Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,506 times

Advertisements

I am a 25yr old single mother and I am looking for a good area to move in North Carolina. I am trying to stay away from Charlotte, Fayetteville and cities near the coast. What is a good area to move in? I was looking at Lumberton ( sorry didn't spell it right) but I read that it was in the middle of nowhere?. Need help, looking to move in October/ November. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Where will your job be?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 PM

187 posts, read 460,478 times
Lumberton is in the middle of nowhere,And also theres not really any jobs there at all...Its a poor rural area of NC and also pretty high in crimes as well...Thats where Michael Jordan's dad was found killed at....I'd look into maybe the Mooresville/Huntersville area...Depending on what your budget is and what you're looking for exactly...Both areas are good and close enough to Charlotte without being actually in Charlotte

Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,907 times
Do you have a job or are you independently wealthy?

What are your goals in moving from Cincinnati? Why the short timeline (you plan to move in a few months but have just started searching.)

You haven't really given us any information so that we can be helpful.

I will say, unemployment in NC is high, and you should have a job before you move.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Just about everywhere is a "good area" for someone.
Nowhere is a good area for everyone.

More information needed.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,506 times
I apologize for not providing all the information. My brother will be coming to North Carolina in May, he is in the military and is currently stationed in Germany, so when he come back he will be at Fort Braggs. I have heard from several different ppl that Fayetteville is getting bad as far as the crime. I have two jobs now, one as a youth worker in a social service setting and the other at a daycare. I am not planning on moving until February. So i have time to save a research and try to find a job, I can transfer locations with my daycare job, they have locations in Cary. That is where i was orginially looking. I am not looking for a "good area" just a livable area. Right now i live in a bad neighborhood but the street i live on is actually quiet nothing happens. So I dont want to be that far from Fayetteville, but I am open to moving there if I can find a right place. Thanks for responding

Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Thank you for clarifying. You have no idea how many "I am moving to NC but know nothing at all about it--tell me where I should live" threads we get here

Look at places in Harnett county like Angier, etc, which are partway between Cary and Fayetteville. Or Southern Wake County, like Fuquay-Varina (pronounced FEW-quay va REE-na) along 401. It's a very high-growth area, very suburban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincychick2010 View Post
I apologize for not providing all the information. My brother will be coming to North Carolina in May, he is in the military and is currently stationed in Germany, so when he come back he will be at Fort Braggs. I have heard from several different ppl that Fayetteville is getting bad as far as the crime. I have two jobs now, one as a youth worker in a social service setting and the other at a daycare. I am not planning on moving until February. So i have time to save a research and try to find a job, I can transfer locations with my daycare job, they have locations in Cary. That is where i was orginially looking. I am not looking for a "good area" just a livable area. Right now i live in a bad neighborhood but the street i live on is actually quiet nothing happens. So I dont want to be that far from Fayetteville, but I am open to moving there if I can find a right place. Thanks for responding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina