Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,926,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
And... if they give out NO vouchers and the same people who are already going to send their kids to private school send them anyway (I suspect they will)... what are we really gaining?

Every voucher NOT handed out (and parents paying for their own kids to go to private schools out of their own pockets... or homeschooling, which happens pretty often, too)... saves 4500 dollars.

So to qualify for the voucher you need to qualify for free and reduced-price lunches. Do you think their are many families the quality for free lunch and pay for private school now? WTG to those parents that can make that work, but I think they are the exception not the rule.

"The measure calls for spending $10 million in its first year, giving $4,200 grants to students who qualify for free and reduced-price lunches. In the second year, the program would set aside $40 million. In that second year, students who come from families who made between 100 percent up to 133 percent of the free and reduced-price lunch threshold would also be able to get grants, but for only 90 percent of the full $4,200. "--Wral
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
So to qualify for the voucher you need to qualify for free and reduced-price lunches. Do you think their are many families the quality for free lunch and pay for private school now? WTG to those parents that can make that work, but I think they are the exception not the rule.

"The measure calls for spending $10 million in its first year, giving $4,200 grants to students who qualify for free and reduced-price lunches. In the second year, the program would set aside $40 million. In that second year, students who come from families who made between 100 percent up to 133 percent of the free and reduced-price lunch threshold would also be able to get grants, but for only 90 percent of the full $4,200. "--Wral

You see where this is headed, right?

Number 1: Most private schools cost more than 4200 a year, so this means that kids on free/reduced lunch are not likely to use these vouchers... except maybe at church schools (which I am completely against).

Number 2: As the program goes one (and it will) you'll see that it will allow people who make up to 133 percent of the reduced-price lunch threshold to get these grants... Which means that a family of 5 making 66458.77 per year can get a voucher of 3780 per year to send their kids to a private school. Does it look like there's any room in that family budget for money to supplement that tuition? Nope. Sooo... you will get cheap, church-run schools, quite possibly out there teaching creationism or some such nonsense.

I really don't think this is going to get them into higher-cost private schools. They already have grant programs for smart kids who are lower income to attend those.

And, if they chose to let mom homeschool the kids (assuming she's a SAHM, which is not at all unlikely at this pay bracket in an intact household)... it would cost the taxpayers NOTHING.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM

So to sum up

You would deprive a parent’s choice to choose a better education because they may also learn some religion?
Even though this would save the schools money, let the parent decide if the kids could use a religious school or not. Again I’m not religious, but I like the values that can come from that education.

I live in an area where the elementary school is pretty good, but the middle school was sketchy at bet. Thankfully a charter option became available to us. Choice is better.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So to sum up

You would deprive a parent’s choice to choose a better education because they may also learn some religion?
Even though this would save the schools money, let the parent decide if the kids could use a religious school or not. Again I’m not religious, but I like the values that can come from that education.

I live in an area where the elementary school is pretty good, but the middle school was sketchy at bet. Thankfully a charter option became available to us. Choice is better.

No.... that's really not my point. If our public schools were better, nobody would be deprived of a top-notch education, regardless of income. We need to spend that 10 mil on the public school system, which is something that we DO get taxed for.

If the parent wants their kid in a religious school (of any kind) they can pay for it or ask their church/synagogue/mosque, etc to help them afford it. Isn't religion about charity?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Meh...Sorry I can't make you understand the math. It must be because of my public education.

We can move on to solve something else...Batman V Superman?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times
Quote:

I thought that what this whole thread was about or is it Batman vs Joker.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Meh...Sorry I can't make you understand the math. It must be because of my public education.

I'm sorry you don't get that this is more complicated than math.

And everyone knows that Batman and Superman have nothing on Iron Man.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:45 PM

What will Cooper lie about in 2016 to get elected?

AG Roy Cooper settles long-running suit, offers apology | State Politics | NewsObserver.com

Old 04-18-2014, 03:27 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,678,767 times
School vouchers, medicaid eligibility , etc., are "fringe" issues in NC. The moral monday people make for good media headlines, but IMO, they don't represent the mainstream of this state.

Like always, the vast majority of people who will vote, are concerned about high taxes, jobs, crime, & cost of living & government corruption. The candidate & party that demonstrates they will do the better job on these issues in NC will win the election.

Perdue left her first term with such a bad reputation on these issues that even her own party would not support her re-election. I think McCrory, so far, is in much better shape. i.e. the people who voted for him over Perdue will most likely vote for him again. Cooper is going to have a tough time changing this.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:26 AM

412 posts, read 685,164 times
I can only hope that NC shifts back toward moderate next election. The current state government is trying to make our state into another Texas - relaxing environmental standards, killing public education, destroying a woman's right to reproductive choice and giving away tax cuts to the state's wealthiest citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina