Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 05:31 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
It's interesting how you want to put south end in the mix. That wouldn't go as well as you think. If you expand the area. I would also expand the area to include Hillsboro St and Cameron Village areas. Both connected to DT Raleigh. As south end is connected to uptown.
ERROR. I didn't add South End into the mix, I said South End alone has more construction going on than Downtown Raleigh, and unless Hillsboro St. and Cameron Village have more construction happening than Downtown Raleigh as well, this is completely irrelevant as that means South End alone has more construction going on than either of those areas as well.

Also, "South End" could easily be replaced with "Uptown" and Uptown's construction alone still surpasses anything happening in Downtown Raleigh, Hillsboro St., or Cameron Village. Sorry you got confused.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:33 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,273 times
My son spent most of his last 2 years at State on Centennial Campus. They have a lot more room to grown there.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
ERROR. I didn't add South End into the mix, I said South End alone has more construction going on than Downtown Raleigh, and unless Hillsboro St. and Cameron Village have more construction happening than Downtown Raleigh as well, this is completely irrelevant as that means South End alone has more construction going on than either of those areas as well.

Also, "South End" could easily be replaced with "Uptown" and Uptown's construction alone still surpasses anything happening in Downtown Raleigh, Hillsboro St., or Cameron Village. Sorry you got confused.
You are adding nothing to the conversation as usual. I would love to see your list. Pardon me if I don't just take your word for it. So let me make sure I'm understanding you. You are saying there area over 40 multi million dollar projects going on in south end? Finished in the last 12 months or moving forward in the next 12 months?
Bold talk! You need to back that up with some evidence

Old 09-28-2014, 06:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times

Is this the boundary we're going by for Raleigh?

That looks to be by far th most common map of downtown Raleigh.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:20 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Is this the boundary we're going by for Raleigh?

That looks to be by far th most common map of downtown Raleigh.
Yes

Old 09-28-2014, 06:53 PM

Charlotte is Happy

Videos | Charlotte Center City & Uptown Charlotte

There are 4 good videos about uptown.

Last edited by CLT1985; 09-28-2014 at 07:05 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 PM

Raleigh does not have wards but Districts.

Capital District (LOL)
Fayetteville Street District (Back bone)
Glenwood South District
Moore Square
Warehouse District (South End type of place)

Charlotte has wards that all meet at Tryon & Trade.

Raleigh is Long & Charlotte more of a square layout

Raleigh does not have a freeway to circle its downtown (could be a plus if downtown need to expand.

Charlotte want to cover I277 between uptown to join South End. The reason there is a I277 loop is because of US74 (Independence Blvd). It one of the highest traffic count road in the state. You don't want all that traffic on your uptown streets. I have see city with freeways in the downtown and it does not stop the downtown from being on both sides of the freeway.

So what I am getting at is Charlotte and Raleigh are not much a like in their layout so I think we get confuse in our post what is downtown or uptown.

Center City Partners now includes South End, Midtown and Elizabeth in some of their of uptown Charlotte reports.. If you live here in Charlotte you could understand why.

Like-wise Raleigh has some close in neighborhoods it might want to claim in the future.

In 1985 Charlotte downtown did not look as good as downtown Raleigh. Here comes Hugh McCall and Ed Crutchfield, and off to the races. Charlotte just out built Raleigh in the last 29 years and it has not stop.
In 1985 it was downtown Charlotte.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
The 277 loop wasn't necessary. The Southern portion is going to be either capped or, what I prefer, is upgrade the Northern Portion to be able to handle the additional traffic. It would be much less expensive I would imagine.

And Charlotte was a horrible place for many many years as a result of the rebuilding of uptown. Long term it probably was worth it. The past few decades, however, was dreadful.

We also have our own government district, it's even branded as the go ernment district and it also isn't the most dazzling place either.

Charlotte has groups that represent several areas. Center City partners represent Uptown, Elizabeth/Midtown & SouthEnd. University City has University City Partners, etc. they'll always include reports on those areas because they are paid by the city to represent these areas and recruit business to these areas.

I don't think the warehouse district can be compared to SouthEnd. SouthEnd has a population of 25,000 has Publix under construction, Lowes, Harris Teeter going under construction, several office buildings, TOD (transit oriented development) an urban village beig built with lots of retail, etc. SouthEnds largest project has not yet been announced and will really add to the density of SouthEnd. The Lowes, Publix & Harris Teeter village are all Urban developments with apartments included just like Target, BestBuy Trader Joes and the other tenants at Metropolitan.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:47 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times
The Raleigh forum has more posts than the Charlotte forum. So there's that.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:03 AM

I said type not equal. Raleigh Warehouse District could fit into South end and does not have the population or development I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina