Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,309,672 times

Advertisements

I know my fellow tar-heels, it's the same silly question. However, this one will be with a different twist. As a proud tar-heel I have recently stumbled upon a book about NC becoming global by an economist from State. Of course we already know these two cities strongly power the state economy but these two cities are also wiping out the image that NC is just a textile and tobacco backwoods place. This is a chance for us tar-heels to comment on the grand Old North State.

Which area would you choose and why? The twist to this poll is state what the area would need to do to get you to move there. I will post economic data about each respective city as well as where to find this data. Feel free to posts pics. Also, what does NC need to do to survive the recession?

P.S. I did not forget about the triad, asheville, or wilmington. Also, Durham is included with Raleigh as I am referring to the triangle. I guess I should have just stated that.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Interesting poll. In terms of my educational background, Raleigh is actually a better fit for me career-wise as my degree is in biology. However, Raleigh doesn't offer all of the amenities that Charlotte does currently that I've come to enjoy. Heck, even Charlotte falls short in some areas as far as the things I want in a city. So I guess I'll vote for the city I currently reside in, while taking absolutely nothing away from the Triangle.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
I am gonna have to think about this one for a while. I find things in Raleigh appealing, as well as in Charlotte (where I live).

And I am not sure that I feel the "image" of this state needs to change . . . but I am not ready to comment about that til I have given this some thought.

Just wanted you to know - interesting topic and I will give this some thought, as I hope others will.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 37,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Interesting poll. In terms of my educational background, Raleigh is actually a better fit for me career-wise as my degree is in biology. However, Raleigh doesn't offer all of the amenities that Charlotte does currently that I've come to enjoy. Heck, even Charlotte falls short in some areas as far as the things I want in a city. So I guess I'll vote for the city I currently reside in, while taking absolutely nothing away from the Triangle.
Where do you think Charlotte falls short?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsync View Post
Where do you think Charlotte falls short?
In this context, I suppose I shouldn't say it "falls short," but rather there are some things that the city naturally doesn't have (or it doesn't provide more options in certain areas) due to its smaller size when compared to cities like Atlanta or DC.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
I can't speak for what Akhenaton might feel is something where Charlotte "falls short" but I can tell you what I personally think Charlotte lacks. We have a really nice small museum (Mint Museum) and I feel it is a good museum, but it can't compare to the really extensive museums wh/ are found in some of the cities of similar size in other cities. For example, Kansas City's Nelson-Atkins museum . . . Also, Charlotte's center core seems strangely disconnected f/ its history - for a city wh/ was founded prior to the Revolutionary War.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I can't speak for what Akhenaton might feel is something where Charlotte "falls short" but I can tell you what I personally think Charlotte lacks. We have a really nice small museum (Mint Museum) and I feel it is a good museum, but it can't compare to the really extensive museums wh/ are found in some of the cities of similar size in other cities. For example, Kansas City's Nelson-Atkins museum . . . Also, Charlotte's center core seems strangely disconnected f/ its history - for a city wh/ was founded prior to the Revolutionary War.
Now, I do believe that the new Mint Museum should be opening soon, either @ the end of the year or some time next year. Hopefully, that new cultural campus will make a huge difference in terms of changing the arts and culture scene in Charlotte. I would vote for Charlotte over Raleigh, but somehow, I'm not allowed to vote, don't know why, but it won't let me vote.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Ok, here we go. Interesting facts about these two regions of NC:
* they account for 67% of the NC population growth from 2000-2007 (693430 total, CLT:350k, RDU: 343k)
*NC GDP in 2006: $379billion, CLT&RDU combined GDP:$190billion. That is about 50% of the state's GDP
* city population/CSA population estimates for 2008: CLT: 687,456/2,338,289 Raleigh:392,552 Durham:223,284 RDU:1,690,557

To summarize this data, the Triangle and Charlotte regions have accounted for 2/3rds of the growth, half of the gdp, and their CSAs account for 44% of the states population.
Individually Charlotte for percentage of growth, gdp, and CSA population equates to 34%, 30%, and 25% respctively. Not to knock Raleigh-Durham, but the significance that Charlotte plays to the economy of NC is very critical and huge. I think it is something that our state and local politicians need to realize in order to develop what could truly be a great gem in NC. If you do the math you can see what the Triangle areas contributes. Both areas are huge economic engines.

If you think the stats from these two regions surprise you, when the Piedmont Triad is added to the mix, you can see how much NC is driven and carried by these three areas and 5 cities.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Ok, here we go. Interesting facts about these two regions of NC:
* they account for 67% of the NC population growth from 2000-2007 (693430 total, CLT:350k, RDU: 343k)
*NC GDP in 2006: $379billion, CLT&RDU combined GDP:$190billion. That is about 50% of the state's GDP
* city population/CSA population estimates for 2008: CLT: 687,456/2,338,289 Raleigh:392,552 Durham:223,284 RDU:1,690,557

To summarize this data, the Triangle and Charlotte regions have accounted for 2/3rds of the growth, half of the gdp, and their CSAs account for 44% of the states population.
Individually Charlotte for percentage of growth, gdp, and CSA population equates to 34%, 30%, and 25% respctively. Not to knock Raleigh-Durham, but the significance that Charlotte plays to the economy of NC is very critical and huge. I think it is something that our state and local politicians need to realize in order to develop what could truly be a great gem in NC. If you do the math you can see what the Triangle areas contributes. Both areas are huge economic engines.

If you think the stats from these two regions surprise you, when the Piedmont Triad is added to the mix, you can see how much NC is driven and carried by these three areas and 5 cities.
That's right not to forget the Triad.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 PM

^It's nothing against the Triad. It is an important area. It is just astounding how these two areas are significant. I think of the Triad as a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina