Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
And your point is?
Orange county does not have some policy of asking for voter IDs. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Ballot stuffing? What does ID do to stop that practice? You were the one who said you had research to support your point but clearly you don't!
No, I told you to go google it yourself.

I don't feel it is necessary for me to spoon feed you the facts - THEY ARE WELL DOCUMENTED>

I don't appreciate your trying to bait me. That is like the kid in high school who doesn't have his research paper done and so challenges a teacher in another class to "prove" something so the teacher pulls out citations the kid can then copy to slap his paper together.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I first registered in 1969 when the state of NJ lowered the age to vote in state & local elections. I went to the municipal building & told them my name & address. I was asked about party affiliation & claimed Independent & signed my name. I never had a picture on a drivers license until 5 years ago, when the grandfather clause on that was eliminated because of the DC sniper. I also never had a voter ID card when I lived in South Jersey. When you registered, you signed a book. That book was at the poll. When you went to vote, you went to a table based on the 1st letter of your last name.. You signed a form & that form was then compared to your signature in the book. As long as it matched, you got a ticket to stand in line to vote. That ticket was then given to a poll worker before entering the booth.
I would find it totally legitimate to validate a person's registration and right to vote if a signature and voter's registration card were presented.

I personally do not feel a photo ID is necessary - NOT IF SOME OTHER METHOD IS AVAILABLE TO ASSURE VALIDITY.

However, I think the photo ID objections are pushing credibility to the limits.

If I were a legislator, I would present a bill that allows several methods for validating someone's identity at the polling place. I think a signature and a registration card is excellent; I think a photo ID is excellent; I think other things such as signature and military ID would work.

I would personally not require a photo ID as the only accepted method to prove identity.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, I told you to go google it yourself.

I don't feel it is necessary for me to spoon feed you the facts - THEY ARE WELL DOCUMENTED>

I don't appreciate your trying to bait me. That is like the kid in high school who doesn't have his research paper done and so challenges a teacher in another class to "prove" something so the teacher pulls out citations the kid can then copy to slap his paper together.
There were tons of recounts and lawsuits during Nixon/JFK. The only results changed because of it was Hawaii, where it was discovered the Kennedy votes were UNDER-counted. Of course, there is a well documented history of fraud with the political machines in Chicago, Louisiana and other places. There is also a well documented history of voter suppression, particularly in Southern states, particularly of minorities by the Dixiecrat political machines, who are the political predecessors of today's GOP. THIS IS WELL DOCUMENTED.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I am a registered Republican and I am offended at your assertion.

And I would like to know WHY, other than being somehow poisoned by the media and some talking heads, that you or anyone else would think this is some big REPUBLICAN conspiracy to keep people from voting?

My past research demonstrates that voter fraud has almost almost been perpetrated by registered DEMOCRATS and in precincts that were heavily represented with DEMOCRAT voters.

So if anyone wants to throw an election, let's start talking about what history has shown with what party was perpetrating it.

OKAY?
I'm just asking for some proof of your "past research" but it doesn't appear that is forthcoming!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Honest question: how is somebody who doesn't have id able to register to vote in the first place?
In North Carolina, you fill out a form with information including SS number.

Honest question: Do you live in North Carolina, and if not why do you care so much about how we run our state?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
In North Carolina, you fill out a form with information including SS number.

Honest question: Do you live in North Carolina, and if not why do you care so much about how we run our state?
A. This is a nationwide issue and
B. I'm just playing around on my phone

(p.s.- your argument still has no merit)

Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Quote:

In other words, it's obvious that the democrats have an axe to grind here. Some of us aren't stupid enough to fall for it.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Ok, so in other words you really have no stake in North Carolina, and just want to tell us what to do because it effects you tangentially. In North Carolina I can assure you that we have to live with the outcome of our state elections far more then you do and so we tend to have a strong interest in making sure they are fair and legitimate. If you look over this state forum I am sure you can find plenty of threads where there is resentment against out of state people telling us what to do. I am also sure your state has its own elections so why not focus on them rather then telling us how to run ours?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
In other words, it's obvious that the democrats have an axe to grind here. Some of us aren't stupid enough to fall for it.
So you basically have no clue as to how things are done here and are trying to cover for yourself. Let me put it this way. In order to register to vote and each time you receive a ballot in North Carolina you have to sign a sworn statement that you are who you say you are and the information is accurate. Lying on this is a felony IIRC. That is a fair amount of protection, if someone is already willing to commit a felony to vote illegally, why do you think a voter ID law would stop them? Especially considering ID laws don't even stop teens from getting a fake to go clubbing.

(PS, again you don't live hear no one cares what or what you don't fall for.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina