Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:03 PM

138 posts, read 360,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
If I don't bother to keep in touch with people from years ago, then I don't care to have them stalk me down on facebook.

If I have kept in contact, I already have their phone number and call/text them to actually see them in person.

Facebook would just be a source of annoyance and a waste of time. I also don't want my friends who don't know each other mixing. There is one friend at least that has wanted me to join who is pretty immature and would post some innapropriate pictures. I prefer to not have to explain why he cant be my facebook friend, if he found my facebook page.
Sorry I dont really get why u dont want your mutual friends to mingle.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 04:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man of mucus View Post
I get it myself... Sometimes people have friends from various walks in life who wouldn't necessarily mesh with each other.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:11 PM

28,971 posts, read 30,339,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I scoffed and scorned facebook, too...but now I think it's a nice way to just keep up with people and their day-to-day lives. It's like getting postcards from everyone you care about on a routine basis...ease of communication.

I think it has potential to be abused or people could really waste too much time on it (like we do on CDF), but any tool is like that.
exactly, yet there are always those who go overboard and become addicted...I use it for the same reason, it works for me, however, I'm not on it day and night and know a lot of people who are not...but, if it's not your cup of tea, you shouldn't be scorned because of your feelings about it...people really are becoming less intelligent..we haven't progressed we've regressed, and I'm telling you...it's frustrating that society is incapable of seeing past they're own noses....

Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,290,039 times
I don't care about other peoples lives that much. If they were important to me, I would already know stuff. If I'm not friends with someone IRL it's probably because I don't like them or think they are idiots. I have a FB because my kids wanted me to get on to see their photo albums so they wouldn't have to email them to me seperately. Several people from my past "friended" me and must be bored silly because I never post anything. But then, most of them don't either. Once we get in touch on FB we keep up contact offline, at least with a couple people. The others I'm not interested in.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,754,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man of mucus View Post
Because sometimes it doesn't work. I have some serious friends that have their lives together a lot more than a couple of them. When the two have mixed in the past it's like oil and water. They are each annoyed and that makes me have a bad time. I can somewhat mirror their behavior when we are one on one. Like some friends I keep it real light and joke around, don't talk about anything that requires thinking. Others I can talk about business, the economy or something else that's not small talk.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:02 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,319,793 times
Hate FB. Hate people who won't talk to you unless via FB.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,845,922 times
I was on FB for a couple years. I didn't get much out of it, except (as I mentioned in another thread) that it made me glad I'd never gotten on Classmates. Those of you who are not on FB you're probably not missing much so don't feel bad. Hold your ground because once you join it can be hard to get off, even when you know it's bad for your life or adding nothing to it. I went through the addiction phase and the finding-people phase and the game-playing phase, followed by the months-without-posting phase, at which time cancelling mine finally worked.

OP, some girls probably ask for your Facebook profile so they can get information about you. Sadly they don't realize they're probably not getting anything real when they do it. If you don't want to join, don't join.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 AM

92 posts, read 116,657 times
I'm 31 years old, and last summer I ran into an old HS buddy while visiting home. After 10 minutes of small talk, I had nothing else to say to him.

I never made a facebook because I was lazy, and never really sawwhat it did for me. Years ago, I tried mysapce (at the request of a girlfriend) and was bored with it before I was finished filling it out.

Now, I feel like I missed the boat with facebook.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:20 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,326,733 times
I wasn't really a "group person" in high school or part of any cliques...I had a few close friends and this was enough for me...So there's not a long line of former classmates who are "dying" to get in touch with me today...My closest friends keep in touch with me through phone calls today...We visit in person when we can...I write to some friends through emails or postal letters or cards once in awhile...This is enough for me...Once in a great while I might send someone a photo through an email or a postal letter etc...Don't feel motivated to send out photos very often....I've had some friends who've sent me photos non-stop...I enjoy their photos but after awhile I start to wonder why they need to send me and everyone they know photos all the time.....It does seem like narcissism. I feel the same way about people who constantly send out "mass emails" featuring their favorite "joke of the day" or medical alerts or their daily "words of wisdom" etc...It's all a "one way street." It's all "about them." I just serve as their audience.....Anyway some people do well and thrive on Facebook and others don't...Maybe "group people" do the best and people who are used to being part of cliques. What do you think? Thanks....Interesting discussion.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:40 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,063,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I was on FB for a couple years. I didn't get much out of it, except (as I mentioned in another thread) that it made me glad I'd never gotten on Classmates. Those of you who are not on FB you're probably not missing much so don't feel bad. Hold your ground because once you join it can be hard to get off, even when you know it's bad for your life or adding nothing to it. I went through the addiction phase and the finding-people phase and the game-playing phase, followed by the months-without-posting phase, at which time cancelling mine finally worked.

OP, some girls probably ask for your Facebook profile so they can get information about you. Sadly they don't realize they're probably not getting anything real when they do it. If you don't want to join, don't join.

That's what I think.

It is kind of like a screening tool for them. If a guy has 100 photos of him alone with his dogs or cats, or there are no photos of him with another person, then the woman may be skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships