Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
So basically you don't respect anyone that disagrees with your view of the world.
You can't just live and let live, you have to bend everyone to your way of thinking by demeaning them.
I'm not following the back and forth, but... "live and let live" in this instance
would be either voting against the amendment or perhaps sitting it out.

Did you do either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM

4,606 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Meanwhile, Judaism continues to progress by leaps in bounds over same-sex issues. The major Conservative Judaism movement has now formally endorsed blessing gay marriages. Reform and Reconstructionist Judaism already bless same-sex marriages. This is a huge development that will add to the growing pro-equality movement amongst religious Americans.

The Conservative branch of American Judaism has formally approved same-sex marriage ceremonies, nearly six years after lifting a ban on ordaining gays and lesbians.

The Committee on Jewish Law and Standards issued the ruling Thursday on a 13-0 vote with one abstention, said Rabbi Elliot Dorff, the committee chairman. The panel of scholars approved two model wedding ceremonies and guidelines for a same-sex divorce. Rabbis can adapt the marriage ceremonies for the couples.

"We acknowledge that these partnerships are distinct from those discussed in the Talmud as 'according to the law of Moses and Israel,' but we celebrate them with the same sense of holiness and joy as that expressed in heterosexual marriages," the legal opinion states.

Read more: Conservative Jews approve gay wedding guidelines | Fox News

Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM

4,606 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
So basically you don't respect anyone that disagrees with your view of the world. You can't just live and let live, you have to bend everyone to your way of thinking by demeaning them.
I don't respect people who would use their religion (or anything else) to deny people their rights. Live and let live means nothing forcing personal religious beliefs into law, politics, into other unwilling peoples' lives. Live and let live means I let people determine what the pursuit of happiness means for them and don't use fundamentalist religion to try to force others to comply with my beliefs. So, in essence, live and let live does not mean tolerating people who misuse their religion to discriminate against others.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Meanwhile, Judaism continues to progress by leaps in bounds over same-sex issues. The major Conservative Judaism movement has now formally endorsed blessing gay marriages. Reform and Reconstructionist Judaism already bless same-sex marriages. This is a huge development that will add to the growing pro-equality movement amongst religious Americans.

The Conservative branch of American Judaism has formally approved same-sex marriage ceremonies, nearly six years after lifting a ban on ordaining gays and lesbians.

The Committee on Jewish Law and Standards issued the ruling Thursday on a 13-0 vote with one abstention, said Rabbi Elliot Dorff, the committee chairman. The panel of scholars approved two model wedding ceremonies and guidelines for a same-sex divorce. Rabbis can adapt the marriage ceremonies for the couples.

"We acknowledge that these partnerships are distinct from those discussed in the Talmud as 'according to the law of Moses and Israel,' but we celebrate them with the same sense of holiness and joy as that expressed in heterosexual marriages," the legal opinion states.

Read more: Conservative Jews approve gay wedding guidelines | Fox News
This is really awesome news to me, thanks for sharing!

Once people begin to understand that the human Spirit is neither specifically male or female, only then will "they" learn to accept others as they expect others to accept themselves.

WE ARE ALL ONE!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
Regardless of all the posters who insist that it's their "beliefs" that guide them to deny rights to gays....gay marriage will eventually become a reality, and then you will just have to get over it.
This is no different than any other civil rights movement in the past, everyone used the Bible to justify discrimination....and the war for equal rights has ALWAYS been won.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Regardless of all the posters who insist that it's their "beliefs" that guide them to deny rights to gays....gay marriage will eventually become a reality, and then you will just have to get over it.
This is no different than any other civil rights movement in the past, everyone used the Bible to justify discrimination....and the war for equal rights has ALWAYS been won.
Yep, just like the ignorant bigots that opposed integration, these bigots will see their ignorance and hate overruled by reason and fairness.

Won't change their ignorant views they cleave to with such tenacity, but it will sure as hell shut them the f*** up, at least when it comes to deciding for others.

After all we still have ignorant racist bigots but equal rights laws have certainly pulled their teeth.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 AM

40 posts, read 60,778 times
I've been wondering...
It seems to me that the amendment is Utterly Unconstitutional; that it Cannot be defended either legally, morally or sensibly in any way.
If that is truly the case, I can only assume that it will soon be challenged in court, yet I've heard nothing about that.
But it seems to me, that if it Were challenged, the court(s) would have to address its unconstitutionality--and while doing that, they would be forced to address the law that already existed, and find That law to be unconstitutional as well--and they would also strike That law.
It might be, that the people who supported the amendment might have sawed off the very tree limb they were standing on.
Perhaps the movement against the amendment will gather steam when those who supported it realize that the amendment restricts Their Own freedoms, as well, that it was incredibly poorly written, that the originator of the amendment was eventually Against it, (after all the changes that were made), and that the only people who will benefit from it are lawyers and insurance companies.

On a personal note, it seems that every aspect of the economy of NC will be impacted negatively, from loss of potential income from outside entities, businesses not moving to NC, tourism, etc.

I was just wondering if anyone could please clue me as to any solid Legal movements against it.
THANKS!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
^ wannatour, while I'm not aware of any specifics actions or plans to contest this law, I do know that here in Forsyth County (and some other places across the state), a number of gay couples went to the courthouse shortly after the amendment passed to apply for a marriage license. Of course they were turned down. I don't know if this was intended to be purely a protest, or whether it was the first step in a potential lawsuit. I agree that this amendment is on very shaky legal standing, especially in light of recent decisions against DOMA.

Also, the wording of the amendment really has me scratching my head, as it's really quite ambiguous. What is a "domestic union" anyway? Would adoption not be considered a domestic union, and if so, did we just outlaw adoptions? One could make that argument, it seems.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 AM

351 posts, read 632,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Maybe. But not anytime soon.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 AM

351 posts, read 632,901 times
May I ask an honest question as kindly as I can possibly do so? Please read this as if I'm talking quietly and respectfully.

Civil unions or marriages for gay couples. Should the same rationale be used for siblings being married or to justify polygamy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina