Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 06:39 AM

926 posts, read 828,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Actually South Carolina was the "better" Carolina back then. They had Charleston. Virginia had the Chesapeake. We were a void between the two prominent states. But in the 20th Century, we turned on the afterburners and haven't looked back sense. Hello New South!
We had a Wilmington back then and that's about the time Fayetteville was the state capital after the split or something like that haha. Somewhere along the line Charlotte and Raleigh overtook Wilmington and Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 05:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
It's not "vastly different", huh? NC just has larger cities.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
South Carolina is like North Carolina's slow chubby little sister. Outside of sharing a name and sharing the same little rural towns sprinkled throughout the area.They are different.
North Carolina has better schools, better jobs, better healthcare, better roads, and better state regulations to protect citizens, the list is endless!
The only thing South Carolina has going for it is Charleston, Greenville, and a beach or two.
Even on paper NC is just better than SC.
I can't even believe this is up for debate.
South Carolina is a prime example of what paying lower taxes does to regress areas.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:30 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 742Evergreen View Post
South Carolina is like North Carolina's slow chubby little sister. Outside of sharing a name and sharing the same little rural towns sprinkled throughout the area.They are different.
North Carolina has better schools, better jobs, better healthcare, better roads, and better state regulations to protect citizens, the list is endless!
The only thing South Carolina has going for it is Charleston, Greenville, and a beach or two.
Even on paper NC is just better than SC.
I can't even believe this is up for debate.
South Carolina is a prime example of what paying lower taxes does to regress areas.
And you created an account just to spew this outdated nonsense, huh? Get a life.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:10 AM

617 posts, read 552,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And you created an account just to spew this outdated nonsense, huh? Get a life.
Exactly! Isn't SC booming just as much as NC these days?

Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
I have to agree with some others about SC. When driving through South Carolina, we will stop for gas, but try not to have to have a bathroom break in that state. Most roads and public bathrooms, we have found, (note I did not say all), are not in good shape. You get what you pay for-low taxes = low quality often. Greenville is nice and booming- Charlestown is one of our favorite places. Lots of wonderful people live in S.C. The vibe of the two states are different. There is no one best place for anyone.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:23 PM

127 posts, read 135,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I have to agree with some others about SC. When driving through South Carolina, we will stop for gas, but try not to have to have a bathroom break in that state. Most roads and public bathrooms, we have found, (note I did not say all), are not in good shape. You get what you pay for-low taxes = low quality often. Greenville is nice and booming- Charlestown is one of our favorite places. Lots of wonderful people live in S.C. The vibe of the two states are different. There is no one best place for anyone.
Georgia, Texas, Colorado, North Dakota, Washington, are some of the states that Wallethub has lower effective tax rate than NC, and higher than SC.

SC taxes aren't that much lower than NC ones, and we aren't that much better off. How they earn their income is way different, and on the surface booming Raleigh and Charlotte you could say are doing much better. But when you look at the numbers, the median household income is less than $600 higher in NC. There are a lot of crummy spots in both states, but both come in bottom 10 in median household income, that's why companies are locating here.

Education spending is actually less in NC, HS graduation rates are virtually identical, it's not until you get to College graduation rates that they diverge. I'd attribute this to Charlotte and Raleigh, and their ability to attract workers from other states.

Last edited by QuickJoin; 09-29-2017 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 08:45 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default Wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
Georgia, Texas, Colorado, North Dakota, Washington, are some of the states that Wallethub has lower effective tax rate than NC, and higher than SC.

SC taxes aren't that much lower than NC ones, and we aren't that much better off. How they earn their income is way different, and on the surface booming Raleigh and Charlotte you could say are doing much better. But when you look at the numbers, the median household income is less than $600 higher in NC. There are a lot of crummy spots in both states, but both come in bottom 10 in median household income, that's why companies are locating here.

Education spending is actually less in NC, HS graduation rates are virtually identical, it's not until you get to College graduation rates that they diverge. I'd attribute this to Charlotte and Raleigh, and their ability to attract workers from other states.
Why public non tourist areas are so shabby in SC. Companies are always going to go for low wage areas. That is why so much manufacturing went overseas. I wasn't commenting on the economics as much as the worn down feeling we get when we are in SC--as opposed to any other state we have visited lately. Several years ago we were in New Mexico-the poverty was heart breaking- most roads were good-so you have to wonder about their priorities also.

Some counties in NC are paying teachers a supplement and building low cost housing for them. I am saddened by the state of public education in this country and do not see it getting better under this federal administration.

Just my personal perspective.

Last edited by funisart; 09-30-2017 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Spell

Old 10-01-2017, 03:43 PM

127 posts, read 135,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Why public non tourist areas are so shabby in SC. Companies are always going to go for low wage areas. That is why so much manufacturing went overseas. I wasn't commenting on the economics as much as the worn down feeling we get when we are in SC--as opposed to any other state we have visited lately. Several years ago we were in New Mexico-the poverty was heart breaking- most roads were good-so you have to wonder about their priorities also.

Some counties in NC are paying teachers a supplement and building low cost housing for them. I am saddened by the state of public education in this country and do not see it getting better under this federal administration.

Just my personal perspective.
I wouldn't call their roads way better than SC, although they were fine. The worst roads I've seen are in NYC, so I'd hardly call it a tax issue.

New Mexico is amazing, but they don't call it the "Land of Entrapment" for nothing. There really aren't a whole lot of economic opportunities. There is a huge DOD, DOE, other gov't agencies, contractors presence there, but from what I saw most of those people from other (Often Northeast it seemed) parts of the country. And then there is oil. Aside from that there often isn't much else for economic activity, Intel in Rio Rancho has been cutting it's employment numbers drastically.

Poverty in NM is way more stark than anything the Carolinas can throw at it. The street corner beggars for money simply look worn out, here they often don't even look homeless.

Old 06-08-2021, 04:08 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This is so true. Here's the results from the 1790 census.

15 largest US cities (1790 census)
1. New York NY 49,401
2. Philadelphia PA 28,522
3. Boston MA 18,320
4. Charleston SC 16,359
5. Baltimore MD 13,503
6. Providence RI 6,380
7. New Haven CT 4,487
8. Richmond VA 3,761
9. Albany NY 3,498
10. New Bedford MA 3,313
11. Norfolk VA 2,959
12. Hartford CT 2,683
13. Portland ME 2,233
14. Worcester MA 2,095
15. Springfield MA 1,574
Largest U.S. Cities, 1790

IMO (and I'm probably in the minority on this thread) there's very little difference between NC and SC by today's standards. NC has been slightly more influenced by transplants. Still though, both states are really the same when it comes to culture and core beliefs.
Can you imagine if today the largest city in the US had less than 50,000 people? Even of the US had the same borders now that it did then? A time traveler going back to that day from ours would find the nation seem incredibly empty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina