Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 PM

84 posts, read 166,920 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are an Asian muslim family that are thinking of moving to North Carolina. We'd like opinions on what you think will be a good place/fit for our situation and what we are looking for and not looking for. I will list a few things and hope to hear your opinion on the matter.

A little about us: A family medicine doctor who is single but may get married this year. His parents will be living with him. I am considering living near him (I am also in the medical field and am his sibling.) We are moderately religious but he does have a beard so people often recognize him as muslim. We currently live in Ohio but we grew up in Miami, Florida.

A little about where we live now: We live in a small city in Ohio, near Michigan. The issue here is one, it snows quite a bit and is cloudy much of the winter. Growing up in Miami, we'd like to see more sun, but we also like cold weather and a change of seasons. The other thing is, everything seems to close by 5PM here. So if we want to do something after work, we have to drive to Michigan about an hour away from our city. We dont expect it to be like Miami, but this is like the opposite end of the spectrum.

What we'd like to find: A place with all the seasons. A place that isnt just all flat preferably (though not a necessity). We prefer city life but being just outside a large city isnt so bad either (meaning the burbs). Being from Miami it rained a lot in summer so thats not an issue. We dont want to deal with high-level snow on the roads every winter. Southern Michigan has a lot of potholes on the road, that's something we also dont want to deal with all the time. We like to be near the ocean if possible, meaning not more than 2 hours away from the ocean. Although if a city is really nice, we may give that up. We'd like a place with excellent private schools. Housing in the 500K or less range. Housing where your neighbor cant hear you slam your own doors but close enough to walk to if you need to borrow some sugar. We are into organic foods/items so such grocers will be nice to be closer as opposed to farther. We like to have a place to go to after work to meet with coworkers or friends, that's open till midnite (if possible). I dont mean clubs or bars specifically, maybe a lounge or restaurant that is open late. Most of our friends currently are fellow doctors and their spouses, but thats because its just who you happen to meet at work. We like parks and road-trips, museums and conventions/trade-shows, whether they be religious or auto/boat shows, business related, botanical, etc. We watch football but we can get that on television. We'd like an area that has a sizeable asian community, where we wouldnt stick-out everywhere we went.

Any recommendations? I can answer questions if asked if you need to know more information.

Thank you.

Last edited by AsianGal; 01-13-2011 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 08:38 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Somewhere near Raleigh. That's as close as you'll get to the ocean without losing the other things you want.
There's a lot of participation in the Triangle sub-forum, and you can get more detailed information there.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:37 PM

84 posts, read 166,920 times
I did move it to that section since I saw more people replying there.

This can be deleted by the mods once they see this.

Thank you.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
Fayetteville would be a good match too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina