Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 14,436 times

Advertisements

Reposted from another post:

Opinion of a NC native with long NC family roots...

Burlington/Greensboro/Winston-Salem is the "industrial" area of NC
Folks deride the Burlington/Greensboro/Winston-Salem area as "ignorant trash"

Chapel Hill / Durham / Raleigh is the "government and research" area of NC
Folks deride Chapel Hill / Durham / Raleigh as "loony elitists"

Charlotte is the "business" area of NC
Folks deride Charlotte as "stuck-up wannabees"

Obviously these are exaggerated generalizations: Durham has long been known as the crime capital of NC (perceived or real) and is also home to Duke University / Medical School; Downtown Winston-Salem smells like a big cigar from the tobacco facilities and is also the home to Wake Forest University / Medical School and Salem College; etc...

If I had to pick a place to raise a family out of these, it would probably be Winston-Salem.
If I had to pick a place to live as a young single, it would probably be Raleigh.
Chapel Hill and Charlotte would be lowest on my list: too many pseudo-intellectual left-wingers in the former and too many uncaring right-wingers in the latter - (exaggerated generalizations? - maybe...)

Asheville and Wilmington are fiefdoms unto themselves.

Fayetteville, Jacksonville, and Goldsboro are military towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 06:17 PM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
Way to go in starting a completely useless and argumentative thread rife with stereotypes that do nothing but serve to insult.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:35 AM

758 posts, read 2,287,839 times
I second that. Why did you post, displaced.highlander?

Jan

Old 11-25-2007, 01:18 PM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Way to go in starting a completely useless and argumentative thread rife with stereotypes that do nothing but serve to insult.
HAHAHAHA I find it hilarious I got a negative rep point for my post yet the original post is NOTHING but insulting! What a joke! Can't we quit bashing other areas and just enjoy where you live? CHILDISH

Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Well, I thoroughly enjoy living where I do and can't be bothered with anyone trying to tell me that some other part of the state is better, simply because they think so and say so. I am where I want to be at this time in my life and think of it as a sort of paradise, but I certainly don't expect everyone, or even most of the folks in this forum, to agree as everyone has his/her own idea of what paradise is. If someone in a post asks about my area of NC I will gladly give them what information I have so they can make up their own minds, but I won't bash anyone else's area as that is not only rude it is sophomoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina