Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:53 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheel07 View Post
locals dont know how to drive properly on them.
<Devil's Advocate > More like they are so comfortable on those roads they feel they could drive them in their sleep - in any condition - and don't see why other drivers are being so wimpy.

You have my sympathy. Two decades ago, newly transplanted here from the utter flatlands of the prairies, I was gingerly learning to drive the twisty mountain roads. People would be on my tail, swinging by me, and generally scaring the crap outa me with what I saw as insane driving I was so upset when I reached the next gas station, I recognized one of the drivers who had so blithely passed me on a hairpin curve and tore strips into him. I mean, I could've been KILLED! He brushed me off, after all he had learned to drive on those same hills and curves, what was the fuss? I was also one of those "damned outsiders who moved in here trying to tell us how to drive on our own roads."

I've just learned to *shrug* and not blow a gasket. They aren't going to change and I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of having a stroke over it. I have had a few satisfying experiences where one of those drivers passed me only to go off into the ditch a few miles down the road. I've always stopped to see if they were OK, but couldn't refrain from saying "stupid driving hurts, doesn't it?" before heading on down the road to the next house to ask them to call the police and a tow truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 04:10 AM

217 posts, read 878,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
My observation of the roads in the US is this: Everybody is _always_ driving too fast, even the cops. Add to that the distraction of cellphones, in-dash DVD players, eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, etc., and the fact that so many people drive 3-ton trucks these days and call them cars...and the roads in this country are absolutely frightening.
So true.

I have witnessed every bad driving maneuver mentioned in this thread, in every state I've driven through and lived. Just skim through other forums or read newspapers online from all over the country. One common theme is bad driving.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:15 AM

217 posts, read 878,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
tallylady46:

I spent a lot of time in NJ and in Brooklyn and agree with your assessment. Have you ever driven on Interstate 95 in Rhode Island, the only place on the system that has exits and entrances at the same point, and where folks tailgate you, whiplash by you, cut you off...and all just to get off at the exit? At least down here they don't flip you off or mash their horns all the time Fohgeddabowdit!
I am very familiar with I-95 through Rhode Island. That is one crazy stretch of highway.

I don't feel sane again until I get 30 minutes or so into Maine.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
I always wonder when I see out of state cars creeping around our roads, obvious scared to death. Do they routinely drive off the road where they are from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina