Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 AM

217 posts, read 879,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Failure to signal should be an immediate $300 fine. The fact that you are too lazy to flick your fingers for a second for the benefit of all the drivers in the area is ridiculous and you should be punished. Look how easy and smoothly traffic would go if everyone signaled!! It shows your intent. How many times have you been in a situation where if someone signaled, you could have gone out onto a road from a stop sign but since they didn't signal, you had to be more cautious and wait?? I always flip that driver off and scream at them. Sometimes they see this and have a quizzical look on their faces. Ignorant slobs.

One thing is, people here take their damn time in changing lanes often without signaling. If someone has their signal on, I always let them in because I know what they want to do and appreciate the fact they informed me. It's those that don't signal and lolly-gag to the next lane over that pisses me off. When I lived in NJ, I would say 90% of the people would signal whereas here, it's not even 50/50.

That's one reason I hate driving in NJ and the NYC area in general. People are so liberal with flipping people off and blowing their horns for the smallest infraction.

Every time I drive through NJ I wouldn't say 90% are using turn signals. Probably more like 50%. Most of the time, they are trying to cut you off so they can squeeze into the space in front of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I've been driving for 17 years and I have never had an issue when someone signals and they don't turn.
That's odd, because it happens to me frequently.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:06 PM

58 posts, read 229,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Some of us moved to North Carolina voluntarily, because we wanted to live here - because we saw enough of the state before moving to know we wanted to live here - and we try hard to blend in and look for the positive. I use the post name Mikey_NC with great pride. Our complaining associate here has a post name that does not suit him as he apparently doesn't like living here. A Tarheel, as I am told, is a native son/daughter. As an aside, the worst drivers I ever encountered (and I have had occasion to drive in at least 24 of these United States) have been in Chicago, Detroit, all of New Jersey and all of West Virginia. That is merely my opinion based upon my observations while driving in those places.
I created the SN because I am a big tarheels fan. There should have been an s after tarheels, I guess. The natives in NC dont like people calling themselves tarheels if they werent born here. Same goes with other states.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:04 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times
My take on the situation is that bad driving is everywhere. One thing I do notice in NC is that enforcement is laking compared to any other area I have ever lived in. I mean enforcement even in Raleigh is pretty laughable.

A couple of weeks ago they had this "crackdown" on illegal driving behavior before Thanksgiving and after a couple of days of this, my drive on the Beltline was so NICE. People were actually going "around" the speed limit and not driving as crazy as they were a few days later. Cops were stopping people left and right. Fast forward to today with a little ice on the roads and people were driving like idiots yet again. 85-90 in a 60 mph zone with freezing rain on the roads. Unreal...

Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheel07 View Post
I created the SN because I am a big tarheels fan. There should have been an s after tarheels, I guess. The natives in NC dont like people calling themselves tarheels if they werent born here. Same goes with other states.
"Ah herd thaat" as my closest native friend down here always says. He also says that, if I can change my accent to something more like the Raleigh sound, I might be able to fake it and then buy a plate like he has on his car...it reads "NATIVE".

Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
[/b]

That's one reason I hate driving in NJ and the NYC area in general. People are so liberal with flipping people off and blowing their horns for the smallest infraction.

Every time I drive through NJ I wouldn't say 90% are using turn signals. Probably more like 50%. Most of the time, they are trying to cut you off so they can squeeze into the space in front of you.
tallylady46:

I spent a lot of time in NJ and in Brooklyn and agree with your assessment. Have you ever driven on Interstate 95 in Rhode Island, the only place on the system that has exits and entrances at the same point, and where folks tailgate you, whiplash by you, cut you off...and all just to get off at the exit? At least down here they don't flip you off or mash their horns all the time Fohgeddabowdit!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:43 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,458 times
My observation of the roads in the US is this: Everybody is _always_ driving too fast, even the cops. Add to that the distraction of cellphones, in-dash DVD players, eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, etc., and the fact that so many people drive 3-ton trucks these days and call them cars...and the roads in this country are absolutely frightening.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 AM

653 posts, read 2,704,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
My observation of the roads in the US is this: Everybody is _always_ driving too fast, even the cops. Add to that the distraction of cellphones, in-dash DVD players, eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, etc., and the fact that so many people drive 3-ton trucks these days and call them cars...and the roads in this country are absolutely frightening.
Now that's the truth. Cell phones, iPods, CD, DVD, mp3, GPS, a different thermostat to control the temperature of every square inch. The dashboards and consoles of vehicles these days look more like the cockpit of a fighter jet than of a car.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:17 PM

58 posts, read 229,091 times
The main problems are the tailgating and the turnsignals like I said. Then the old people driving 35 in a 55 and then the young people driving 80 in a 55. If we could all comprimise at 55mph, we would all be fine. This goes for every state.

as someone mentioned today, ice on the roads, lots of wrecks around raliegh. I drove out to raliegh for something the other day and I felt like i was driving in detroit out on 440. that being said, they drive more sane in raliegh than around here in rocky mount/wilson.

problem today was going waaaaaaaaay too fast on slick roads. I was taking my time comming over an overpass near my house on a 2-lane, and I got passed by someone who flipped me the bird. I was doing 45 going over it in a 55. Ice/snow/rain=slow down.

this does happen everywhere, but in the south were there is not much snow, locals dont know how to drive properly on them.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Ban cell phones if you want it safer on the road.

The other day I watched a guy stop at a green light, the take off when it turned red. I'm sure if asked him he would profess with great indiginity that his cell phone use has not effect on his driving.

Today I rode with a friend to Charlotte to pick up some equipment. Had time to watch other drivers, and every time someone made a stupid move, couldn't stay in their lane, cut people off when changing lanes every single one of them was on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina