Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 PM

585 posts, read 614,177 times

Advertisements

All of these ideas are nice and yes I would appreciate any of them. But we aren't big spenders and all of the gifts I have received touched my heart.

1. Every since their birth, I get a homemade card with their handprint and their own words. I have saved every one. I am really big on homemade items. They come from the heart and the child puts a lot of thought into it. Can be messy with little ones though so make sure you supervise.

2. As they have grown I have received age appropriate gift certificates: Age 12-sweep & mop kitchen. Make and serve sandwiches for lunch for the entire family. Watch younger siblings while Mom takes a long bath. And several others.

3. My husband will line up a sitter (usually his sister) while we go out to eat a meal. This we normally do the week after because our children want Mom around all day Mother's Day.

4. We hit a drive thru for a simple dinner of hamburgers or chicken. Something that won't leave a mess at home.

5. We visit with Grandmothers for approx. 2 hours each and return home to a quiet evening of holding the children while we watch a little family TV.

It's not fancy, but what I loved the most was that we all spent it together and I received gifts from the heart.

We all go different ways now and barely even see each other at the family table. Children grow so quickly and before you know it, they're gone. Give something that mom can look at and remember just how small they were.

Take a picture that she doesn't remember of all of you and have it blown up. Then get a cheap picture frame and have the children decorate it with glitter or macaroni or whatever you have around the house even cloth. I got that one year and cried like a baby, because both of my children are in their teens now and the picture was from when they were toddlers.

Our daughter is 19 now and living on her own. She asked me today if she could still give me homemade gift certificates. I told her I would be honored. You see, all we really want is quality time together. Well, at least that is what I want.

Let us know what you finally decided. I am really interested. You have already proven that you are thoughtful just by being concerned as to what to do! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
I've been jotting down a few suggestions.

It's always been hard to buy for my mother, it seems she has everything she wants or needs. Gift cards work for this occasion. I've been debating back and forth on whether or not to fly back to Iowa for a couple days to celebrate Mother's Day, she said this would be the best present of all. But fares aren't cheap (about $340 roundtrip) and I suppose I better make up my mind NOW.

Spa gift card sounds like a winner, she loves those.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Default I would get them more kids........

Try this one.

Go get some of the neighbor kids. Get them all washed up and pretty.

Bring them over to your house and tell the wife that she is such a super mom that you would like her to have four more. Allow her to show the stuff and make extra chow for four more kids. She will love this thought and thank you for making her the Special Mother those kids never could have. They never get enough of this stuff.

For Daddy's day, try asking for a case of beer. Get the car washed free too. Some roses could be nice too.

The PS: Take pix's while she is busy in the kitchen, she will never want to forget this.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
The coupon books are good IF you can get the kids to actually do the work when you want to redeem them. As my kids have gotten older, I like to have them clean a closet or something. Of course, a good book is great too as I am an inveterate reader. We have a tradition of going to a garden center on Mother's Day and getting our bedding plants for the summer, and a little something extra for me.

I know Father's Day isn't here yet, but I'd like to share an anecdote about it as well. One year my DH, a physicist by education, asked for a popular physics book. My DD and I went into a book store that had a large display of Father's Day books on golf, barbecue, etc. As we trudged upstairs to the physics dept. DD said "there are the books for the NORMAL dads!" We got him the physics book (not a textbook).

Old 05-09-2007, 10:00 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
What do mom's REALLY want?
TIME.

Time to do "whatever".

I'm an empty nester now...and I have "too much" time.

But as a young mother I just wanted/needed time to spend with my daughter, uninterrupted . Then, time to myself. For a walk, a bike ride, a book, a shopping trip.

If you can plan a day where "mother" will have both time with her offspring, and some time to herself you will have achieved a grand thing.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
After spending an hour yesterday in the store finding nothing my mom would want that she didn't already have (that I could afford), I decided to simply take her out to dinner the next time she comes up to visit me instead of her taking me out to dinner. There seems to come a time where you just don't know what to buy for someone anymore.....

Old 05-12-2007, 11:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
As requested I am sharing what I finally decided to do for my wife this weekend. Well Mother's day came a day early here...it started this morning and she is off shopping and having time for her. The kids and I are power cleaning the house too.

I purchased a gift she specifically asked for...a travel-size sound machine. I'll be getting dinner prep together today so tomorrow will be less stressful. She can sleep in and meet us at second service tomorrow. We'll do a nice brunch after church and then a fun dinner later on.

I've also decided to iron her clothes for this week so as to help her out...she has a job interview on Tuesday for an internal posting.

The kids are making cards and doing the handprint idea another poster suggested.

Thanks again for all your wonderful ideas...and I hope they helped others out too!!

Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Hoosier, good for you!!
Sounds perfect!!
MBG

Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
I love daisies. A big bunch of those cute little flowers will have me beaming all day.

Anything handmade by my wonderfully artistic eight year old. I treasure those gifts because I know so much love and attention went into them. They have me beaming for a lifetime.

Mr. Hoo, you're awesome

Old 05-12-2007, 12:32 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,961 times
Every day should be Mother's Day. Why should someone do something special one day out of the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships