Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You might be able to be more informative of our banking industry, but to say we're 2nd largest because if BoA Headquarters is an extremely ignorant thing to say.

I think Charlotte is much more of a Titan in banking than Raleigh is in tech. There is not a single article ever that doesn't mention somewhere "town of bankers" or "bank town" or "what the bankers do after work" or 2nd largest banking center.

There are 75,000 bankers employed. Citi, Bank of America, JP Morgan, Wells Fargo, Citco, Fifth Third, Ally, BB&T, Suntrust, TIAA-cref, & Fiserv are just some of the Financial heavyweights with a large presence here.

Wells Fargo is the largest with 20,000 (more than Wachovia) and expected to have even more major expansion during the next few years.

BoA employs 15,000.
A few things. I live in Charlotte and I'm very familiar with the financial scene in Charlotte and I actually work in financial services. So my comments are not ignorant. Whenever Charlotte is touted as the 2nd largest banking center it is based on assets in management/holding. Hence, why BOA adds to that. It doesn't really take into account the things you mentioned which are true, in addition to other things that Charlotte does i.e. Mass Mutual, LPL Financial, MetLife, Vanguard, TIAA-CREF, among others. I'm not sure why BOA being HQd here making Charlotte the 2nd largest banking center bothers you. It is the truth. If Charlotte were to lose BOA it would not be the 2nd largest banking center, that is also the truth. But BOA won't leave so that is not much of a discussion. Relax a little bit and enjoy the thread. You have no confrontation with me.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:02 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
So, I think this is worth posting because some people care about politics, and this map conveys the difference politically between the Triangle and the rest of the state (including the other cities in the state).

It's a precinct map of the amendment 1 vote. Note how only one metro area in the state voted against it, and only one metro area has a majority of its area voting against. 4 of the 8 counties that voted against were in the Triangle, and 3 of them (Orange, Durham, Wake) had the highest no votes of any counties.

The point being... The Triangle is in the 21st century. Charlotte proper is in the 21ct century. Charlotte's suburbs... are not.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
So, I think this is worth posting because some people care about politics, and this map conveys the difference politically between the Triangle and the rest of the state (including the other cities in the state).

It's a precinct map of the amendment 1 vote. Note how only one metro area in the state voted against it, and only one metro area has a majority of its area voting against. 4 of the 8 counties that voted against were in the Triangle, and 3 of them (Orange, Durham, Wake) had the highest no votes of any counties.

The point being... The Triangle is in the 21st century. Charlotte proper is in the 21ct century. Charlotte's suburbs... are not.
I see what your getting at but I wonder, how are we defining 21st century? The Triangle and suburbs are more progressive in certain respects and the city of Charlotte is as well.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? NCSU is the best university in the state.
NCSU is definitely the best in the Triangle and it is the second best. The best is UNCC !!! #gohardformyalmamater

Old 05-08-2015, 10:33 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
A few things. I live in Charlotte and I'm very familiar with the financial scene in Charlotte and I actually work in financial services. So my comments are not ignorant. Whenever Charlotte is touted as the 2nd largest banking center it is based on assets in management/holding. Hence, why BOA adds to that. It doesn't really take into account the things you mentioned which are true, in addition to other things that Charlotte does i.e. Mass Mutual, LPL Financial, MetLife, Vanguard, TIAA-CREF, among others. I'm not sure why BOA being HQd here making Charlotte the 2nd largest banking center bothers you. It is the truth. If Charlotte were to lose BOA it would not be the 2nd largest banking center, that is also the truth. But BOA won't leave so that is not much of a discussion. Relax a little bit and enjoy the thread. You have no confrontation with me.

Not your comments. The comment that we only have that basically we just have BoA's HQ

Old 05-08-2015, 10:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Using US census Bureau data

2015 population
Project Raleigh at 450,316
Project Charlotte at 833,820

It will take Raleigh at the rate it is going on, 7.35 years to reach 500,000 that will be a 49,684 increase in population from 2015 population. Raleigh is growing by 9,285 people a year.
Charlotte at the rate it is growing in 7.35 year is 987,413. That will be a 153,593 increase in population from 2015 Charlotte population . Charlotte is growing by 20,479 people a year.

It this turn out to be near the numbers in 7.35 years, Charlotte will add 3.09 times more people than Raleigh.

I never see Forbes comparing Raleigh to Charlotte like this. It is always by the city on per cent to its self, which does not tell you anything when comparing Charlotte to Raleigh by actual numbers in population growth..

All those articles by Forbes mean nothing, unless the actual population numbers are given.
Raleigh540 lives and dies by Forbes. What is he going to do as Raleigh increases population and their per cent growth goes down.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Not your comments. The comment that we only have that basically we just have BoA's HQ
As far as Charlotte being the nations second largest financial center is almost 95% due to BOA (that is an arbitrary percentage not factual). I am still looking for the rankings that show this but that data came out a few years ago. But that doesn't take away from what you're saying. It's because of BOA being HQd here that has led the city to diverse the types of industry and other financial companies. I have no doubt in the next decade or two Charlotte will be the financial service hub in the Southeaast of not waaaay more formidable than it is today. But anytime Charlotte is referenced as the second largest banking center it is due to BOA HQd here and the amount of assets that are held here.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:16 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Quote:
If you will look at all the out of states banks and financial companies that have operations in Charlotte, it is impressive.

Here are some of the out of states banks and financial companies

Ally Bank - 750 +
Sun Trust Bank Regional Branch, South park
US Bank Corp https://usbank.taleo.net/careersecti...1&src=DM-10101
Well Fargo over- 23,000
Irongate Home Finance LLC - 125
Citco Fund Services 1,100
MetLife 1,300
TIAA-CREF 3.500
The Vanguard Group 1,200
AXA Equitable 670
Spectra Group 250

s

Old 05-08-2015, 11:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:

I think that highlights what people been saying. Charlotte region, Charlotte dominates in all aspects where as the Triangle region is a multi anchored region.

Some updated shots of CLT from multiple views

Old 05-08-2015, 11:38 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
Big "Aristotle". lol ! Someone seems full of themselves, lol What, was "Big Plato" taken already? Bwaahahaha!!
Raleigh or Charlotte?

Charlotte has it all over Raleigh.

Raleigh is horribly overhyped and horribly overrated. I'm shocked by the number of people on this forum who think a sprawlsville like Cary is the best thing since bananabread with strawberries and whipped cream!

Agreed! And I grew up in Raleigh! I really don't get the appeal. Really, I don't. It is just another in a longlist of suburban-esque locales. Though I understand that people like the "lower" cost of living, I cannot imagine living there again. Unless you are going to college in the Triangle, it doesn't have much appeal beyond that age bracket.

As for Charlotte, it is the next Atlanta ... for better AND for worse. Its growth pattern is straight out of the ATL playbook; this I know for certain because Charlotte has had Atlanta-sized aspirations for the better part of 20years. Jim and Tammy Faye represented only one side of that coin; the other side is being presented now. But for what it is worth, Charlotte is changing and alot of those changes will put it where Atlanta is now.

I cant believe raleigh is on list for best singles, they just had it on the news.
Again. Yeah if you are 18-25 after that not so great.
I heard the dog park is a good place. Hmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina