Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times

Advertisements

Yes I had DirecTV in the past (not in NC though) and i didn't like their slowness to get the HD channels available. I definitely don't want to pay $300 for a DVR but Dish also charges $199 so it's not that much better. Time Warner leases for $7 a month so it would be 28 or 42 months before it can be worthwhile to buy it. These things don't last that long, there's always a new model coming out every year and with a lease you get the upgrade for free.

As far as my TV picture/sound problem, nothing was resolved The third technician came by but because this is an intermittent problem it didn't happen while he was here he said he couldn't do anything . Obvioulsy after he left the problem started again grrrr..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 12:16 PM

46 posts, read 131,804 times
Default Cable vs Dish

Just a heads up: Dish, owned by EchoStar, has a court order (being appealed) to stop broadcasting. It's DVRs are using TiVO technology without permission. It is far cheaper to buy your own DVR, use it for a two-three years, then maybe consider a newer one; do not ever rush out to buy the newest model of any electronic. Just wait a bit. The only time you should worry, as in "worry," is when the model is going on sale for really low prices and there seems to be a lot of them left to sell. Don't buy those.

Until the stations broadcast in HD, no matter how hi def your receiver is, it won't change. Having an HD TV right now is great, but until all stations/channels send out the signal in HD, you'll have to pay extra in order get a signal in HD that is being sent out in HD. Not all channels do because most people still have older TVs.

I'm waiting. I hate the idea of paying extra for a maybe-it'll-come-in-HD-or-not proposition.

Last edited by CA2TX; 08-25-2006 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: original word was being mysteriously changed to asterisks by City-Data

Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM

46 posts, read 131,804 times
Oh, and suddenLink is broadcasting more than one version of certain network channels. Who needs more than one ABC?

Old 08-25-2006, 06:47 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2TX View Post
Just a heads up: Dish, owned by EchoStar, has a court order (being appealed) to stop broadcasting. It's DVRs are using TiVO technology without permission. It is far cheaper to buy your own DVR, use it for a two-three years, then maybe consider a newer one; do not ever rush out to buy the newest model of any electronic. Just wait a bit. The only time you should worry, as in "worry," is when the model is going on sale for really low prices and there seems to be a lot of them left to sell. Don't buy those.

Until the stations broadcast in HD, no matter how hi def your receiver is, it won't change. Having an HD TV right now is great, but until all stations/channels send out the signal in HD, you'll have to pay extra in order get a signal in HD that is being sent out in HD. Not all channels do because most people still have older TVs.

I'm waiting. I hate the idea of paying extra for a maybe-it'll-come-in-HD-or-not proposition.

There really is very little interesting content in HD on cable/satellite. I am here crazy trying to figure out what is the best deal for an HD-DVR but actually now I think i don't need one. I think I'd get a better deal and more entertainment if I get a regular SD DVR from the cable/satellite company (they cost peanuts) and buy an HD-DVD or Blue-Ray player and rent HD movies from Netflix. Hmmm...

Old 08-26-2006, 02:36 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
We had Dish in Ca and hated it so switched to Direct and it was 100X better. We signed up at Best Buy and bought our Tivo there and it ended up being less expensive that way. Our soon to be new neighbors said not to even bother with Time Warners DSL/Highspeed. They said Road Runners is 10X faster in this area. I think at this time our plan is to go back to Direct TV and try Roadrunner.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:48 AM

336 posts, read 512,897 times
I can see English Premier League matches on DirecTV. That alone makes it better than all others listed.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 PM

58 posts, read 344,378 times
I have time warner digital cable, internet, and digital phone. I think this is the best for your money in my area. A lot of people I know lose their satellite (Dish and Direct) reception because of the hard rain we get down here and the ice storms we get in the winters.
You can get the phone, internet, cable bundle for around $180/mo. free installation, no contract, no purchases, the $180 includes digital phone (call anywhere in the U.S, Canada, Puerto Rico for one price), Internet, and Digital cable with all premium channels and all premium on demand and many other on demand channels as well as local channels. They also offer NFL, Nascar, Baseball, Hockey, pretty much any sport package where you can see any game that is being played, I think they even have one where you can watch 8 football games at one time on one screen if you want.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkruk View Post
I have time warner digital cable, internet, and digital phone. I think this is the best for your money in my area. A lot of people I know lose their satellite (Dish and Direct) reception because of the hard rain we get down here and the ice storms we get in the winters.
You can get the phone, internet, cable bundle for around $180/mo. free installation, no contract, no purchases, the $180 includes digital phone (call anywhere in the U.S, Canada, Puerto Rico for one price), Internet, and Digital cable with all premium channels and all premium on demand and many other on demand channels as well as local channels. They also offer NFL, Nascar, Baseball, Hockey, pretty much any sport package where you can see any game that is being played, I think they even have one where you can watch 8 football games at one time on one screen if you want.
Time Warner phone service is a rip off even in a bundle. They charge $40 monthly while every other VOIP phone service provider charges $20-$25 monthly for the same thing.

If I took that $180, paid for unbundled Road Runner at $44.95 and $25 for Vonage phone service, I would be left with $110 for television channels.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Time Warner phone service is a rip off even in a bundle. They charge $40 monthly while every other VOIP phone service provider charges $20-$25 monthly for the same thing.

If I took that $180, paid for unbundled Road Runner at $44.95 and $25 for Vonage phone service, I would be left with $110 for television channels.
I guess I thought RoadRunner was part of TW?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I guess I thought RoadRunner was part of TW?
Yes it is part of Time Warner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina