Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:59 PM

20 posts, read 65,624 times

Advertisements

My friend from Lexington, North Carolina believes in southern hospitality but I heard it's rare to find southern hospitality in North Carolina unlike Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Random Girl View Post
My friend from Lexington, North Carolina believes in southern hospitality but I heard it's rare to find southern hospitality in North Carolina unlike Texas.
I think it's a silly annoying stereotype. The most hospitable towns I've been to are actually northern.

NC is not Mayberry and we're not a Podunk state. "Southern Hospitality" seems like a polite way of calling us Podunk hicks, in my opinion. I live in a large city that is home to one of the top 10 busiest airports in the world. Raleigh, Ashville, Greensboro, Wilmington and Winston also are not podunks. We're like the 10th most populous state and I think we're poised to be 6th or so in a decade.

I know you didn't mean use that phrase as if we're inferior (and I may be the only one to take it as such) but I feel like that phrase is so condescending.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Random Girl View Post
That's OK. It's hard to find good BBQ in Texas, unlike North Carolina.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
I find it odd that anyone would associate hospitality with being "podunk hicks", or otherwise assume that it implies inferiority. IMO good manners and being friendly to strangers are very positive traits that we need more of, and I'm proud to know that NC has plenty of it (and yes, it does still have lots of it). I do think it's becoming more rare in the larger cities as more people move here from other parts of the country. But I find that Southern hospitality is alive and well in most parts of the state.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 AM

978 posts, read 2,053,979 times
I grew up in Raleigh, lived in Rocky Mount and Greenville for a few years, but currently live in the Midwest. Every time I return to Raleigh to visit family, I am shocked at how rude cashiers and people are in general. I guess I was used to it living there, but after moving away, you start to notice things.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 AM

334 posts, read 867,516 times
Remember Raleigh is not a 'Southern town'. It just happens to be located in the south.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:00 AM

21 posts, read 24,145 times
Yankee go home then maybe we can become the southern state we used to be before the northern invasion.....and if hick means a person from the rural south then Im proud to be a hick..what the hell does podunk mean?? Sounds like some word a yank would make up lol

Old 08-31-2015, 06:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Well, that doesn't seem too hospitable.

I still think southern hospitality is alive and well, among southerners. Maybe not all of us, but it still exists and is a treat to experience. I think it has gradually diminished as attitudes have changed over the years, but I don't think n that is a result of people deciding to be mean. I think k it is partly due to groups of people who seem to thrive on complaining and misery.

No matter, it's still alive. It's just getting harDer to find.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
Another dead thread that, after more than two years, has floated back to the top of the forum.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
North Carolina is more southern than Texas IMO, and I feel like most would agree. If anything, we'd have more southern hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina