Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 11:56 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
As a 60 year old, I would have nothing in common with someone 30 years old.

My neice and nephew are 30 and I can't relate to a single experience they have. It is a chasm. We don't like the same music, movies, books, TV shows, etc. Our politics are different. Our upbringing was totally different - latch key kids vs raised by in home mom. They were raised during participation trophies. I was raised on playing outside, they were raised on video games.

It is just night and day.

I could be civil with a 30 year old. I could coexist with a 30 year old in my orbit. But friends? There is just far too little common ground on which to base a friendship. You have to share some common elements in order to be friends. Having massively different life expeirences is too difficult to overcome to form true friendships.

There is no way, or at least a very low likelihood, that I could be friends with your average 30 year old today. We just have nothing in common.
I do totally agree with you. But I saw it play out in real life here with our condo builder/close friend. He was 64 and married a 30 y/o Filipina woman. They were very happy until he died of a sudden heart attack.

Without getting too detailed, I think it worked because she was not American. Different growing up, different expectations. She was like a blank slate, unformed, open to everything without much experience of her own.

At 45, I dated a 30 y/o guy and we got along really well. He admitted to being "an old soul" and liked all the same era stuff I did (my era, lol). At that juncture, we looked the same age-wise. But now, I'd dread to think how the gap would show. (66 vs. 51, for example) Then again, "things" were much different 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 04:28 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
I would like to have younger real life friends. All sorts of things one could talk about whether it be nature, environment, politics (like minded of course), current events, food, etc. Some younger people are interested in various topics like I mentioned but everyone is different and obviously potential younger friends will not appeal to many older people.

I take part in 3 live progressive news chats where one has to be a member of the network. Many people in the group are younger and we get alone fine because we have the same views. Even our off topic banter is very engaging and enriching to me. It definitely fills a void and I can imagine it could possibly happen in real life too. I'm interested and definitely not "afraid."

Old 12-25-2021, 03:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton1989 View Post
What do you mean born too late?

At some point the "good old days" are over. Nothing lasts forever. Times change, people change, seemingly more rapid than in the past centuries. Specifically, the next 30 maybe 50 years hold some pretty bad times for the Western World. It will require a whole new mindset, one I cannot accept. The US turning into South Africa is nigh. I see it coming.

Actually it has been coming on for 50 or 60 years. I think if you were born much after 1950 (I'm talking white middle class people here with a life expectancy around 75) you missed the boat. For starters, indoctrination (counterintuitive stuff no less) in schools began even before 1970. There was a massive (if not downright mysterious) shift in public school teachers in my city around 1964 in fact. I saw it happen but as a junior high school kid I wasn't clear on what was happening. But 60 years later it is now very clear to me. I am not really anti anybody, but I am against egalitarianism.

People who started school after around 1960 are from another planet.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 12-25-2021 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-26-2021, 02:42 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royjames83 View Post
I was in "When teenage meets old age" programme and it is quite possible to be friends, I still lunch with the girls I made friends with , roy
Here is the problem. We had a 1 time poster bumping a 13 year old thread. Other posters, such as myself, didn't notice and they ran with the topic.

Damned rookies........

Old 12-26-2021, 07:52 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
As a 60 year old, I would have nothing in common with someone 30 years old.

My neice and nephew are 30 and I can't relate to a single experience they have. It is a chasm. We don't like the same music, movies, books, TV shows, etc. Our politics are different. Our upbringing was totally different - latch key kids vs raised by in home mom. They were raised during participation trophies. I was raised on playing outside, they were raised on video games.

It is just night and day.

I could be civil with a 30 year old. I could coexist with a 30 year old in my orbit. But friends? There is just far too little common ground on which to base a friendship. You have to share some common elements in order to be friends. Having massively different life expeirences is too difficult to overcome to form true friendships.

There is no way, or at least a very low likelihood, that I could be friends with your average 30 year old today. We just have nothing in common.
Yes it’s the common element that works for me, being art , and sometimes it evolves into enjoying other activities BUT we wouldn’t be hanging out the same way they would with their peers.

Old 12-26-2021, 12:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Here is the problem. We had a 1 time poster bumping a 13 year old thread. Other posters, such as myself, didn't notice and they ran with the topic.

Damned rookies........
You still aren't noticing something.

That one time poster you refer to and quoted actually happened in 2011 when the thread was only 2 years old and only one other person responded at that time.

Then this 2nd time another 10 years later, the person who bumped it up has been a member for several years and has over 3,000 posts to their name.

The fact is there is nothing wrong with anyone (rookie or not) bumping up a thread if they have something to say that is relevant to the topic and the other posts that have been made in the thread.

The sole responsibility for looking for and paying attention to the start date of any thread and for deciding to respond or not to bump ups lies strictly with each person that opens the thread. Nobody is obligated to respond and nobody should be complaining because somebody else bumped up a thread when it is the responsibility of the complainers to pay better attention.

The complainers only have themselves to blame for not paying proper attention.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships