Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you being deliberately obtuse?
Free to those in need...
and especially to without resources to act in a timely manner.

We're spending a small fortune (that we don't really have, btw) to do X.
Doing Y will cost a fraction of that amount. That's it.

No, you don't have to like it.
There are a lot of things that our taxes get spent on that I don't like or agree with too.
It's still immaterial regardless of what Hyde has done.

Me? Obtuse? It cannot possibly be a shocking revelation to any competent sentient being who has achieved any level of post-adolescent development that not everyone sees the world through the same lens.

Of course, there are many things taxes are wasted on that none of us like.
But, abortion is absolutely one of the most divisive issues.
It is of a hugely different moral magnitude than whether someone commuting by ferry should pay a toll, or if earmarks should be spent to put flowers along the interstates.
To deny that fact is to slap the faces of a great many kind, decent people, call them stupid, and spit on them. It is a tactic used too often, when fact is not available or deemed slanted enough to be used as a tactic to retain power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:44 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
To deny that...
My you do like to conflate...
In any case... if/when you see that denial feel free to pipe up.

Again:
If the dollars involved to help our poorest and similarly distressed citizens effectively exercise
their legal choice are the real objection then there is NO EXCUSE to not have far more effective
sex education and ready access to contraception than we have now.

To be explicitly clear:

Look into why we don't do education and contraception better sometime...
and you'll find those same folks objecting to that as well.

You (and they) can NOT have it both ways.
It just doesn't work.

The right to make a choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.
(which has been the strategy they have been attempting to implement since Hyde)

Old 07-04-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My you do like to conflate...
In any case... if/when you see that denial feel free to pipe up.

Again:
If the dollars involved to help our poorest and similarly distressed citizens effectively exercise
their legal choice are the real objection then there is NO EXCUSE to not have far more effective
sex education and ready access to contraception than we have now.

To be explicitly clear:
Look into why we don't do education and contraception better sometime...
and you'll find those same folks objecting to that as well.

You (and they) can NOT have it both ways.
It just doesn't work.

No, actually, you have most of it wrong, as expected.
Entitlement might play well with voters for the sniveling power hungry elitists, but Entitlement is NOT a component of Freedom and Liberty, which are their own rewards. I concede that such thought is anathema to Big Government worshippers, Red or Blue, but true as truth can be.

And, of course, I can have ANYTHING I want "both ways," as long as I am willing to pay the costs and don't ask you to.

And, having concluded your tutelage (There will be no exam), and to answer the OP and the topic of the thread:
I hate what the Red Elite faction of the ruling class did the other night, just as much as I hate what the Blue Elite faction of the ruling class would do given a chance.
See! I got it "both ways!!!"

Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
No, actually, you have most of it wrong, as expected.
Entitlement might play well with voters for the sniveling power hungry elitists, but Entitlement is NOT a component of Freedom and Liberty, which are their own rewards. I concede that such thought is anathema to Big Government worshippers, Red or Blue, but true as truth can be.

And, of course, I can have ANYTHING I want "both ways," as long as I am willing to pay the costs and don't ask you to.

And, having concluded your tutelage (There will be no exam), and to answer the OP and the topic of the thread:
I hate what the Red Elite faction of the ruling class did the other night, just as much as I hate what the Blue Elite faction of the ruling class would do given a chance.
See! I got it "both ways!!!"
The vast majority of "abortion clinics" also provide health checkups & cancer screening for low income women. Many of those women can not bear children because of age or other reasons. Closing all but one clinic in the state means no checkups & cancer screenings for most of those women. I would certainly feel that the families of all women who die because these Republicans don't think that low income women deserve basic health checks, in their zeal to eliminate abortion facilities, should sue every person in the GA who voted for this measure.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-04-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The vast majority of "abortion clinics" also provide health checkups & cancer screening for low income women. Many of those women can not bear children because of age or other reasons. Closing all but one clinic in the state means no checkups & cancer screenings for most of those women. I would certainly feel that the families of all women who die because these Republicans don't think that low income women deserve basic health checks, in their zeal to eliminate abortion facilities, should sue every person in the GA who voted for this measure.
Yup. So much for caring about women's health.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 PM

???
Health checkups and cancer screenings can only be provided by facilities that also provide abortions?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
???
Health checkups and cancer screenings can only be provided by facilities that also provide abortions?
No, but that's the way it works if you're poor, in this country. Planned Parenthood is the primary place for poor &/or uninsured women to have basic gynecological checkups, which includes pap smears. They pay on a sliding scale that varies with their income. That is the primary purpose of Planned Parenthood, not abortions. The fact that a primary goal of the Republicans is to de-fund & kill Planned Parenthood is disgusting.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 PM

4,606 posts, read 6,429,984 times
The federal courts are gonna have such a great time invalidating the work of this Tea Party legislature.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
The federal courts are gonna have such a great time invalidating the work of this Tea Party legislature.
Yup. That's why I keep saying that they're creating jobs - for lawyers.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:42 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yup. That's why I keep saying that they're creating jobs - for lawyers.
Who are a major financial component of Democratic fundraising. Good job there, guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina