Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 AM

4,625 posts, read 6,469,591 times

Advertisements

Yes, center city living is strongly correlated to age, family composition, age/number of children, income, and lifestyle. However, nationally, we are seeing a noticeable growth in center city populations that is unlikely to reverse anytime soon. At the same time, we are seeing huge demographic and lifestyle changes that are reinforcing the urban core population growth. For instance, while many people obviously continue to marry and have multiple children, overall there has been a dramatic increase in single people who have no children. Many social scientists believe that the trend toward large numbers of people not marrying longterm or permanently will continue. At the same time, birthrrates have plummeted. Thus, there is a large and growing number of people who are longterm or permanently single with no children or one child. Additionally, we are seeing the number of affluent people with children moving to the center city increase. For instance, DC Public Schools is seeing its first major increase in school enrollment in decades. The city is seen as alluring, exciting, diverse, green, and convenient to many in a way it has not in many years.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,522,120 times
I have seen this question on many forums asked by many posters. But never a good clear answer. Who are these 20somethings straight out of school. Possibly with student loan debt equal to a mortgage who can afford these rental prices? Crescent Cameron Village studio-one bedroom 1105-1385. One good thing is at those prices they will ride the bus, walk, or bike. No money left for a car.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,411,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I have seen this question on many forums asked by many posters. But never a good clear answer. Who are these 20somethings straight out of school. Possibly with student loan debt equal to a mortgage who can afford these rental prices? Crescent Cameron Village studio-one bedroom 1105-1385. One good thing is at those prices they will ride the bus, walk, or bike. No money left for a car.
People can live together. A combined income of 70,000 can afford that rent and a new car.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
People can live together. A combined income of 70,000 can afford that rent and a new car.
I wonder one thing? Of all the people who promote urban living on this thread how many really live it. A truly urban lifestyle. No car, roommates as you suggested. Use public transit and things such as bike share as primary transportation?

Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You have a point. Didn't think about two young people living together. To be honest I seriously considered moving DT Raleigh. I could afford it but those prices gave me a headache! Way too much money.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,411,092 times
Quote:
I wonder one thing? Of all the people who promote urban living on this thread how many really live it. A truly urban lifestyle. No car, roommates as you suggested. Use public transit and things such as bike share as primary transportation?
I only use car to get to my job outside of Meck County. And I actually date someone who prefers urban living despite us both having cars. We would never live in a place where we couldn't walk to at least get grocerys.

On 4th of July we're gonna meet our other friends at the Light Rail station (they're driving from Mount Airy and other towns) and go watch the fireworks @ Romare Bearden Park that will be shot off from the baseball stadium then we're gonna walk to the movies and watch the 10:45 movie "Tammy"

And as far as how many live an urban lifestyle on here, not many. On the other websites, majority do.

And for us, $900 is a great price for a 1 bedroom. And on top of that, we do have a high car payment. I will go back to university online classes. He has no education.

It just depends on what you want more. He had a 3 bedroom, 1/2 acre nice house for cheaper a few blocks from downtown Lincolnton cheaper than our 1 bed 1 bath we have now.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,972,674 times
I live within biking distance from UNC and bike to work every day. Can easily do my shopping biking home. On rainy days, the busses in Chapel Hill are always on point. The car is more for recreation on the weekends, if I'm meeting up with friends in Durham or Raleigh perhaps.

The place where I live isn't what I'd call aesthetically appealing though. Definitely a budget apartment. Industry nearby, dumpy looking outside. Purely functional while I save up and live alone.

There are relatively nice places I could afford in good locations in Raleigh and Durham but I'm anchored to UNC at the moment. Daily life is urban, but I do end up spending time driving to the other downtowns in the Triangle.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:32 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,372,101 times
Quote:
For many, it's not just about living the urban life 24/7; it's just nice to have it close by when you want it. One of my favorite hobbies is bike riding into uptown via the light rail trail with my son. When the weather is good, we'll do a round-trip bike ride from Scaleybark Station to 7th Street. When the weather turns bad, we'll simply take our bikes onto the train.

While uptown, my son (11 years old) and I have the options of Discovery Place, Imaginon, Romare Bearden Park (he likes to splash in the water fall with other kids), a Knights game, bowling at Epicentre (kids bowl for free during the day on certain days ), a movie at Studio Movie Grill, or Rays Splash Planet's small indoor waterpark. I just have to remember to pack us a dry change of clothing; a wet bike ride back home is something dad will NEVER do again.

I'll admit though, there are a few suburban destinations in Charlotte that my son and I LOVE as well...

Afterburn At Carowinds - YouTube

Rip Roaring Rapids-Carowinds - YouTube

Intimidator Front Seat on-ride HD POV Carowinds - YouTube

U.S. National Whitewater Center - YouTube

Another thing that's often overlooked is Charlotte's relatively short drive from many interesting places. In addition to bike riding through uptown Charlotte on a regular basis, we've also toured downtown Winston, downtown Charleston, downtown Asheville, and downtown Greenville on our bikes (with downtown Greenville being the biggest surprise of them all).

Yes, yes, YES, downtown Greenville (of all places) could teach Charlotte and Raleigh a few lessons on how to build an interesting downtown. Y'all should check it out sometime if you haven't already (that's Greenville, SC for our Raleigh folks who might think I'm talking about NC's Greenville). The last time we were in Greenville (about a month ago), I noticed that B-Cycle has a bike share program there; similar to B-Cycle's Charlotte bike-share.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,102,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yes, yes, YES, downtown Greenville (of all places) could teach Charlotte and Raleigh a few lessons on how to build an interesting downtown. Y'all should check it out sometime if you haven't already (that's Greenville, SC for our Raleigh folks who might think I'm talking about NC's Greenville). The last time we were in Greenville (about a month ago), I noticed that B-Cycle has a bike share program there; similar to B-Cycle's Charlotte bike-share.
Yes, downtown Greenville is often a pleasant surprise for folks who were expecting a "regular" downtown more or less when it's actually one of the most successfully revitalized downtowns for a city its size in the nation, regularly held up as a model of how to get it right in many respects.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 6,469,591 times
Quote:
Which brings up an adjacent issue. Many preexisting poorer and blue collar residents of center cities are no longer able to live there, as their housing is demolished for new, swanky, luxury condos and town homes. Even if poor people can stay in swanky new center city neighborhoods, they often cannot afford the services and stores that are setting up shop in their old neighborhoods. Gentrification has good and bad points, but poor people often are priced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina