Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 01:23 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,445,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
Interstate 85 from North of Salisbury to the 85/29 split at Grandover looks rural with the possible exception of exits 111 (Archdale) and 103 Ithomasville)

This is how most of that stretch looks.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7996...7i16384!8i8192

With the exceptions of the huge interchanges on the southwest edge and eastern edge of Greensboro, 85 through Greensboro doesn't look like you are driving through a major metro. Plenty of lanes, but plenty of trees, but no built up interchanges except for the Interchange with Elm/Eugene Street. Actually in my opinion, outside of going through Charlotte, the 8 mile stretch going through Burlington looks more ”major” than any other part of 85 throughout the state. Burlington looks like a city of 200,000 as opposed to 50,000 if just going by that built up section.
So true! Alamance County’s development and population is concentrated along 85/40 so that it really seems like the county is much more urban than it is overall. It’s impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 01:54 PM

6,634 posts, read 4,319,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I agree. Greenville definitely wins. Especially as a place to live.
Nowhere in or close to Greenville has the mountain views out my back windows like I have in western NC. I’ll say it again - I love downtown Greenville. Otherwise, it could be anywhere; nothing that special outside of the downtown area.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:30 PM

680 posts, read 498,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
So true! Alamance County’s development and population is concentrated along 85/40 so that it really seems like the county is much more urban than it is overall. It’s impressive.

Especially so at night. Every interchange in the county is lighted up... and from exits 140-148 there is continuous lighting in the median. Only Greensboro, Charlotte (when the bulbs are working) and Durham have interstate sections like that. (Maybe South Raleigh is like that on the reconstructed part of 40) Not sure why its not like that on 40 leading into Raleigh from the west, or on 440.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Nowhere in or close to Greenville has the mountain views out my back windows like I have in western NC. I’ll say it again - I love downtown Greenville. Otherwise, it could be anywhere; nothing that special outside of the downtown area.
Yes agreed.

Old 01-01-2023, 07:35 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,358,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
And THIS is where South Carolina is superior to North Carolina by a wide margin. If South Carolina had a city with nearly 1 million people and nearly 3 million in the metro area (and the nation's top ten busiest airport); would the main freeway thoroughfare across that city have congested lanes with way-too-short acceleration and deceleration lanes? I-77 from mile-marker 77 to the NC state line IN SOUTH CAROLINA (nearly 14 miles) has 8 total lanes with 9 lanes crossing the Catawba River. I-77 through Charlotte (at the very least) should look like I-65 going through Nashville. Clearly the state of North Carolina has treated I-77 from uptown to Carowinds like a total afterthought while making Burlington look like Minneapolis. Politics at its worst for sure!!! Recently, I witnessed the construction of a North-South freeway going through Clinton, NC. Yeah, we see where the political power is with NC DOT.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:04 PM

680 posts, read 498,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And THIS is where South Carolina is superior to North Carolina by a wide margin. If South Carolina had a city with nearly 1 million people and nearly 3 million in the metro area (and the nation's top ten busiest airport); would the main freeway thoroughfare across that city have congested lanes with way-too-short acceleration and deceleration lanes? I-77 from mile-marker 77 to the NC state line IN SOUTH CAROLINA (nearly 14 miles) has 8 total lanes with 9 lanes crossing the Catawba River. I-77 through Charlotte (at the very least) should look like I-65 going through Nashville. Clearly the state of North Carolina has treated I-77 from uptown to Carowinds like a total afterthought while making Burlington look like Minneapolis. Politics at its worst for sure!!! Recently, I witnessed the construction of a North-South freeway going through Clinton, NC. Yeah, we see where the political power is with NC DOT.

SCDOT isn't better than NCDOT, but I agree that they have done a poor job with 77 in South Charlotte. 77 should be a 8-10 lanes from the 85 interchange to the state line, and in my opinion should be 8 lanes to statesville and 6 lanes to the 77/74 split in Surry County. Even worse is that they built 485 in South Charlotte with only 4 lanes. I remember the first time i rode on the first stretch when built in 1989?, I was surprised to see the lack of lanes.

In fairness to Burlington, it is a multiplex with 40/85 and its AADT has been in the 100-130,000 range through that stretch for the past 18 years or so. That's definitely calls for a 8 lanes, particularly with the amount of truck traffic. That's a lower AADT than 77 through South Charlotte, but not that far off.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:17 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I-85 does not look like a rural interstate except for at each border with about 30 miles near VA and about 10 miles at SC.

That's out of about 220 miles for the entire length of I-85 through NC.

For the overwhelming majority of the distance, the highway is 8 lanes wide, some of it is 6 lanes, and there are many, many exits with all kinds of businesses, hotels and gas stations and eateries.

That's exactly what the suburban peripheries of major cities look like including Atlanta and Southern California.

I-85 through the upstate of SC looks like that too. It does not look like you are in a rural area.

Florence to Augusta in SC does look rural.
Not rural =/= major metropolitan area

Old 01-02-2023, 01:49 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Asheville, actually being in the Blue Ridge Mountains, certainly has the edge on Greenville, which is in the foothills, in terms of scenery. But one only need head to north Greenville County for more scenic views at Paris Mountain, Ceasar's Head, Table Rock, Jones Gap, etc. Greenville is very much a foothills city and feels like it inside and outside the city, which precludes it from feeling like anywhere else outside of downtown IMO.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:52 AM

249 posts, read 437,805 times
Quote:
Well, you are from there from the looks of it, so of course you will choose Asheville.

I'm not from either, and live near the coast in the country of SC.

I'll say it again too, Asheville is nice, but nothing on Greenville. Outside of the mountains, Asheville wouldn't even be well known. There isn't much to do there...Biltmore is overrated...shopping (nah...)

For example - me and my wife stayed near Biltmore for our 10 year anniversary. Despite trying our best to find something to do in Asheville, we decided we make the almost 2 hour trek to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for 3 days just to do something.

but hey, at least it is pretty..

Old 01-02-2023, 09:30 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,283,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
Well, you are from there from the looks of it, so of course you will choose Asheville.

I'm not from either, and live near the coast in the country of SC.

I'll say it again too, Asheville is nice, but nothing on Greenville. Outside of the mountains, Asheville wouldn't even be well known. There isn't much to do there...Biltmore is overrated...shopping (nah...)

For example - me and my wife stayed near Biltmore for our 10 year anniversary. Despite trying our best to find something to do in Asheville, we decided we make the almost 2 hour trek to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for 3 days just to do something.

but hey, at least it is pretty..
In my experiences, there are few places that really have more than 2-3 days of things to do. That maybe should have been part of the original plan…I am sure after 2 days in Pigeon Forge, you were ready to get the hell out of there as well.

I mean after a day or so in Greenville, the what? ATL?

Old 01-02-2023, 10:30 AM

249 posts, read 437,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
In my experiences, there are few places that really have more than 2-3 days of things to do. That maybe should have been part of the original plan…I am sure after 2 days in Pigeon Forge, you were ready to get the hell out of there as well.

I mean after a day or so in Greenville, the what? ATL?
Greenville,

Theaters/Concert Venues hosting large and bigger acts than in Asheville,

Shopping (chains and non chains)

Falls Park in Downtown

Greenville Zoo

Museums

Travel the short 19 miles to Cleveland SC / Pretty Place Chapel and see views Asheville doesn't provide of the mountains.

Asheville

A big house

Pretty hills/mountains

Food

We all have opinions, but Asheville is just overrated to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina