Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM

79 posts, read 227,000 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone can help me. October 2006, I sold some undeveloped land. I agreed to carry a small amount and received the bulk of the purchase price at the time of closing.

In the purchase contract I added an additional 7 day period for the buyer to come look at the land and have final approval. I did not have any surveys done on the property as of yet, since I had not done anything with it.

After the close the buyer then surveyed the property and found out that there are some water easements that would restict the size of his house and placement on the four acres. He now says since he found this out, he feels that he not only does not want to pay the note, but I need to give him 30K back. He has gotten representation and this is the info that was stated in the letter. My husband is a real estate broker and they are saying that he did not give them material fact of these easements. We did not know of any when we bought the property, so this was news to us?

Any help someone can give would be awesome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times
Default Get a lawyer....

I would recommend you seek legal advice on this one.

From what you stated, I can understand the buyers concern in that you did not inform him of the easement. I would think ou would have to prove you didn't know about it.

I am by no means an expert, but if he has retained a lawyer, you should too.

Good luck,.....marc

Old 07-18-2007, 03:15 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
I agree - get a lawyer who will know more about this than folks on a message board!!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM

28 posts, read 125,139 times
Good Luck with this... If he decided to close on a property without having it surveyed first he is a dumb person to start with, it is not your responsibility to provide the survey as the seller it is his as the buyer! Just my 2 cents. Again good luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times
As always, get a lawyer. Having said that, he did not do his due diligence, he had the chance to investigate what he wanted to, prior to closing. If he doesn't pay the note, foreclose and take possession of the property, you did not have any knowledge of the incumberance on the property and should not be held liable. If you were a licensed realtor, that may make a difference, but doesn't sound like it, so you you should be ok.

If this makes it to court, ensure that you are in a position to get your legal bills covered by the party enjoining suit.

Good luck. Get a lawyer.

Tony

Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
if you guys 'closed' on the property then he should be out of luck.

IF YOU WERE REPRESENTED by a realtor...then you goofed. Your husband is a realtor....then he has to mention all material facts

His closing attorney goofed also because they should found the deed restrictions when they did title!

It doesnt sounds like there is an easement.....probably something else that wouldnt allow him to build on the 4acres....

Surveys are for encroachments....or it's done to see if you can build a 3/2 house or bigger.
I think it's called a soil test.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,980 times
As someone who has been on the other end of an undisclosed easement (county sewer lines) I have a lot of sympathy for your buyer. In my case I had already taken posession of the house so I settled with the title insurance company. I ddon't know whether the title insurance company went after the developer.

I'm sure that you didn't conceal the easements intentionally but put yourself in the buyer's place. You'd be ticked off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina