Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:37 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
So basically you're not mature enough to objectively discuss such a sensitive topic?

Eta: When you can prove that you understand growth rates and the importance of professional sports for cities, and that Carolina Ale House is just another restaurant, I'll pretend to care that no one else has posted about race and unemployment discrepancies itt.
Oh stop it. I am African American and have worked in corporate America for 25+ years. Most people get jobs through networking or people they know. It's just flat out easier for unqualified or lesser qualified white people to get similar jobs at all levels in any industry. I have seen it done too many damn times to count and typically most black people bite their tongues and march on. I have worked with white people who majored in Drama, English, etc employed as computer scientist and engineers...not to say these people were ineffective employees but they were afforded many opportunities, time to train and take courses to acquire skill sets. If you are black that ain't happening, your degree, experience, etc best be solid.

So take your sensitive and shove it because these practices are still very prevalent. I wish there were honest methods/metrics to track how skewed the hiring and promotion process can be.

Anyway, it's best to omit that subject matter from the discussion if you're not willing to do a deep dive as to the reasons why. There are white people who have vowed to never work with or live near black people, period, and have that luxury. I'll just pretend that doesn't happen while you compile all these numbers.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:51 AM

489 posts, read 911,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Oh stop it. I am African American and have worked in corporate America for 25+ years. Most people get jobs through networking or people they know. It's just flat out easier for unqualified or lesser qualified white people to get similar jobs at all levels in any industry. I have seen it done too many damn times to count and typically most black people bite their tongues and march on. I have worked with white people who majored in Drama, English, etc employed as computer scientist and engineers...not to say these people were ineffective employees but they were afforded many opportunities, time to train and take courses to acquire skill sets. If you are black that ain't happening, your degree, experience, etc best be solid.

So take your sensitive and shove it because these practices are still very prevalent. I wish there were honest methods/metrics to track how skewed the hiring and promotion process can be.

Anyway, it's best to omit that subject matter from the discussion if you're not willing to do a deep dive as to the reasons why. There are white people who have vowed to never work with or live near black people, period, and have that luxury. I'll just pretend that doesn't happen while you compile all these numbers.
That has nothing to do with anything posted. Simply blacks in NC = higher unemployment rates in NC. Charlotte = more blacks than Raleigh. Mountain out of mole hill.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:26 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
That has nothing to do with anything posted. Simply blacks in NC = higher unemployment rates in NC. Charlotte = more blacks than Raleigh. Mountain out of mole hill.
I would love to hear what the rest of the guys think. tdm51,485,cholo,1985,urban?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:47 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
We have lost our textile plants, our furniture plants to be move out of this county. Our congress has done nothing to make it so America companies would want to stay here and hire America worker. It is funny that we have foreign companies building plants in the US and hiring America worker. I know people how have lost their jobs and due to their age it takes a long time to find a job at 1/2 what they were making.

As long as we allow companies to hire illegals to do jobs "Americans want do" and put American workers on welfare and food stamps we will have a problem. This not a black or white problem, this an American problem.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
We have lost our textile plants, our furniture plants to be move out of this county. Our congress has done nothing to make it so America companies would want to stay here and hire America worker. It is funny that we have foreign companies building plants in the US and hiring America worker. I know people how have lost their jobs and due to their age it takes a long time to find a job at 1/2 what they were making.

As long as we allow companies to hire illegals to do jobs "Americans want do" and put American workers on welfare and food stamps we will have a problem. This not a black or white problem, this an American problem.
Well said sir. +1

100% CORRECT!!!!

Old 02-06-2015, 06:01 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
SouthEnd web site.

Business Services | South End Charlotte

Old 02-06-2015, 06:32 AM

743 posts, read 826,419 times
I would also add that our schools have not helped by their dropping many programs like auto tech among others. While we definitely need more students prepared for stem careers & college educated in general but the middle skills gap in this country also needs to be addressed. We also need more people to acquire trades & other technical skills

Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 AM

363 posts, read 445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I would love to hear what the rest of the guys think. tdm51,485,cholo,1985,urban?
To answer, no, I do not agree with what was posted. Not a conversation I really want to jump in though. Not really something I feel I can argue effectively. I think pinning anything on race is pretty much a non-starter. Whatever the case may be, blaming unemployment on black people isn't very productive. I'd rather focus on ways to get those people into jobs. Everyone deserves equal opportunity.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:40 AM

363 posts, read 445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
I would also add that our schools have not helped by their dropping many programs like auto tech among others. While we definitely need more students prepared for stem careers & college educated in general but the middle skills gap in this country also needs to be addressed. We also need more people to acquire trades & other technical skills
I couldn't agree more!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:04 AM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
I couldn't agree more!
This is why I think more people need to go to community college as opposed to either sticking with just a high school diploma or striving for a 4-year degree. Community colleges fill the niche of the "middle skills" market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina