Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:02 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,509 times

Advertisements

This is a perspective of the 4th of July here in North Carolina.

It may not mean much to many - But, to those of you looking to move here, it may give you some perspective on life here.

Part 1 of the day:

We left the house a about 6 AM, to get a picnic spot at Lake James. We arrived at Lake James at just about 7:15 AM. And, there was already a line of about 20 cars, SUV's and pick-up trucks. By 7:30, the line extended to about 40 cars.

We were the only people of European decent. Everyone else was Hispanic.

When the park opened at 8 AM, we did get a spot (I ran to get it).

On one hand, I was sitting there thinking to myself "Why should we pay taxes for our state parks?" - There was no doubt that many of the others there were working off the books, and not paying taxes.

On the other hand - The Hispanics around us saw the akwardness of the situation.

And, I have to admit, that not only were they absoultely well behaved and truly caring about the environment (no littering, no loud music) - But, also one family made a nice gesture and brought us a plate of their own food.

So, I was left torn between two emotions - On one hand, I strongly feel that illegals should not be given a free ride, and (economically) are too overhelming in number.

But, on the other hand - You can't help but respect many of them. They are polite and very likeable people.

Part 2 of the day:
We left Lake James Park at about 2 PM - And, we thought about going to see fireworks.

It would have been nice to go to Charlotte to see them.

But, those of us that live outside of Charlotte know better than to go there at night. It is called "murder city" by many of those that live around it (we do watch the news every night, and see what goes on there).

And, of course, watching the 5 PM news, we saw that the police in Charlotte were gearing up in riot gear. And, we knew what that meant...We didn't have riot gear to wear...So, we skipped the fireworks...

So, I am torn by 2 emotions with this situation...On one hand, Charlotte is a beautiful city (in the center). And, the city is trying to be an open minded, multicultural city....But, let's face it...At night it could turn out to be a nightmare...

And, people can sit back and say "Hey, that's the black community for you"..As the truth is, many problems there are caused by African Americans.

But, in the same light, I would never think of going to Lake Norman - As, that could also be a nightmare - Caused by irresponsible, rowdy, drunken, idiotic white people, driving their power boats for no apparent reason other than making noise and speeding around the lake... How sensible is this?...Ruining a beautiful environment for everyone else...And, putting others in danger.

Anyway,...It just was a day that opened my eyes to what life is like here these days...

Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
This is a perspective of the 4th of July here in North Carolina.

It may not mean much to many - But, to those of you looking to move here, it may give you some perspective on life here.

Part 1 of the day:

We left the house a about 6 AM, to get a picnic spot at Lake James. We arrived at Lake James at just about 7:15 AM. And, there was already a line of about 20 cars, SUV's and pick-up trucks. By 7:30, the line extended to about 40 cars.

We were the only people of European decent. Everyone else was Hispanic.

When the park opened at 8 AM, we did get a spot (I ran to get it).

On one hand, I was sitting there thinking to myself "Why should we pay taxes for our state parks?" - There was no doubt that many of the others there were working off the books, and not paying taxes.

On the other hand - The Hispanics around us saw the akwardness of the situation.

And, I have to admit, that not only were they absoultely well behaved and truly caring about the environment (no littering, no loud music) - But, also one family made a nice gesture and brought us a plate of their own food.

So, I was left torn between two emotions - On one hand, I strongly feel that illegals should not be given a free ride, and (economically) are too overhelming in number.

But, on the other hand - You can't help but respect many of them. They are polite and very likeable people.

Part 2 of the day:
We left Lake James Park at about 2 PM - And, we thought about going to see fireworks.

But, those of us that live outside of Charlotte know better than to go there at night. It is called "murder city" by many of those that live around it (we do watch the news every night, and see what goes on there).

And, of course, watching the 5 PM news, we saw that the police in Charlotte were gearing up in riot gear. And, we knew what that meant...We didn't have riot gear to wear...So, we skipped the fireworks...

So, I am torn by 2 emotions with this situation...On one hand, Charlotte is a beautiful city (in the center). And, the city is trying to be an open minded, multicultural city....But, let's face it...At night it could turn out to be a nightmare...

And, people can sit back and say "Hey, that's the black community for you"..As the truth is, many problems there are caused by African Americans.

But, in the same light, I would never think of going to Lake Norman - As, that could also be a nightmare - Caused by irresponsible, rowdy, drunken, idiotic white people, driving their power boats for no apparent reason other than making noise and speeding around the lake... How sensible is this?...Ruining a beautiful environment for everyone else...And, putting others in danger.

Anyway,...It just was a day that opened my eyes to what life is like here these days...
Charlotte is called "murder city"??? By whom? In all my many years of living here that is a term I have NEVER heard.

Some of you troublemakers/trolls crack me up - at least TRY to be a little more realistic in your attempts to slander the city - this one is just silly.

For anyone reading this post from a place far enough away that you don't know anything about Charlotte, things here are not as this poster would have you believe. Please see thru the bs.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-05-2007 at 06:48 AM..

Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 AM

44 posts, read 154,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte is called "murder city"??? By whom? In all my many years of living here that is a term I have NEVER heard.

Some of you troublemakers/trolls crack me up - at least TRY to be a little more realistic in your attempts to slander the city - this one is just silly.

For anyone reading this post from a place far enough away that you don't know anything about Charlotte, things here are not as this racist would have you believe. Please see thru the bs.
I have to agree with lovesmoutains. This post a racist rant. If you do watch the news you see that most of the arrested on the 4th are just kids staying out after curfew. Sure they are disruptive, but it's not like there are gun fights in the streets. Most of the shooting that do happen in Charlotte are domestic in nature. The police did a great job of keeping the citizens safe.

At least we don't riot if one of our pro sports teams win or loose a big game like most cities. I go to a few events a year in Charlotte and feel perfectly safe. Like any big town there are areas to avoid and if you stick to public areas all is well.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

For anyone reading this post from a place far enough away that you don't know anything about Charlotte, things here are not as this racist would have you believe. Please see thru the bs.
First off - I am not a racist - And, the BS is coming from you...Read the newspapers, watch the news on TV, and open your eyes...Who are you kidding?

And yes, many living near Charlotte call it "murder city" - Have you ever checked the crime statistics - Based on murders per capita? How do you think Charlotte stands in these statistics?

By the way - How am I racist when I simply point out facts - Even about the whites on Lake Norman?

The sad part about this is people like you do not see the reality of the situation, or try to make others believe it does not exist.

Doesn't it strike you as ridiculous that the police in Charlotte have to gear up like soldiers fighting in a war????

And, it is just as bad with the situation on Lake Norman where the police have to bring in extra manpower, boats, and even planes to prepare to deal with the people?..It's also the same prep work as is done in battle!!!

Snap out of it!...Is this progress in our society?..Is this life getting better for us?...That on the day to celebrate our country's liberty, our police have to gear up for battle??? To deal with our own citizens???

At least I can say that at Lake James, the large number of Hispanics (legal or illegal), did not give cause for extra police in riot gear!...And, though I am not in favor of amnesty, or anything like it...I did not see any state troopers there dressed in riot gear...At least these people are behaving civilized.

If you truly want to improve life for everyone (no matter what their ethnic backgound is), recognize the situation, admit there are problems, and start working to solve them...And, pretending they don't exist is not solving them.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeabo View Post
I have to agree with lovesmoutains. This post a racist rant. If you do watch the news you see that most of the arrested on the 4th are just kids staying out after curfew. Sure they are disruptive, but it's not like there are gun fights in the streets. Most of the shooting that do happen in Charlotte are domestic in nature. The police did a great job of keeping the citizens safe.
Check your facts again...

Of the more than 100 people arrested last night, only 14 were juveniles - And of that, only 6 were for curfew violations.

There were 89 adults arrested - 42 for disorderly conduct and 6 for carrying concealed weapons...ONE HAD AN AK-47..."Welcome to Bagdad USA"...

Come on folks...I am not being racist here...I like NC and I like Charlotte...But, we have to deal with the real issues...It's 2007..This is not the wild west of 1870...Let's progress, for crying out loud!..

And, you progress by being honest - First with yourself, and then with the environment around you...

Old 07-05-2007, 07:20 AM

12 posts, read 41,755 times
Quote:
First of all, why are Hispanics always considered to be illegals?? So glad to know they were "well-behaved." And in case you're living in a bubble...any summer holiday, anywhere you live is going to be just as crowded. Especially in Charlotte where most people don't want to drive to the beach. I live in Florida but have family in Charlotte. Yes, Hispanics; oh, but LEGAL. By the way, my nephew is having a house built in Charlotte and we visited last month. There wasn't one American on that construction site. Your city is booming, shopping centers going up and housing developments everywhere. But I think you should be thanking the "illegals" for that.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:

First I think you need to open your eyes a little more and get over your prejudices.

Unless you ask the hispanics for their ID's and tax forms you do not know if they are here illegal you cant presume that they are all illegal they could have moved from texas or california that has have had a hispanic population since I was a kid.

I am glad you had a positive experience with them and see they are good people. I often think they are carrying on the southern culture. Respect for enviroment, close knit families, polite, and giving.

Look at it thru their eyes they have found a great place in nature to enjoy the water, watch the squirrels, teach their kids how to fish, enjoy lush green surroundings. Things that they might have never been able to experience.

I have 3 times this past month pass one who out landscaping in long sleeves in the 90 degree heat and offered them bottle water because it just right thing to do.

Now your other racist comments
If you was to have went to where the actual fireworks display was located you would have been in a safe location. yes the fireworks display has had problem in the last two years and yes I knew way before yesterday if it was my choice to go there or not and yes I choose not to go but 364 other days I find uptown charlotte the safest place to be and I cannot say that in other large city.

You need to keep in mind you are not the only race and all types read this board and your comments was just tacky at best. Try finding some god and happiness and promoting what is great about charlotte and north carolina instead so much hatred.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:28 AM

People who don't live in Charlotte, who don't pay taxes here, who don't vote here, who get their "facts" about Charlotte from the local news have a very narrow view of what this city is really like.

People like the op have "opinions" that deserve absolutely no credibility.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lakes View Post
First of all, why are Hispanics always considered to be illegals?? So glad to know they were "well-behaved." And in case you're living in a bubble...any summer holiday, anywhere you live is going to be just as crowded. Especially in Charlotte where most people don't want to drive to the beach. I live in Florida but have family in Charlotte. Yes, Hispanics; oh, but LEGAL. By the way, my nephew is having a house built in Charlotte and we visited last month. There wasn't one American on that construction site. Your city is booming, shopping centers going up and housing developments everywhere. But I think you should be thanking the "illegals" for that.
4 Lakes - I mentioned that they were "well-behaved" because like many people living here this issue of about 15 to 20 million illegals is significant, and facts like behavior are significant in reconciling the situation - Wouldn't you say so?...The issue has to be reconciled - Doesn't it?...So, is it wrong for someone like me to mention good behavior?

As for the matter of illegals being on all the construction jobs - That is an issue that can be argued from now to doomsday...What if they were not here?..Wouldn't our unemployed African Americans have better lives at better wages (due to supply and demand - Wages go up when there is a labor shortage)?

Why are all Hispanics considered illegal?...Nobody feel this way...Though, the fact is that there is an overwhelming number of illegals, and they are all over the place...15 to 20 million of them...And, no one knows the real number at all!...And, the number is substantial to our population, our public services, our schools, our hospitals...And, everything else...

What happens when the situations in the Middle East get resolved, and we have all of our military people come home, looking for jobs?...With a potential recession occuring????...I am not aware of anything like the "Dot.com" boom on the horizon!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 AM

To put things in perspective, in a city with a population approaching 600,000 85 murders a year does not make Charlotte deserving of any silly "murder city" title (no doubt a made up term by our op just to start trouble).

Especially when almost all of those murders are domestic and/or drug related. Stranger on stranger murder is very rare, though in a big city that will sometimes happen unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: