Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
"Less expensive" is relative. Under ACA the least expensive plan for me is $308.05/month. Earlier this year I had a catastrophic plan ($10K deductible) I was perfectly happy with and it was only $86.97/month.
You are not allowed to be "happy!" This is politics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Reading the posts and thinking about it for a few minutes, paying the penalty and getting a non-compliant plan with a high deductible 10k or more (assuming that is possible) might be the best economic solution. I'm nearly 62 but in better health than most 40 yr.olds. Haven't made a claim in 30 years and it really irks me that I have spent most of my life making good health choices and now I have to subsidize those who didn't. I am having some trouble understanding the logic for elimination of catastrophic plans unless you are under 30.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM

498 posts, read 854,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
getting a non-compliant plan

But that's what I'm trying to figure out. Will there be such a thing as a non-compliant plan? Is it illegal for insurance companies to offer them? I want to do the numbers on keeping something like my old plan and paying the penalty vs. the new doubled premium, but will non-compliant plans exist for those willing to pay the penalty?

This whole thing is IDIOTIC!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Self-employed folks, the red-haired step-children of the economy, are really taking a hit.

From a friend:
"...said that those of us who wanted to keep our plans could do so. Well my plan is no longer available and I've been forced over to a "comparable" plan but now instead of $450....it's $1,025!"
The comparable plan also has an $11,000 major medical deductible for each family member.
This makes me want to scream and is one of the reasons that despite my lefty leanings I am really unhappy with how this all went down. The deductible - all they every talked about when getting this passed were premiums - and the assumption that we could keep our plans. Incredibly irresponsible, incredibly short sighted and out of touch.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I currently have an HSA - deductible of $1750 which seemed outrageous until I started seeing the ones put forth by BCBS. Haven't met it yet. Haven't contributed to the plan to save for future costs (one of the strengths - it's portable) - too many other things to pay for, including the bills until I meet the deductible. I'm pretty healthy but have been rationing healthcare and more than once told a doctor to please skimp on testing given my insurance.

yay.

Would probably be very interested in a noncompliant plan. Also very briefly considered dropping it altogether and paying the 2014 penalty - something I could not have imagined months ago - but I don't want to contribute to the problem. Really, anything catastrophic can happen and prefer not to be uninsured in an ER.

They need to fix this and fix it fast...and the pundits on my side need to stop talking about subsidies. I venture a guess that most people will not qualify, though i have no idea of the breakdown in the state.

My other solution: big time job hunt, and/or move to a state with better insurance.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
My quote was actually better than what my husband's workplace is currently offering. However we didn't qualify as his insurance didn't meet the affordability criteria.

As for deductibles/coinsurances, the numbers here seem normal to me as this is the type of coverage we have been offered through the employers the last several years. (retail management)

Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
I must admit that I was strongly against this system from the get go! I was very happy with my BC/BS plan prior to this mess and felt that my premium ($327/mo) was reasonable given my age, deductible, etc. I don't consider $725/mo reasonable for someone who is in excellent health. My son's policy will increase from $230/month for a family of 4 to well over $800. Neither of us are eligible for subsidies. That is quite a bit hit to take and while I could manage it I know that many others can't.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I can't help wondering if NC's lack of Medicaid expansion lead to such drastic premium increases.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
These price increases are no shock to all of us that never drank the koolaid ...
It is going to get worse...

Old 10-10-2013, 09:11 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I must admit that I was strongly against this system from the get go! I was very happy with my BC/BS plan prior to this mess and felt that my premium ($327/mo) was reasonable given my age, deductible, etc. I don't consider $725/mo reasonable for someone who is in excellent health. My son's policy will increase from $230/month for a family of 4 to well over $800. Neither of us are eligible for subsidies. That is quite a bit hit to take and while I could manage it I know that many others can't.
$230/month is incredible (at least to me) for a family of 4. Why is it going to increase in both of your policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina