Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 16,386 times

Advertisements

I received a ticket from a state trooper while traveling on I-85 N in Rowan County, near Salisbury. The ticket was written for 73 mph in a 55 zone (construction zone). I normally don't speed (at least not to that extent). I was into hour 7 of my drive home to Raleigh from Alabama, was thinking about my sick father...and just zoned out. I know that is no excuse for speeding and I feel really bad about this. I just neglected to notice that the speed limit had dropped to 55...no excuses. I was planning to just pay the fine and move on, but after reading online I realized that the penalty for going more than 15 above the speed limit at a speed higher than 55 mph is license suspension! I don't have any other tickets on my record. I need to hire an attorney to help with this, as I really don't want to have my license suspended. But have no idea about good attorneys in the area. Can anyone recommend one? Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Since you have no priors go to the DA office be sincere like you are in this post and well dressed and ask for Prayer for Judgement before attempting a Lawyer.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
^ Careful with that PJC. In this case, it's highly likely you can get the charge reduced to something below 65 mph. If so, you can just pay the fine + court costs--no insurance points. You don't want to use a PJC if you can get it reduced. You only get a limited number of PJC's, and you really should "save" it in case you happen to be involved in something more serious.

Do as Sunny says--go see the DA, but don't mention the PJC. Just explain what happened and ask if there's any way you can get the charge reduced. Be sure to bring along a copy of your driving record to show you don't have any prior violations.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 16,386 times
Thanks to you both for the advice! Do you know if I have to wait until the court date to speak with the DA, or can I go before then?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgla77 View Post
Thanks to you both for the advice! Do you know if I have to wait until the court date to speak with the DA, or can I go before then?
You can go beforehand. You can also ask to plead to a lesser charge--improper equipment. And sometimes they'll make you go to traffic school, but it beats the ticket on your record and points, and insurance, etc.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 PM

854 posts, read 1,705,123 times
Normally you'll have to wait til the court date, but you can call the DA's office and ask.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 AM

^ Yep, in simple cases like this you can just show up on your court date. Not sure how smaller counties handle it, but in the larger counties there's a magistrate (actually I think it's a rep of the DA's office) who screens traffic tickets all day long. Just go get in the line, and he'll either reduce the charge or not. If not, then you can either plead guilty to the original charge and pay your fine, or go to the regular traffic court as scheduled and plead your case there.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Used to work highway construction and sorry, but you get no sympathy from me. Sounds like you were pretty pre-occupied in an area where I used to make my living. Based on the circumstances, are you 100% confident you could have avoided a worker that stepped into your path. Yep, I thought so. It is a matter of life and death. That is why the penalties are as they are. I can't believe the permissiveness of folks that have told you how to avoid paying your price for breaking the law. Disgusting.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Used to work highway construction and sorry, but you get no sympathy from me. Sounds like you were pretty pre-occupied in an area where I used to make my living. Based on the circumstances, are you 100% confident you could have avoided a worker that stepped into your path. Yep, I thought so. It is a matter of life and death. That is why the penalties are as they are. I can't believe the permissiveness of folks that have told you how to avoid paying your price for breaking the law. Disgusting.

Whoa, calm down. If you're referring to me with your "permissiveness of folk" comment, it's not me that's being permissive. It's the state of NC. Sometimes they see fit to go easy on someone when the facts of the case allow it. Sorry, but that's just how things work, and I didn't make the rules.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 AM

63 posts, read 208,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I hear you. One thing is certain, if this driver is properly prosecuted he won't speed in a work zone again. If he isn't then who knows?

Just love how everyone implies that the life of a worker in a construction zone is worth less than a driver's license.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina