Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

If you grew up with a family in the neighborhood and all the families kind of grew up together - this was in the late 60's and 70's - kids grow up, move away, some stay, etc.

One of the kids you grew up with and actually babysat just died due to a tragic accident.

Just found out about the funeral. It is a Catholic mass. (You are not Catholic).

I just found out I may have to go alone; all other family members have conflicts with the time. I feel I should. One family member is telling me just to go to the "celebration of life" held at one of the relative's homes.
(That's an "after work" time).

What to do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
I would go.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
I second the motion...I would also go.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
I have shown myself up in the churches of many denominations, yet I'm totally catholic and will always be.

What's the big deal about going to another type of church?

Frankly, non-catholic churches tend to be more fun.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I wouldn't consider myself to have grown up with someone who was young enough for me to have babysat. Not if there is that much of an age difference.

And I wouldn't go to a funeral of someone I haven't spoken to or otherwise communicated with in thirty or forty years. I think funerals and 'celebrations of life' should be reserved for those who truly were part of that person's life.

I don't think one's religion has anything to do with it.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
If you grew up with a family in the neighborhood and all the families kind of grew up together - this was in the late 60's and 70's - kids grow up, move away, some stay, etc.

One of the kids you grew up with and actually babysat just died due to a tragic accident.

Just found out about the funeral. It is a Catholic mass. (You are not Catholic).

I just found out I may have to go alone; all other family members have conflicts with the time. I feel I should. One family member is telling me just to go to the "celebration of life" held at one of the relative's homes.

What to do??
How very sad!

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

What to do??
I attend a lot of funerals! I know a lot of people who end up dying of my disease. At least 2-3 die on average a month. I know ALL these people personally. I could end up spending time at funerals weekly! I have to draw the line somewhere. I guess it's only some neighborhood obligation feelings you seem to have, since you wouldn't ask if you wholeheartdly wanted to go, you'd just go. Will their family expect you, as a close personal friend, is what you have to weigh. Or did you just kind of know the kid. An out is to just send flowers if you want.

You know, my mom wanted to NOT have her former husbands attend her funeral. And I talked her out of it! And they both acted like asses! My bad. I could have missed seeing my drunk father cracking jokes!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Personally, I would probably go, but there have been times where I have sent flowers and simply paid my respects to the family at the funeral home and did not attend the funeral.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:21 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Why you are considering not going... because you have to go alone? Or because you're not Catholic? Or both? I can kind of understand not wanting to go alone - you'll have no emotional support. But I'll bet you'll regret it if you don't go - plus, the immediate family members of the deceased will probably be very touched you're there.

I don't see why the religious aspect should prevent you from going though. It's not like you won't be welcome - most likely, no one will even know you're not Catholic unless you say so. Unless you have a personal issue with Catholicism and either wouldn't be able to be respectful or would wind up inwardly upset by the proceedings, there's no reason not to go. Just because you don't agree with their beliefs doesn't mean you can't say your goodbyes and pay your respects.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,017 times
Im a muslim yet if a brother of another faith dies.. i'd feel sad for him/her and their respective families for their loss .. going to the church or temple doesnt matter much as long as u know u're doing the right thing in the name of humanity .. so yes i will go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships