Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I find it disgusting that the parents of a suffering child feel it is more important to use him/her as a prop instead of locating where they can get the necessary medical treatment. Get your child healthy first. This isn't the child's home state since they moved from Massachusetts. If the couple had done 20 microseconds of research they would have realized something like this could happen. My thoughts and prayers are with the child not their selfish parents.

Wow. You do realize that many gays are native to North Carolina, right? Are you suggesting they should move somewhere else just because small minds won't acknowledge their right to health and happiness? Perhaps selfishness has nothing to do with this couple's actions...maybe they are attempting to make things better not only for their children, but for many others who will fall victim to the same sort of discrimination.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think you simply cannot name any, man. Just be honest enough to admit it.
Let's see:

1. Heterosexual marriage was the building block for human families and society, the definition of which should not be changed on a whim.
2. If marriage can be redefined as also being between a homosexual couple, it opens the door for any type of sexual relationship to be called marriage such as polygamy.
3. Once clearly-defined, historical terms for relationships can be redefined on a whim by the noisiest minority they become meaningless.

Bunch of other reasons about gender differences complimenting each other, we are predisposed to a heterosexual family structure, a strong heterosexual marriage is a healthy environment for kids, biological relationships are stronger, long term sociological effects of gay marriage are unknown, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoir View Post
Marriage confers numerous benefits relating to property, medical decisions, child rearing and taxes. Thus denying them the option of marriage does take away constitutionally protected rights. If you find gays so odious, don't marry one.

A benefit is not a right.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Wow. You do realize that many gays are native to North Carolina, right? Are you suggesting they should move somewhere else just because small minds won't acknowledge their right to health and happiness? Perhaps selfishness has nothing to do with this couple's actions...maybe they are attempting to make things better not only for their children, but for many others who will fall victim to the same sort of discrimination.
I realize that. I also realize that a child's health comes first. I also realize there is no "right" to health and happiness. What I'm suggesting is that if they are unable to get proper treatment in this state, they move to a location that will get their child proper treatment. I can't believe you folks are willing to sacrifice a child's health on the altar of gay marriage.

Keep in mind my stance is the exact same as Barack Obama's, The Clinton's and numerous other "Progressive" politicians. So save some of your vitriol for them too.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:57 PM

90 posts, read 119,004 times
Quote:
A benefit is not a right.
The rights to property are mentioned numerous times in the constitution. The case that took down doma was in regards to the estate tax and whether it applied to a gay couple. The Supreme Court ruled that it did not due to equal protection.

I would also suggest reading the federalist papers as they clearly show the framers fears of the majority imposing their will on the minority.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Once again, there is no right to marriage, it is a privilege granted by the state. Gays are far from second class citizens, in fact they get First Class Plus treatment in some circumstances especially if a crime is committed against them. When they have to sit at a separate lunch counter or are denied jobs, the right to speak, assemble, practice religion, own firearms, vote, etc. then you can claim they are 2nd class citizens.
Point is North Carolina under full faith and credit clause must recognize marriages perform in other states. This is similar how first cousins can marry in this state but first cousins cant get married in other states but we must recognize their marriages and legal responsibilities that bring and vice versa.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-09-2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Let's see:

1. Heterosexual marriage was the building block for human families and society, the definition of which should not be changed on a whim.
2. If marriage can be redefined as also being between a homosexual couple, it opens the door for any type of sexual relationship to be called marriage such as polygamy.
3. Once clearly-defined, historical terms for relationships can be redefined on a whim by the noisiest minority they become meaningless.

Bunch of other reasons about gender differences complimenting each other, we are predisposed to a heterosexual family structure, a strong heterosexual marriage is a healthy environment for kids, biological relationships are stronger, long term sociological effects of gay marriage are unknown, etc.
Letting gay people get married will have no bearing on anyone's heterosexual marriage.

People could ask for polygamy any time, with no bearing on gay marriage, so I can't see the relevance.

Not clear on why anyone wants to prevent any other person from having the right to marry. The gay marriage topic is about adult couples. My marriage is what my husband and I make it. Period.

Dragging polygamy and marrying your pet turtle into this discussion is a fat, ugly red herring.

Leap into the modern world.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 PM

90 posts, read 119,004 times
Quote:
Let's see:

2. No one is mentioning polgamy except you. Straw man argument.

3. Interracial marriage was also outlawed fo centuries here. Should we have kept that prohibition too?

Your bunch of reasons have a lot of claims...care to provide sources?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Don't you think Georgia (mainly due to Atlanta) would overturn gay marriage before NC? Correct me if I'm mistaken. I'm not surprised Virginia overturned gay marriage before NC since it's a much bluer state overall.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 04-09-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Don't you think Georgia (mainly due to Atlanta) would overturn gay marriage before NC? Correct me if I'm mistaken. I'm not surprised Virginia overturned gay marriage before NC.
Aside from Atlanta (and maybe Athens), GA is very red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina