Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times

Advertisements

OP, if you dislike small talk, how do you expect to meet people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I have Skated and had big fun for Hours, with a person, and we never had to say a word. we got each other. and needed no filler.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
With an attitude like that I personally think I would RUN away. Maybe it is not the people. I am getting a bad vibe.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
but sometime you have to get to know the person. small talk also is about filling in the time, and appearing friendly, rather than making friends/associations with others.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I don't mind small talk, I'm just tired of repeating the process over and over with no positive results.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM

68 posts, read 129,746 times
To the OP, may I respectfully ask what part of the country you are originally from? I too, moved across country to Colorado after landing a job here after getting out of the military back in 2005. I, like you, have found it almost impossible to make any kind of friends here or have any sort of relationships with the opposite sex. I'm not saying that Coloradoans are mean per se, but I am saying that they are EXTREMELY reserved and do not seem to want to make friends with new folks. This charachter trait is especially true at Pikes Peak Community College. All of the women (and men too) are always texting their (presumably) boyfriends, husbands, etc and do not wish to interact with anyone that they do not already know. This makes it especially difficult to establish connections IMHO.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM

304 posts, read 888,847 times
I've always been drawn to people who are 'together' and have good attitudes. Usually, that person is moving comfortably in their own 'world' and mine happens to intersect.

That's when the work comes. You have to make the phone calls and meet to get to know each other.

I have made two new friends (good friends: talk often, see each other often, know the secrets!) in the last 13 years. I have found five other women who could have been friends. But the relationship never developed, one was too busy, timing was off, etc. That's just the way it is.

So yes, you have to meet the person in a chance/contrived way, but then you have to call and invite them to do something. And then invite them again. You may have several outings and things will flounder.

When a friendship should happen it will.

In the meantime, keep up your good work, keep doing things that interest you, and keep your eyes open!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
I'm a big fan of letting things happen and develop in their own time.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric81 View Post
To the OP, may I respectfully ask what part of the country you are originally from? I too, moved across country to Colorado after landing a job here after getting out of the military back in 2005. I, like you, have found it almost impossible to make any kind of friends here or have any sort of relationships with the opposite sex. I'm not saying that Coloradoans are mean per se, but I am saying that they are EXTREMELY reserved and do not seem to want to make friends with new folks. This charachter trait is especially true at Pikes Peak Community College. All of the women (and men too) are always texting their (presumably) boyfriends, husbands, etc and do not wish to interact with anyone that they do not already know. This makes it especially difficult to establish connections IMHO.
I moved from Michigan, Metro Detroit to be exact. I'll have to go back and examine the situation there, but I don't recall it ever being this difficult to make friends. It's as if people have made filled their lives with more stuff than they can handle and so they have no time or inclination to make new friends. What kind of life is that?

Small talk is fine, but it means nothing if it doesn't evolve into something bigger and better. Most of the time you go back to these groups and people STILL don't remember who you are. So, it's like starting all over again. That's the frustrating part. I don't like living my life as if it's on repeat.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I don't mind small talk, I'm just tired of repeating the process over and over with no positive results.
If you don't mind me sayin---maybe find what you have to offer, of substance, and start there. cut to the chase. Small talk is for kids and bar flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships