Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:17 PM

127 posts, read 600,361 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing alot of people on these forums quoting crime rate statistics for different cities and comparing them, so I did a little looking at the crime stats myself and found some very questionable data.

I compared crime rates in cities in Southern California with cities in North Carolina and found that many areas in SoCal seem to have lower crime rates than places like Greensboro, Charlolette and Raleigh. I lived in SoCal for 25 years and from firsthand experience I can say there is much more crime there than here. The data seems to be quite bit skewed.

Take for example the number of burglaries in Compton California (653.5 per 100,000) vs. Greensboro North Carolina (1536.9 per 100,000). How can a city that has 2 inch thick bulletproof glass at a pizza hut have fewer burgluries than a city like Greensboro???

Is it because bulletproof glass in most establishments prevents burglaries? I doubt it. My theory is that the crime rates can only be based on crimes that are REPORTED to the police. In higher crime areas only crimes that are substantial are reported. In lower crime areas people will report even the smallest of crimes. It just takes a simple glance in one of the published crime reports in the small community local papers here in North Carolina to explain some of the skewed data. For example, you'll read about how someone had a six pack of beer stolen from the refridgerator in their garage or about some kids that threw rocks at someones mailbox. In most many places in SoCal crimes like that go unreported. I can just imagine someone in SoCal calling the police to report a missing six-pack of budweiser. Heck, you'd probably be ticketed by the police for harassing them to report such a crime.

I can't seem to comprehend how a city like Greensboro can be considered a more dangerous city than El Monte. (if you've been to El Monte, you'll know what I'm talking about). Something HAS to be throwing this data out of whack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 01:53 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,861 times
Believe it. Poverty begats crime, and the south has most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
I've been seeing alot of people on these forums quoting crime rate statistics for different cities and comparing them, so I did a little looking at the crime stats myself and found some very questionable data.

I compared crime rates in cities in Southern California with cities in North Carolina and found that many areas in SoCal seem to have lower crime rates than places like Greensboro, Charlolette and Raleigh. I lived in SoCal for 25 years and from firsthand experience I can say there is much more crime there than here. The data seems to be quite bit skewed.

Take for example the number of burglaries in Compton California (653.5 per 100,000) vs. Greensboro North Carolina (1536.9 per 100,000). How can a city that has 2 inch thick bulletproof glass at a pizza hut have fewer burgluries than a city like Greensboro???

Is it because bulletproof glass in most establishments prevents burglaries? I doubt it. My theory is that the crime rates can only be based on crimes that are REPORTED to the police. In higher crime areas only crimes that are substantial are reported. In lower crime areas people will report even the smallest of crimes. It just takes a simple glance in one of the published crime reports in the small community local papers here in North Carolina to explain some of the skewed data. For example, you'll read about how someone had a six pack of beer stolen from the refridgerator in their garage or about some kids that threw rocks at someones mailbox. In most many places in SoCal crimes like that go unreported. I can just imagine someone in SoCal calling the police to report a missing six-pack of budweiser. Heck, you'd probably be ticketed by the police for harassing them to report such a crime.

I can't seem to comprehend how a city like Greensboro can be considered a more dangerous city than El Monte. (if you've been to El Monte, you'll know what I'm talking about). Something HAS to be throwing this data out of whack!

Old 10-28-2006, 02:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
Quote:

I'm not sure of the source of your Greensboro data, but the NC State Bureau of Investigation reported 3,954 burglaries per 100K residents for the City of Greensboro in 2005. The statewide average for North Carolina was 1,218.4 per 100K.

2005 NC SBI Crime Report

http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/public/2005/Publications/2005%20Annual%20Summary%20Revised.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 10-28-2006 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-28-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Believe it. Poverty begats crime, and the south has most of it.
Your math seems to have some problems.

Greensboro NC
Median household income: $39,661 adjusted to cost of living = 53,917

Compton CA
Median household income: $31,819 adjusted to cost of living = 23,405

El Monte CA
Median household income: $32,439 adjusted to cost of living = 23,861

These numbers seem to show that both Compton AND El Monte California are more poverty stricken than Greensboro. Have you BEEN to Compton?

Old 10-28-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I'm not sure of the source of your Greensboro data, but the NC State Bureau of Investigation reported 3,954 burglaries per 100K residents for the City of Greensboro in 2005. The statewide average for North Carolina was 1,218.4 per 100K.
I was looking at the stats on city-data.com (the site this forum is on).

Old 10-28-2006, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 29,670 times
My husband and I are thinking of moving our family to the Charlotte area and I was also shocked to see the comparative crime report. I currently live right outside San Francisco and work in the heart of the city where I am afraid to even park my car in the daytime. I am curious to know in the Midwood neighborhood for example (which has 4X the crime rate of my current neighborhood) what is the PERCEIVED crime rate.
I feel pretty safe in my neighborhood but I also know to be smart.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Your math seems to have some problems.

Greensboro NC
Median household income: $39,661 adjusted to cost of living = 53,917

Compton CA
Median household income: $31,819 adjusted to cost of living = 23,405

El Monte CA
Median household income: $32,439 adjusted to cost of living = 23,861

These numbers seem to show that both Compton AND El Monte California are more poverty stricken than Greensboro. Have you BEEN to Compton?
True. Percentage of residents living below the poverty level:

Greensboro, NC - 12.3%
Compton, CA - 28.0%
El Monte, CA - 26.1%

North Carolina - 13.4%
California - 13.8%
United States - 12.5%

Source - U.S. Bureau of the Census

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/ (broken link)

Old 10-28-2006, 05:47 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,746,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post

2005 NC SBI Crime Report

http://<b><font color="Blue">http://...pdf</font></b>
I just looked at this report, since city-data.com is my site, and 3,954 is a total number of burglaries in Greensboro in 2005, not per 100,000 residents. So the crime data on city-data.com is correct.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
3,954 is a total number of burglaries in Greensboro in 2005, not per 100,000 residents.
I agree. Thanks for the correction.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 16,093 times
Default I totally agree!

[quote=liveInNC;142691]I've been seeing alot of people on these forums quoting crime rate statistics for different cities and comparing them, so I did a little looking at the crime stats myself and found some very questionable data.

I compared crime rates in cities in Southern California with cities in North Carolina and found that many areas in SoCal seem to have lower crime rates than places like Greensboro, Charlolette and Raleigh. I lived in SoCal for 25 years and from firsthand experience I can say there is much more crime there than here. The data seems to be quite bit skewed...

------
We picked up a few local papers on our home search near Winston Salem. (Kernersville and Clemmons) and I can tell you first-hand that we saw Dog Bites, family arguements, rain coat stolen from car, etc. Almost no crimes that us northerners consider a real crime! Read a northern paper and say a suburb of Philadelphia and note the rapes, muggings, etc. I can't wait to move to NC even if my apple pie is stolen from the window ledge!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point