Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 04:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,441,554 times

Advertisements

That 10,067 is for all the neighborhoods around Center City and Center City. 5,955 Units under construction and just delivered for Center City Charlotte.

Last edited by CLT1985; 09-06-2014 at 05:22 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 08:01 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times

Tryon Place. The new office tower.

ClearSkyImages has tonsss of great photos of Charlotte monthly. I love love them!

You can see a small part of SouthEnd I. This picture

Uptown Charlotte North Carolina by nylab123, on Flickr[/quote]

Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,518,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Raleigh
Quote:
"A total of 1,103 apartment units are now under construction in the downtown area, according to Karnes Research and the Triangle Apartment Association. Those units are all in Glenwood South or Cameron Village. An additional 1,874 units have been proposed, including several projects in downtown Raleigh."

Downtown area of Raleigh units under construction-1,103
Additional units being proposed (Raleigh including the downtown area)-1,874
RALEIGH: Apartment developer buys land in Raleigh's Blount Street Commons project | Real Estate | NewsObserver.com

Charlotte
Quote:
A new report from research firm Real Data tracked activity in Charlotte’s multifamily market over the past six months and found 10,067 units under construction. Most of the new units are in uptown and in neighborhoods such as South End, SouthPark, NoDa and Elizabeth. An additional 11,003 units have been proposed.

Downtown area of Charlotte units under construction-10,067
Additional units being proposed (Charlotte including the downtown area)-11,003
Charlotte apartment construction surges to all-time high | CharlotteObserver.com
Those Raleigh numbers are kinda old don't you think? About a year and a half old? In comparison to new info for Charlotte. Not going to count every unit. The Skyhouse and Lincoln have over 500 units UC now between them. That's only 2 projects. Come on UrbanCharlotte your cooking again lol. If I add Elan(2 buildings) that's very close to 1000. In 3 projects. I'm asking because are SouthPark,No Da. And Elizabeth close to uptown? I know south end is.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Those Raleigh numbers are kinda old don't you think? About a year and a half old? In comparison to new info for Charlotte. Not going to count every unit. The Skyhouse and Lincoln have over 500 units UC now between them. That's only 2 projects. Come on UrbanCharlotte your cooking again lol. If I add Elan(2 buildings) that's very close to 1000. In 3 projects. I'm asking because are SouthPark,No Da. And Elizabeth close to uptown? I know south end is.
Downtown area AKA center city = Uptown, SouthEnd, NoDa, Elizabeth/Midtown & Plaza.

SouthPark is not center city or downtown area. Even though it's like 5 miles away, it's still not downtown area. And really, he can cook the books all he wants, but Charlottes CBD is far outpacing Raleigh's.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Let me just take this time just to clear this up. Charlotte has tried a few times to copy the success of RTP. First in university research park (later renamed Innovation Park) and also in Kannapolis dubbed the North Carolina Research Campus. Neither have struck the success as RTP. URP has now become its own business district in its own right and is doing quite well as a suburban business district and NCRC is not as prosperous as hoped but still adds some diversification. The point is there is probably not going to be an RTP in Charlotte.

However, the Triangle's bread and butter office park, RTP, is also what has hurt it. The triangle is not as urban and cohesive, I'll use cohesive in a loose definition, as Charlotte. The RTP is suburban and that's why we are now just starting to see the urbanization of Durham and Raleigh. Charlotte started urbanization in the mid to late 70s and accelerated this in the mid 90s thru now. This also has to do with the main employment centers. RTP and Uptown have about the same amount of office space. So naturally you will have most of your amenities near most of your employees and residents.

So while Charlotte may never have an RTP the Triangle may never have a CBD like Charlotte. And I think both regions are ok like that. The growth for both regions and their niche economies has allowed NC to become more recognized that it is.
Your right. Raleigh will probably never have the urban core Charlotte dose. For all the reasons you stated. But DT Raleigh has came along way in just the last 10 years. With the right leadership. Mayor McFarlane we needed her 20 years ago.
The Park did hurt both DT's growth but also made the region as a whole strong. With that as a base both DT's are experiencing exceptional growth. Raleigh more but Durham is no slouch! I honestly like the 2 city system. Both have a different feel. Depending on your mood. DT Chapel Hill is awesome too. Especially because I'm UNC for life. We call it blue heaven. They all give the area it's soul. And make the Triangle a great place.
I do think the multiple city layout here will be great for the future lite rail system. The plan as I know it is to start in Clayton/Garner then Raleigh Cary by the Airport thru the Park to Durham ending in Chapel Hill. I would be interested in you take. You opinions are well respected and on point.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 AM

And here is an older article for Charlottes Uptown/SouthEnd apartment growth (which doesn't include Plaza, NoDa or Midtown which is very much part of our downtown but oh well).

This article was also written before several proposals were announced including Skyhouse II and maybe even Skyhouse I. And before several started construction which also our Skyhouse was not included, I don't believe Graham or Mint were neither for uptown, SouthEnd I'm not sure.

"Nearly 4,000 units will be delivered In uptown & SouthEnd by 2015". That doesn't include the numbers that will be underconstruction. And I believe we're about to get our biggest surge in uptown apartment development (and office tower) and I think we'll get one of our biggest hotel surges.

SouthEnd will show a 110% residential increase (by the end of 2015. That should bring the population of SouthEnd up to 25,500. In Early 2014 it was 19,794. In 2010 it was 17,694.

In 2000, SouthEnd boast a population of 1,000. (anyone want to argue the value of LightRail?

Apartment boom driving uptown Charlotte's population growth - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 09-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Raleigh's downtown area, according to Raleigh Alliance is 3 mile radius. It contained 96,000 residents.

Charlotte in 1 radius is 78,577. In 2 miles 115,521. I'd be curious to know what Charlotte would be at 3 miles. You start cutting into the majority of the Midwood section of Plaza, it includes sedgefield, almost all of Myers Park & Eastover, CommonWealth, Chantilly, Sugar Creek, Druid Hills and smaller neighborhoods. That's from Charlottes Center City Partners.

Charlottes daytime population (workers, visitors, etc) dwarf Raleighs probably by a huge, huge margin.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 09-06-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Downtown area AKA center city = Uptown, SouthEnd, NoDa, Elizabeth/Midtown & Plaza.

SouthPark is not center city or downtown area. Even though it's like 5 miles away, it's still not downtown area. And really, he can cook the books all he wants, but Charlottes CBD is far outpacing Raleigh's.
Charlotte may be outpacing Raleigh. But why cook the books then? Also if I go 5 miles out then I could include North Hills (Midtown)which is experiencing awesome growth. Office tower ground breaking tues. 2 apartments UC. 2 just finished. New hotel recently opened. 2 new towers proposed ,1 hotel proposed,and 4 office buildings also proposed. Not to mention the Wake Forest Rd project. And a few more within 5 mile of DT. Almost forgot. I included none of NCSU Centennial Campus projects. 4or5 that I know of. 1.5 miles from DT.

This conversation started with Charlotte485 making the assertion that Charlotte DT growth was on another level. MUCH greater than DT Raleigh's. I have seen nothing to prove that period! Could it be because it's not true???

Old 09-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Raleigh's downtown area, according to Raleigh Alliance is 3 mile radius. It contained 96,000 residents.

Charlotte in 1 radius is 78,577. In 2 miles 115,521. I'd be curious to know what Charlotte would be at 3 miles. You start cutting into the majority of the Midwood section of Plaza, it includes sedgefield, almost all of Myers Park & Eastover, CommonWealth, Chantilly, Sugar Creek, Druid Hills and smaller neighborhoods. That's from Charlottes Center City Partners.

Charlottes daytime population (workers, visitors, etc) dwarf Raleighs probably by a huge, huge margin.
I'm not sure what the daytime pop has to do with the conversation. When a majority of people here don't work DT???

Old 09-06-2014, 09:49 AM

Oh, I continue to assert Charlottes CBD, which here is 1 mile, center city (downtown area is 2 miles) then the 3 miles out has no name. It just goes by the neighborhood, is on a different level than Raleigh.

Our office workers alone outnumber nearly 3 to 1. Our tourist numbers are double or more of Raleigh's, our hotel room count is probably double. Our population, it could be double to triple (I don't have the stats to Charlottes population 3 miles out which is what Raleigh considers downtown). That starts adding up to way more people which puts it on a different level...

The tallest building there built (and I don't think there are any plans now) is skyhouse. We even get double of that hideous thing. And our population growth (by numbers) will again be double to triple of Raleighs.

That to me sounds on a different scale. You always say "everything there is uptown".... Well, then I would think you would then conclude there is a much larger daytime population, residential, tourist, workers, etc.

Daytime population is important because it counts tourist and the amount of people in the city which adds to the atmosphere, supports retail and makes it more lively. It's like judging Myrtle Beach on its residential figures and assuming it must be a sleepy town. Meanwhile, it's very very active with tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina