Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalba2807 View Post
I want to be close to mountians, water (even lakes) trees, a town with charm but still be accessible to the city
... Is there a small town outside of raliegh with that natural beauty I'm looking for?
Not really. There is no *one* place that hits on all cylinders.

Your criteria are what led me to choose Winston-Salem as the best compromise
wrt an actual city with actual city amenities but still close enough to the mountains for day trips.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Hello, we'll be visiting NC next weekend to explore and decide if this is where we want to move our family. I'm looking for that small town feel to satisfy my VT roots while still being accessible to the city for my NY native hubby. Willing to commute up to 30min for work. I by no means want to live in the city! We have two small children so being close to parks, libraries, schools ext is a plus. Any ideas on what stops we should be making during our visit?!
Haven't you asked this question a few times (and been given suggestions) already?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Hello, we'll be visiting NC next weekend to explore and decide if this is where we want to move our family. I'm looking for that small town feel to satisfy my VT roots while still being accessible to the city for my NY native hubby. Willing to commute up to 30min for work. I by no means want to live in the city! We have two small children so being close to parks, libraries, schools ext is a plus. Any ideas on what stops we should be making during our visit?!
After reading you second post I think you would be better off in NJ.
Close to City
Close to ocean
Close to mountains (well, big hills)
Great schools
great food

Negatives
high taxes
lots of people

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Is there a small town outside of raliegh with that natural beauty I'm looking for? I also have 2 young children so saftey & family friendly are also priorities.
Saxapahaw.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Saxapa...-Carolina.html

Saxapahaw Rivermill Home Page

Saxapahaw General Store

Saxapahaw, N.C., Middle of Somewhere, Becomes a Draw - NYTimes.com

Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Union County, NC. It's kind of a wierd mix of suburbia and country and a short commute to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina