Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:40 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosap View Post
this reply is for migee:
your problem is not that you are a racist, it is that you are culturally incompetent. My family is from the Dominican Republic, a small island in the Caribbean. I came here when I was 6 years old , on a plane ,not a boat. I have attended the best schools in this country and in one generation pulled my family out of poverty. Respect for our differences is important. We are not animals, we come from strong families that care about one another.
Yes, I agree , we have a problem with the "illegal" immigrants in this country, and they are not all Mexicans and not all Hispanics are Mexican, we are also different eventhough we are lumped together as being Hispanic. Please refrain from making any racist comments against any culture, remember that everyone in this country is originally from someone else, I do not believe those that arrived on Ellis Island had proper documentation ,yet we are all here. Wish you the best and hope that if you have children, you can offer them the opportunity to embrace our differences and celebrate the pride of living in this great country.

Rosap - Please explain just exactly what makes me a racist?

And, do it by reading my posts completely, and in the entire contexts (Not isolating single words or sentences - Go on to read the following sentences and thoughts).

Again, you are simply picking out single words and not looking at the entire reasoning for my bringing up the topics...

Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,345,677 times
Default I read your post and....

how did you know the people were:
#1 illegals? Did they have signs or some sort of distinguishing marks?
#2 non-European? see #1.

It sounded as if you made a number of assumptions. Maybe that's why people seem to think ill of you.......

Old 07-05-2007, 12:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosap View Post
this reply is for migee:
your problem is not that you are a racist, it is that you are culturally incompetent. My family is from the Dominican Republic, a small island in the Caribbean. I came here when I was 6 years old , on a plane ,not a boat. I have attended the best schools in this country and in one generation pulled my family out of poverty. Respect for our differences is important. We are not animals, we come from strong families that care about one another.
Yes, I agree , we have a problem with the "illegal" immigrants in this country, and they are not all Mexicans and not all Hispanics are Mexican, we are also different eventhough we are lumped together as being Hispanic. Please refrain from making any racist comments against any culture, remember that everyone in this country is originally from someone else, I do not believe those that arrived on Ellis Island had proper documentation ,yet we are all here. Wish you the best and hope that if you have children, you can offer them the opportunity to embrace our differences and celebrate the pride of living in this great country.
The really sad thing Rosa is that our op is so blinded by his prejudices that he cannot even begin to understand how insulting his posts have been. Attempting to say now that what he wrote is "okay" because it is the truth further shows just how clueless he really is.

Here's the real truth...no one here has said we don't have crime in Charlotte - we all know we do. But then, crime happens in every large city, it comes with the territory. Additionally, I don't believe anyone here has denied that we have an illegal immigrant population and some problems because of that.

What I have attempted to say to him is this, these things must be kept in perspective and not blown out of proportion. 85 murders a year in a city this large (600,000) is NOT a lot of murders. Especially when you consider the vast majority of them are domestic and/or drug related. Don't hang with emotionally disturbed people or buy/sell drugs and you will most likely never be murdered.

His alarmist technique has truly backfired on him, as no one is buying what he is selling, thank goodness.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The really sad thing Rosa is that our op is so blinded by his prejudices that he cannot even begin to understand how insulting his posts have been. Attempting to say now that what he wrote is "okay" because it is the truth further shows just how clueless he really is.

Here's the real truth...no one here has said we don't have crime in Charlotte - we all know we do. But then, crime happens in every large city, it comes with the territory. Additionally, I don't believe anyone here has denied that we have an illegal immigrant population and some problems because of that.

What I have attempted to say to him is this, these things must be kept in perspective and not blown out of proportion. 85 murders a year in a city this large (600,000) is NOT a lot of murders. Especially when you consider the vast majority of them are domestic and/or drug related. Don't hang with emotionally disturbed people or buy/sell drugs and you will most likely never be murdered.

His alarmist technique has truly backfired on him, as no one is buying what he is selling, thank goodness.
No..You are too unwilling to admit that I am bringing up valid points that should be addressed....

It's not just the murders in the city...There are all types of crime...

Again, I am not hearing any real discussion from you...Only name calling, and the broken record "85 murders is not a lot of murders"....My God - Next time there is a murder, let's see how much you really believe in yourself...Why don't you make it a point to go to the funeral, stand up in front of the victims family and tell them how murder is not really a problem...

I've got news for you...1 murder is too many....

...Oh, by the way...I don't suppose that you work in a gas station or convenience store...Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: