Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 PM

22 posts, read 91,486 times

Advertisements

Hello all... I am yet another Long Islander looking to re-locate due to the impossible cost of living in Long Island.

I have been reading through the NC/SC forums and everyone's posts has been valuable to me.

Anyway, I have worked in the software industry (support, QA, web development, light programming) for about 12 years. The Long Island market is not red hot but I have been lucky enough to ride out the dotcom storm and work with/for the same group of people for about 10 years. The company name changes but the core people remain. I have been able to do so on Long Island WITHOUT doing the daily grind to NYC everyday.

Of course leaving the comfort of this job is probably one of the biggest things holding me back from leaving. Yet I know I am dead ended and something needs to be done soon.

From the posts I have read on here, Charlotte seems to be the place to be for software related jobs. Is Charlotte really better than the Raleigh-Durham area and Research Triangle Park?

I have a 1/2 hour commute (without traffic) and that is about far enough for me! It looks like public transportation is not yet an option in NC so you are a slave to the traffic, which also scares me. Are any companies allowing tele-commuting for software jobs? One of the perks of my industry is that you can do 99% of your job from anywhere as long as you have a good internet connection (and a boss that allows you.)

Any insight on the above would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 AM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times
I am a software engineer. I went to school in LI, moved to SC, and now I live in Raleigh. Raleigh has a lot of software jobs. There are many small and large software companies, IBM, SAS, Kean and google is building a headquarts here as well, just to name few. Also, the government always is hiring IT people.
I don't know much about Charlotte, but I know someone who moved to Charlotte from SC and he loves it too.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:27 AM

Wow, all those views and only one reply? I am sure there are more geeks out there! Don't hide the jobs!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM

150 posts, read 599,111 times
Sorry - but the above was the best answer. Raleigh (RTP) are huge on IT jobs.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:17 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
In order I'd say Raleigh, Charlotte, The Triad, and Asheville and Wilmington lagging far behind the top two. I've lived in Wilmington and now live in Asheville and am in software development and there is next to nothing in those two cities.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times
RTP is in Durham, not Raleigh

Old 07-24-2007, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of hoping Charlotte would win since I have my eyes on Fort Mill/Tega Cay.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
Default Great jobs for the state

My husband works for the state as a computer programmer. They have plenty of programmer and web jobs posted. You have to look on the North Carolina State website for these. He is a programmer for DIRM in downtown Raleigh. He Loves is job....great laid back people, flexibility, and state benefits. Contracters often work with DIRM and want to stay for long term positions. The down side is that the state does not pay as much as private industry.....but, you couldn't pay my husband 20k more to leave his job! Sometimes happiness outweighs money.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 PM

This is probably a dumb question but are there "industrial parks" in the state? Like I said above, I have been in the software industry for years and thankfully have not had to make the big commute to NYC. There are a few industrial parks that have lots of office buildings built alongside residential cmomunities.

Do such things exist in NC/SC or do you have to work "in the city" to get a software job?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfNY View Post
This is probably a dumb question but are there "industrial parks" in the state? Like I said above, I have been in the software industry for years and thankfully have not had to make the big commute to NYC. There are a few industrial parks that have lots of office buildings built alongside residential cmomunities.

Do such things exist in NC/SC or do you have to work "in the city" to get a software job?
Check out this website for info on RTP in Durham, NC: Research Triangle Park :: The Research Triangle Park (broken link)

Here is a quick list of Software Related & IT companies located in RTP, there are other software places in the area like SAS in Cary but RTP is home to the majority.

Brown Computer Company
Caspian Networks
Chorus Systems
Cisco Systems
EMC Corporation
Ericsson
IBM
Learning Machines
Lenovo
Mi-Co
National Institute of Statistical Sciences
Network Appliance
Network Development Group
Nortel Networks
Software Development Europe, Inc.
Sony Ericsson
Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute
Triangle Research Collaborative
UAI Technology, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina