Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...persons per square mile in the overall city limits. Charlotte's is simply lower and therefore more sprawled than other cities.
Lower population density does not equal sprawl. Sprawl is about development of previously undeveloped land...there exists both high and low density sprawl.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Lower population density does not equal sprawl. Sprawl is about development of previously undeveloped land...there exists both high and low density sprawl.
I think it depends on one's definition. As discussed earlier in the thread, some would say that an area is more sprawled if the density is lower. But, then again, everyone is going to have a different take on it.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think this definition is more accurate. If we follow this definition, I wonder why there is sucha negative connotation to sprawl.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Well, the Census totals will be here soon, where do you think Charlotte and Raleigh will stand? Here my estimate:
City/MSA/CSA
Charlotte 712,000/1,725,000/2,450,000
Raleigh 415,000/1,200,000/1,750,000

I'm not sure when the next GDP data will be released. I expect Charlotte to crack $120 billion after the current release, and Raleigh-Durham to get to $90 billion.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Well, the Census totals will be here soon, where do you think Charlotte and Raleigh will stand? Here my estimate:
City/MSA/CSA
Charlotte 712,000/1,725,000/2,450,000
Raleigh 415,000/1,200,000/1,750,000

I'm not sure when the next GDP data will be released. I expect Charlotte to crack $120 billion after the current release, and Raleigh-Durham to get to $90 billion.
I think Census numbers will be lower than expected because of participation in the process is never what they want it to be.

I will predict that the Census will eventually re-unite Raleigh and Durham MSA's and retool the CSA to include some other counties along the periphery. But, who knows when that will happen?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think Census numbers will be lower than expected because of participation in the process is never what they want it to be.

I will predict that the Census will eventually re-unite Raleigh and Durham MSA's and retool the CSA to include some other counties along the periphery. But, who knows when that will happen?
I really hope the Raleigh and Durham MSAs reunite. I think it was erroneous to separate them. I'm not sure what counties would be added, outside of Durham, Wake, Orange, and Chatham counties I don't know. Vance maybe?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 PM

123 posts, read 300,779 times
Beautiful pics....thanks for sharing!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I really hope the Raleigh and Durham MSAs reunite. I think it was erroneous to separate them. I'm not sure what counties would be added, outside of Durham, Wake, Orange, and Chatham counties I don't know. Vance maybe?
A future Raleigh/Durham MSA might be:
Wake, Durham, Orange, Johnston, Chatham, Person and Franklin Counties. This is the combination of the 4 currently in Durham's. and the 3 that are in Raleigh's.
The future CSA might include: Lee, Harnett and Granville. It might also include Vance County. It currently only adds Harnett to the two MSAs.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:07 AM

I have seen one poster that believes DMAs more accurately reflects the true population of a ciity/urban area.As I was browsing another thread concerning DMAs I noticed that the Charlotte DMA and the Raleigh-Durham DMAs are relatively close. Let's analyze this data to see how the two compare.

Charlotte ranked 24th and Raleigh DMA ranked 26th. I decided to look deeper into this to figure out the actual population. Both DMAs include 22 counties each. the Charlotte DMA also includes the Unifour MSA, Raleigh-Durham DMA also includes the Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, and Fayetteville MSAs. After counting the population of the counties Charlotte DMA had a population of 2,933,057 and Raleigh-Durham had a DMA population of 2,859,950. The two are actually relatively close concerning population. Let's look at GDP.

Since we can only look at MSAs and not the micro areas, which both have, this will be semi-accurate estimate at best.
Charlotte DMA GDP: $130.1Billion
Raleigh-Durham DMA GDP: $110.5Billion
In this case, the GDP is further than the population.

My conclusion, if we were to compare the two primary NC cities/regions to another state, let's look at Texas. I would say Raleigh=DFW, and Charlotte=Houston. The RDU area is multinodal and includes the military installation of Fayetteville, and some smaller MSAs of Rocky Mount and Goldsboro, but mainly Raleigh, Durham, and Fayetteville. In the same way DFW is Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, and Plano. Whereas Charlotte nearly dominates its area, with Hickory having some influence. I would say similar to how Houston dominates, with Galvenston having some sway.

What do y'all think?

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I have seen one poster that believes DMAs more accurately reflects the true population of a ciity/urban area.As I was browsing another thread concerning DMAs I noticed that the Charlotte DMA and the Raleigh-Durham DMAs are relatively close. Let's analyze this data to see how the two compare.

Charlotte ranked 24th and Raleigh DMA ranked 26th. I decided to look deeper into this to figure out the actual population. Both DMAs include 22 counties each. the Charlotte DMA also includes the Unifour MSA, Raleigh-Durham DMA also includes the Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, and Fayetteville MSAs. After counting the population of the counties Charlotte DMA had a population of 2,933,057 and Raleigh-Durham had a DMA population of 2,859,950. The two are actually relatively close concerning population. Let's look at GDP.

Since we can only look at MSAs and not the micro areas, which both have, this will be semi-accurate estimate at best.
Charlotte DMA GDP: $130.1Billion
Raleigh-Durham DMA GDP: $110.5Billion
In this case, the GDP is further than the population.

My conclusion, if we were to compare the two primary NC cities/regions to another state, let's look at Texas. I would say Raleigh=DFW, and Charlotte=Houston. The RDU area is multinodal and includes the military installation of Fayetteville, and some smaller MSAs of Rocky Mount and Goldsboro, but mainly Raleigh, Durham, and Fayetteville. In the same way DFW is Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, and Plano. Whereas Charlotte nearly dominates its area, with Hickory having some influence. I would say similar to how Houston dominates, with Galvenston having some sway.

What do y'all think?
I think you deserve a rep point.
As for the Triangle, the inclusion of Fayetteville is an interesting topic. Already, Fayetteville is part of the TV market. All affiliates in the Triangle cover Fayetteville as a matter of course. Years ago, I worked with a guy in Raleigh who commuted from Fayetteville daily. Even on the Triangle forum, there are regular postings asking where to live between Raleigh and Fayetteville to accommodate commutes to both cities by dual income couples. Southern Wake County has been growing rapidly and is reducing the gap between the two cities. The development of Johnston County has exploded as well. People from Fayetteville come to Raleigh all the time for shopping and entertainment. I could go on and on. That all said though, I don't yet feel like Fayetteville is part of the Triangle. But, with the expansion of development to Raleigh's south, it's probably just a matter of time. A likely scenario is that Fayetteville eventually becomes a part of the CSA after the Census Bureau re-unites the Raleigh and Durham MSA's and rethinks the entire Triangle statistic strategy. The widening of US-1 south from Raleigh toward the Sandhills has already pushed development in places like Sanford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina