Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 05:55 PM

351 posts, read 693,669 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine in NY and her family are considering moving to NC. My friend is pretty much sold on moving here, but she still lives with her parents and that is not changing any time soon. Her parents are deciding between South Carolina (Sommerville specifically) or North Carolina. They are leaning more towards SC due to retirement laws. However, they are considering NC if the price is right. My friend does not want to move to SC even though it's not really her decision to make. So she wants to know what are the places in NC that are connected to the sewer system (no septic tanks), rural, low crime, low taxes, decent size houses (~2,000 sq ft) are about $200k-250k, and close enough to the city area where stores like Whole Foods can be found as well as other shopping centers. Schools are not an issue since no one is of school age anymore. She'd prefer some place east of the mountain area so it is not too far from me (Wake County). Her parents already looked at Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, and Wake Forest. While they liked the areas and they were close to what they wanted, neither place won over Sommerville SC. ...not rural enough. Her father is incredibly hard to please. He's the kind of guy who makes a decision and stays with it, even if it's not in everyone's best interest. But, he would consider other areas if it fits his list of desirable places to live. He came to Wake county believing everything looked like the city of Raleigh. He left convincing himself that everything he was was too much like Nassau County NY (which it is not. I know this because I lived there recently enough and still visit every year). I, of course would like to see my friend live closer to me, but I'm fine either way. She and her mother can't stand the high humidity. While NC is humid, SC is worse and Sommerville is right by the coast which is of no help for the humidity levels. Besides the retirement, there's a chiropractor that lives in Sommerville they want to move near to. Not sure what the big deal is with that one, but I'll have to go with it.

So my question stands, does anyone know of a nice, quiet, rural, low crime, low traffic, and a low tax area that is connected to a sewer system near a busier area or city?

Last edited by Azile; 08-10-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 10:45 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
So my question stands, does anyone know of a nice, quiet, rural, low crime, low traffic, and a low tax area that is connected to a sewer system near a busier area or city?
Your friend's requirements are a little to non-specific for a good response, and some of her wants are contradictory. For example, if one is connected to a sewer system, one is not really in a rural area. The lots are likely to be 1/3 acre or less.

If you check where the Whole Foods are located, they are in the urbanized areas: Select a Store | Whole Foods Market

I'd suggest around Greensboro or Winston-Salem, as the real estate is less expensive than in the Triangle. Perhaps the Yadkin Valley area, or going toward Mount Airy.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 AM

Get this... father wants rural, mother says she wants rural but is happy enough in a more suburban setting and friend wants suburban. What friend wants, no one cares. She doesn't get a say since she's not the one buying. What her mother wants doesn't matter since she'll do whatever her husband wants. Basically, she's just not really up for debating with him. Her father wants the impossible. So suburban with a rural feel is probably in everyone's best interest. In other words, I think he'd be happy with a community/subdivision with trees and the houses are not that close together. The community/subdivision will satisfy his wife and my friend, while he does not feel cramped or claustrophobic.

They come from Nassau County Long Island where houses are just about on top of each other. He's itching to change how things look, but he's got a list of what he wants. He hasn't bought a house in many many years and has never really dealt with real estate before. He'd be a first-time buyer basically so flexibility is difficult. It's unfortunately something he will have to figure out on his own, but I and my friend are just hoping he'll do that considering in NC rather than SC. He really has no idea how humidity will effect his family (both he and his wife are not well and the heat does effect them), and having a mutual friend to all three of them would be more helpful than one person only known to the parents and is not specifically a close friend. My friend does not socialize much so if she goes to SC, she'd pretty much be on her own. That's what she wants to avoid.

Last edited by Azile; 08-11-2013 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Get this... father wants rural, mother says she wants rural but is happy enough in a more suburban setting and friend wants suburban. What friend wants, no one cares.
Well, it is just about impossible for a third-part to help them resolve their differences. Nobody on this board is going to have the magic solution that will make them all happy.

Since they are from Long Island, anything suburban looks like "rural"' to them. Believe me, they really don't want "rural" if they want sewers, Whole Foods and shopping centers. I'd stick within 20 miles of a city like Winston-Salem or Greensboro. I also sent you a DM with some houses in Burlington, including some one-level end-unit townhouses which I like because they are walking distance to a grocery store.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-11-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Get this... father wants rural, mother says she wants rural but is happy enough in a more suburban setting and friend wants suburban. What friend wants, no one cares. She doesn't get a say since she's not the one buying. What her mother wants doesn't matter since she'll do whatever her husband wants. Basically, she's just not really up for debating with him. Her father wants the impossible. So suburban with a rural feel is probably in everyone's best interest. In other words, I think he'd be happy with a community/subdivision with trees and the houses are not that close together. The community/subdivision will satisfy his wife and my friend, while he does not feel cramped or claustrophobic.

They come from Nassau County Long Island where houses are just about on top of each other. He's itching to change how things look, but he's got a list of what he wants. He hasn't bought a house in many many years and has never really dealt with real estate before. He'd be a first-time buyer basically so flexibility is difficult. It's unfortunately something he will have to figure out on his own, but I and my friend are just hoping he'll do that considering in NC rather than SC. He really has no idea how humidity will effect his family (both he and his wife are not well and the heat does effect them), and having a mutual friend to all three of them would be more helpful than one person only known to the parents and is not specifically a close friend. My friend does not socialize much so if she goes to SC, she'd pretty much be on her own. That's what she wants to avoid.
I'm a baby boomer. My father was in agricultural chemicals. He used to do business with potato farmers on LI. That's probably the father's concept of rural.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 PM

I know. He really doesn't know what to expect. The problem is, he wants what he wants and he doesn't really understand why he can't get it. Sommerville, SC is their first choice right now and I'd hardly call that rural. I come from Nassau County, Long Island too and I'm in Cary. I don't feel this area is anything like Long Island. I'm just helping out my friend who really wants to move here. She never felt it was at all like where she lives now in Long Island. Even she can FEEL the difference in the atmosphere and how pleasant and friendly it is here. Unlike the town they are in now. But, her father is just not giving it much thought and talking himself out of anything that does not fit his wishlist exactly....except for Sommerville. I just don't think he's making the right choice considering his and his wife's medical needs and the likelihood they will need more help than their beloved chiropractor would be willing to give them. It's not my choice to make, and it seems it's not their daughter's choice either. It's just a shame. They'll like it there, I'm sure, but it will be hard for a first time buyer with as many issues as they have to move some place where there really isn't anyone around they all know.

I'm not really trying to change their minds since it's not my place to do so, but I'm just helping their daughter come up with other possibilities that may help them reconsider. I appreciate all the help and ideas you can give.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:18 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,543 times
Quote:
A friend of mine in NY and her family are considering moving to NC. My friend is pretty much sold on moving here, but she still lives with her parents and that is not changing any time soon. Her parents are deciding between South Carolina (Sommerville specifically) or North Carolina. They are leaning more towards SC due to retirement laws. However, they are considering NC if the price is right. My friend does not want to move to SC even though it's not really her decision to make. So she wants to know what are the places in NC that are connected to the sewer system (no septic tanks), rural, low crime, low taxes, decent size houses (~2,000 sq ft) are about $200k-250k, and close enough to the city area where stores like Whole Foods can be found as well as other shopping centers. Schools are not an issue since no one is of school age anymore. She'd prefer some place east of the mountain area so it is not too far from me (Wake County). Her parents already looked at Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, and Wake Forest. While they liked the areas and they were close to what they wanted, neither place won over Sommerville SC. ...not rural enough. Her father is incredibly hard to please. He's the kind of guy who makes a decision and stays with it, even if it's not in everyone's best interest. But, he would consider other areas if it fits his list of desirable places to live. He came to Wake county believing everything looked like the city of Raleigh. He left convincing himself that everything he was was too much like Nassau County NY (which it is not. I know this because I lived there recently enough and still visit every year). I, of course would like to see my friend live closer to me, but I'm fine either way. She and her mother can't stand the high humidity. While NC is humid, SC is worse and Sommerville is right by the coast which is of no help for the humidity levels. Besides the retirement, there's a chiropractor that lives in Sommerville they want to move near to. Not sure what the big deal is with that one, but I'll have to go with it.

Problem #1.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
IMO anyone from LI will view Indian Trail/Union County and parts of Mint Hill, Concord, Huntersville, etc... as rural.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Problem #1.
Agreed. Their budget is too low for much of the Triangle. Has the father been pre-approved for a mortgage? That might be the most realistic step.

To be honest, Summerville, SC is not a bad choice. They can get good medical care there or in Charleston.

BTW, I suggested Burlington, but its crime rate is too high. I'd change that recommendation to Mebane, Clemmons or Gibsonville. Some houses in Apex are in their range, but they are mostly two stories.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Because they are bothered by heat and humidity, my first suggestion would be that they rent, not buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina