Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,723 times

Advertisements

On a national scale, what landmark, or geographic feature is so popular that people know you are speaking of North Carolina?
My thoughts: (1) The Outer Banks (2) Raleigh/Durham. Perhaps there are others, but those two are the ones that come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
We also have the most used National Park in America and the Blue Ridge Parkway is pretty well know in America.

http://www.stateparks.com/north_caro...tinations.html

Then there is the highest point in Eastern America, Mt. Mitchell.

Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Three presidents were born here and two still claim us. Andrew Johnson and James K. Polk. Although a person in the house where he was born says Andrew Jackson was born in North Carolina, he preferred to say he was born in South Carolina. They can have him.

We are one of the few states that has certain precious stones such as emerald and aquamarine.

There is a song about the intersection of I-77 and I-85. LOL

The New River in Ashe County flows North. That is something you will want to see. It looks like it is flowing backwards.

And let us not forget the largest home in America, Biltmore House. Wonder if that is still true. People are really building big houses all over America.

Grandfather Mountain is one of the oldest mountains in the world, or so we have been told.

Some of our American Indians escaped the Trail of Tears and hid out in the mountains. They live on a reservation called Cherokee.

Brevard is home to many art forms such as music and oil painting.

Last edited by NCN; 12-05-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
The Dean Dome!

I would also add Cameron Indoor Stadium, but most people think that's in New Jersey.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I think North Carolina must be popular topic up north due to the huge migration to this state had within last decade.

I like to add a few Asheville (but not popular with firefox lol it's wanting to spell check it.lol urgh)is popular for it beauty and President and first Lady stayed a few times.

High Point is known for its Furniture Market it has been nicknamed the Bryant Park of the south.

Wilmington is known for filming.

Charlotte was put in nation mind for hosting the DNC.

Unfortunately Amendment One created a lot of negative views of this state as it was joked about nationally.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
NC is probably best known nationally for the Outer Banks and Tobacco Road sports.

I think NC still suffers nationally from sterotypes that the whole state is a bunch of backwoods rednecks who smoke, drink moonshine and go to KKK rallies.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
NC is probably best known nationally for the Outer Banks and Tobacco Road sports.

I think NC still suffers nationally from sterotypes that the whole state is a bunch of backwoods rednecks who smoke, drink moonshine and go to KKK rallies.
Anyone who thinks that is just showing their ignorance. There are people in the United States who are so ignorant that they think that about the entire South. I don't think ignorant people like that count very much. They are probably ignorant about many other things too.

I would hope this thread is about people who actually know something. If what you mention is the only thing they know about North Carolina they have left out 1/2 the state. North Carolina goes from Murphy to Manteo and beyond.

The Western part of North Carolina has always performed higher on scholastic tests and achievement than the Eastern part. People who have only traveled I-95 have no idea who this state really is.

Last edited by NCN; 12-05-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
On a national scale, what landmark, or geographic feature is so popular that people know you are speaking of North Carolina?
The Bull.

Bull Durham - Throw it at the Bull - YouTube

Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
My thoughts: (1) The Outer Banks (2) Raleigh/Durham. Perhaps there are others, but those two are the ones that come to mind.
I think Charlotte is a better-known city than the Raleigh/Durham area, particularly since the Democratic convention. For years I've heard "Charlotte" without "NC" after it, but many people still think "Raleigh/Durham" is one city (note your own usage! ) if they've heard of it at all. More likely, they've been through the airport (the only thing that is literally called "Raleigh/Durham") but you still see "Raleigh, NC" or "Durham, NC", not just the city names, in most nationwide uses.

Even in the 1980s, Charlotte was one of the 50 largest cities in the US, when Raleigh wasn't even in the top 100. Of course back then, what people in other places most associated with NC was Jesse Helms

Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,351,883 times
I'd go with the coast and the mountains. The cities and towns of this state (including Charlotte) really don't register much in the minds of the average American. I will say this much though. Charlotte and the Triangle are impressive to most visitors (when they actually do decide to visit those areas). However, most folks just don't think about NC cities the way how they think about Charleston, SC for example. Besides, probably 20-30% of Americans think that Charlotte is in SC (usually thinking that Charleston and Charlotte are the same cities).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-05-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Biltmore Estate, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina