.
If you respond from the 'post reply' at the top of the thread, if you quote a post, or if you come into the thread after someone else resurrects it chances are pretty good you won't immediately realize it's a zombie thread. Definitely a "D'oh!" moment when you do.
Not really, cuz you're commenting on the issue - and NOW it becomes a real time topic.

The suggestion to comment on old threads is deliberate - to get the subject going again, if the topic is still apt.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton1989 View Post
What do you mean born too late?

IMO after 1950 or so was too late. In my case...close but no cigar. You needed to be an established adult well out of school by 1970, is one way of putting it. At least that would work for me. Society began changing too much, too stupid, and too fast around that time.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:03 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Seems to me that a lot of people in their 20's are still pretty immature and irresponsible, and all they want to do is "go out and have fun". I can't say I was ever that way...I've always been pretty reserved. Definitely willing to sit at home and relax, and not have to be around a bunch of other people. You know, that's the problem with introverts--it's so hard to meet, because we're all busy NOT meeting other people.
You sound like me. I'd say let's hang out but we're a bit of a distance away.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:46 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
At first I thought his intentions were legit. i don't have any but I'd certainly welcome a friendship with a woman half my age. But after you moved and he realized any contact would be mostly emails his silence tells me he had another motive unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships