Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Basically if a person CHOOSES to move here and then finds that the area doesn't meet their needs, you can chalk it up to poor research.
not sure I agree with this. if a person moves here, only then can said person experience what it's actually like living somewhere they have only previously visited. Perception is not always reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 04:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
not sure I agree with this. if a person moves here, only then can said person experience what it's actually like living somewhere they have only previously visited. Perception is not always reality.
I do think that a great deal of this perception issue can be mitigated by good research. I agree with twingles in that regard.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
The issue is that folks mindlessly move to NC for cheaper taxes and warmer weather.

When they get here, some are stupefied that "it is not like this where I used to live."

In some cases, this translates to boring.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do think that a great deal of this perception issue can be mitigated by good research. I agree with twingles in that regard.
I agree that some people seem to have a very different image of a place than what they end up getting. With the internet now it's very different moving to a place than it used to be. You can really scope it out. The information is just... there.

My parents moved here in the 80s because they wanted a place with mountains and beaches, a warm climate, and opportunities to work in theater. At the time, they also had relatives in New York and Florida and this was a convenient equidistant location for them. Bunch of other things went into it. They were surprised to discover the degree that politics were racially charged here, especially in the schools. They were also really troubled by the amount of segregation in churches here. Gradually, over 20 years, the Triangle shifted closer to politics they were comfortable with but they were definitely not happy at first.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I am going to agree too. I also think that part of a person's research should be visiting a few times for more then just a weekend. It takes that kind of time to get the feel for the area.

One variable that can't be determined with research is how people feel when leaving family behind. I have seen people post they are unhappy here because they have moved away from family and miss them. It is a decision that people make but you really can not anticipate 100% how you are going to feel or handle the distance until you are here for a few months. This might make someone regret the move but it does not mean NC is boring.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post

One variable that can't be determined with research is how people feel when leaving family behind. I have seen people post they are unhappy here because they have moved away from family and miss them. It is a decision that people make but you really can not anticipate 100% how you are going to feel or handle the distance until you are here for a few months. This might make someone regret the move but it does not mean NC is boring.
I doubt someone would confuse boredom with missing family. I would agree though that people should visit at least several times prior to relocating and decide if the feedback they're getting through various sources syncs well with reality.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,708 times
A lot of transplants come from NY, probably within a 1-2hr driving distance to NYC. The closest "big city" to NC is probably DC.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
A lot of transplants come from NY, probably within a 1-2hr driving distance to NYC. The closest "big city" to NC is probably DC.
And Atlanta, but it depends on what part of NC you are in. However, anyone who moves to NC thinking there is a "big city" here clearly has NOT done their research, unless Charlotte meets their needs.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,299 times
I spent a couple of weeks recently on Long Island NY and I couldn't believe how many people there spoke highly of NC. Most everyone I ran into were planning to retire or seek employment in NC, few people had ever visited the state. In NY, CT, NJ etc they pay more real estate taxes per month than we pay yearly. I think if I lived up there I would seriously consider a move.
NC, VA (outside of DC) is a different culture to them and most are unfamiliar with our strong religious views which are unique to this part of the U.S. I believe in the years ahead VA & NC will become more expensive places to live as these new transplants bring more higher incomes here thus creating more demand for higher priced homes and a more expensive standard of living.
I guess SC will be the next beneficiary of transplants, who knows?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Then that's true of anywhere, and after a scant two months you're ready to move on. What do you expect will change in your next location?

It's easy enough from visiting and research to tell what a place is like before you move. Again - if you are drawn to big city life and a "city that never sleeps" atmosphere, you're going to be bored in all but the biggest US cities. Things like that are easily discernible.
If your social life revolves around your family, and they don't come with you, you're going to be in for a shock.

As I mentioned earlier "everyone else likes it there so I will too" is a mistake.

I know you're unhappy here. You have several things working against you

-you live in an apartment, which by its nature is going to have a more transient and "rootless" population that a subdivision full of home
- you have no kids and kids are an automatic icebreaker in so many ways - at the bus stop, at school, at sporting events
- you work from home - work is a great way to expand your social network

These things are not going to change no matter where you go, but I wish you luck in the quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina