Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 7,935 times

Advertisements

No Wake Forest and East Carolina are not located in the RTP. Nor is Carolina and NC State if we get technical. That is not what I said. These are schools that we heavily recruit because they are located in our immediate region. If it takes someone more than a hour to drive from Raleigh to Greenville, then they probably are lost or are not familiar with this area. Maybe from out of state or from the Western part of the state. Wake Forest to Durham or Chapel Hill may be a bit over 1 hour, I agree, but is still part of our RTP footprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
No Wake Forest and East Carolina are not located in the RTP. Nor is Carolina and NC State if we get technical. That is not what I said. These are schools that we heavily recruit because they are located in our immediate region. If it takes someone more than a hour to drive from Raleigh to Greenville, then they probably are lost or are not familiar with this area. Maybe from out of state or from the Western part of the state. Wake Forest to Durham or Chapel Hill may be a bit over 1 hour, I agree, but is still part of our RTP footprint.
Not to split hairs but you said, and I used, the term "RTP area" I don't believe either of us intended to mean the RT Park itself. I stand by my statement. Your company may recruit from those schools, but you did not say that in your post, and anyone who knows anything about NC would never lump WFU & ECU together with other colleges and universities as being part of the Research Triangle area.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
and... I don't disagree about the significance of the RTP area, but ECU is not, by any stretch of the imagine, in the Triangle area, nor is it within a 45 minute drive.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Not to split hairs but you said, and I used, the term "RTP area" I don't believe either of us intended to mean the RT Park itself. I stand by my statement. Your company may recruit from those schools, but you did not say that in your post, and anyone who knows anything about NC would never lump WFU & ECU together with other colleges and universities as being part of the Research Triangle area.
UConn, St Johns, Rutgers, etc. are all part of Wall Streets' immediate recruiting footprint because of immediate proximity to Wall Street. If I said that ECU was part of Wall Streets' immediate footprint, then that would not make sense. You are talking about 1 hour, so it makes perfect sense in this context. These are 3 different states and the schools are definitely farther away than Wake and ECU in relation to RTP. Not sure about Wake, but we have lot's employees that commute from Greenville to RTP daily for work. That probably would not be so if it was say UNC Charlotte or Appalachian State.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:30 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
This is mostly true for our friends out on the west coast....they really don't have much of a sense for any geography east of the rockies out there. I once had a hard time convincing a Californian (who we had casually met on vacation in Hawaii) that a) North and South Carolina where in fact, two separate states, and b) that New York was a state, and not just a city named twice (seriously).
Very true... people in threads such as these really need to get out more, and lay off the keyboard warrior stuff.

Had a similar situation when chatting with a some guys from out west who didn't have the slightest idea where Chapel Hill was located before coming here, and lumped both states into one.

Folks really get tunnel vision... newsflash, nobody outside the region (and that might be a stretch) really cares. I'd argue and say the Carolinas... You think that others states that have huge state universities and rivalries of its own gives a rats a$$ about the Dean Dome and UNC history

I recall there was question on Jeopardy about NCAA basketball several years ago. The question: What college team played in the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill? Nobody knew... no one even took a stab at it.

That always stuck with me because it then let me know how ignorant and short-sighted people are here.

There's a whole 'nother world outside of the hermit, lay folks who post on the Web all day.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
There is no way on earth you can get from Wake Forest in Winston-Salem to the Research Triangle or Raleigh or Durham in an hour. It's not possible unless you have your own plane! It's about a 2 hour drive. I've done it several times.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:35 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Very true... people in threads such as these really need to get out more, and lay off the keyboard warrior stuff.

Had a similar situation when chatting with a some guys from out west who didn't have the slightest idea where Chapel Hill was located before coming here, and lumped both states into one.

Folks really get tunnel vision... newsflash, nobody outside the region (and that might be a stretch) really cares. I'd argue and say the Carolinas... You think that others states that have huge state universities and rivalries of its own gives a rats a$$ about the Dean Dome and UNC history

I recall there was question on Jeopardy about NCAA basketball several years ago. The question: What college team played in the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill? Nobody knew... no one even took a stab at it.

That always stuck with me because it then let me know how ignorant and short-sighted people are here.

There's a whole 'nother world outside of the hermit, lay folks who post on the Web all day.
A lack of geographical sense doesn't make one ignorant or short-sighted...

People generally aren't familiar with areas outside their immediate region, and while much of the US is transient, almost 40% of the US population has never lived outside their birthplace, and over 50% of Americans have never lived outside their home state. This taken into account, it's easy to see how people confuse the Carolinas or are light on knowledge...

Just to add to this point, I lived in Charlotte and Fayetteville. The knowledge of basic California things is horrible. I've met people who had no clue that New York was a state, I met someone who thought Buffalo was in Canada, people who think DC is currently actually a city in Maryland, people who can't point out Arkansas on a map. The stereotypes go both ways. For all the attention NC gets for its transient population, there are many people in state who were born and/or raised here, or have lived the overwhelming majority of their lives here. I met those kind of people all over the state. You can't expect people who haven't traveled much or lived away from their hometown to be geographically learned...

Last edited by murksiderock; 03-08-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
A lack of geographical sense doesn't make one ignorant or short-sighted...

Definition of ignorant

1. 1a : destitute of knowledge or education an ignorant society; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified parents ignorant of modern mathematicsb : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence ignorant errors
  2. 2 : unaware, uninformed

-Merriam Webster

Old 03-10-2017, 04:30 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Most people who live in NC don't work at companies in the RTP. I'm surprised at how often that is mentioned as a difference.

SC has similar companies as ones in RTP.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Sigh...here we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina